Hawks have $26mil in cap space in 2015.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
We can save 800k if we cut Wilson, anyone tempted?

A couple of observations.

Big cap savings seem to be against Bane and Miller.

Also just how much does that 7.2m in dead money to Harvin suck balls?

2_0_6

Reaction score
Bane is going nowhere, and with Miller restructuring last season I doubt he goes anywhere unless he decides to hang them up and spend time with his twins.

Chawks1

Reaction score
Does this show our $8m carryover from this year. Doesn't look like it. Could mean we would have even more $$$ To sign everyone. I have no worries we will take care of evryone that needs to get done and be able to go shopping for other players.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Miller to me is more likely to be gone than Mebane. He's always injured it seems. Everyone seems to think Mebane is expendable now just because we've played well without him but his number isn't bad for his ability and we don't have a ton of depth at that spot, to the point where our fullback is on the chart there right now.

I haven't been following the cap much yet, does this also include however much the cap will be increasing for all teams this season?

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Didn't Miller restructure for guaranteed money next year, or am I imagining that?

TXHawk

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":3hd15id9 said:
Didn't Miller restructure for guaranteed money next year, or am I imagining that?

Miller has $1M guaranteed and $3M cap savings if cut. I expect him back if healthy.

There isn't really anyone that they have to cut in order to extend Wilson and Wagner since the big cap hits for those two wouldn't take place until 2016. Beastmode was the one most assumed would be a cap casualty after this season but the way he has played I think they would be nuts to not try to bring him back.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Lynch is still technically under contract for next year. Now he could try to hold out again, but I don't think he would get much for it.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Chawks1":h630qg5o said:
Does this show our $8m carryover from this year. Doesn't look like it. Could mean we would have even more $$$ To sign everyone. I have no worries we will take care of evryone that needs to get done and be able to go shopping for other players.

Our current unspent Cap $ is $5,226,852 right now. Our Carry over from this year have not been added to the 2015 numbers posted by http://overthecap.com/ or http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Supposedly the cap number will go up this offseason so that would mean even more $ available.

ivotuk

Reaction score
John Schneider is genius!

How good does that Perchy Harvest screw up look now huh? At fist it seemed like a disaster but after dumping him, we not only saved cap space that might have been spent on Golden Tate, but we re-signed Avril and Wright, and should be able to sign Russell Wilson and Bobby Wagner this year!

That and we have 2 young up and coming receivers in PRich and Norwood.

I love how our front office can change what looked like a disaster in to a coup!

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
ivotuk":2sa7vdx6 said:
John Schneider is genius!

How good does that Perchy Harvest screw up look now huh? At fist it seemed like a disaster but after dumping him, we not only saved cap space that might have been spent on Golden Tate, but we re-signed Avril and Wright, and should be able to sign Russell Wilson and Bobby Wagner this year!

That and we have 2 young up and coming receivers in PRich and Norwood.

I love how our front office can change what looked like a disaster in to a coup!

Even there is some dead money this year, dumping Harvin was in the best interests of the long term financial future of this team. We definitely would not have been able to keep all the players we are now able to keep and I would think K.J. Wright and Avril as well as Irvin would be prime suspects for people we may not have been able to afford. I am much happier now that that is behind us and we can focus on the future.

RobBaker7714409

Reaction score
This money will be gone in the blink of an eye. When you factor in Russell's extension, Bobby's extension, signing our draft picks, tendering our restricted free agents, & signing a practice squad, the "real" figure of available cap will most likely be well under $5 million. Also keep in mind that teams like to keep around $3 million in cap room available during the season to sign free agents when current players go on Injured Reserved. In other words, don't expect much.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
IMO I think we can move on from Okung and use his money for something else. He is getting older, he is always injured. I dont think he is a terrible player, and sometimes even maybe quite good, but for the money we save, and the people we have who have shown they can fill in, I say we move on.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
The weeks after the Super Bowl will be interesting. You know right? With the Parade and getting deals done.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
bbsplitter":10sctmn7 said:
IMO I think we can move on from Okung and use his money for something else. He is getting older, he is always injured. I dont think he is a terrible player, and sometimes even maybe quite good, but for the money we save, and the people we have who have shown they can fill in, I say we move on.

I think so too..I would be shocked if Okung is on this team unless he signs a 1 year lower deal

hawknation2015

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":2br666nk said:
bbsplitter":2br666nk said:

I think so too..I would be shocked if Okung is on this team unless he signs a 1 year lower deal

Prepare yourself to be shocked.

Pie Romania

Reaction score
And who do you guys think we have to play the left side? Bailey is better suited at Guard IMO. Okung's contract drops 4 million this next year to a 7.2m cap hit, so while I'm not much of an Okung fan, I don't see him going anywhere without a replacement in place. Even if we draft someone in the 1st or 2nd round, I see them letting the draft pick compete and if he doesn't outperform Okung/Britt, he'll develop for year as a backup. If we're drafting for an Okung replacement and he can't beat out Britt, I'll be worried.

I want Clemmings for this scenario. Tons of potential, but a project of sorts and Pete/John have shown they're not afraid of taking on a project early in the draft. I think he could start at RT his rookie year. Britt would be depth and when Okung goes down (he does every single year), Clemmings could give the left side a shot with Britt at RT.

I also don't want to see Mebane gone. Between he & Miller, I'd prefer to keep Bane. Only way I'm OK with it is if he's traded for good compensation AND we know we can get Suh on a front loaded contract that drops when Wilson/Wagner's contracts jump up. Don't see that happening though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bbsplitter":2o9vjxqe said:

Okung's big cap hit was this year @ 11M, next year he only costs 7M against the cap.

So the question is where are you going to find a above average starting LT for 7M a year? The answer is you're not, all the good ones aren't free agents, nor would their team's allow them to be become free agents or traded due to that position's value.

So I guess you could try and draft a LT, but that's a risky risky plan my friend. Pay the man 7M, or restructure his contract to another 2-3 years for an even lower hit on the cap.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Pie Romania":fzmg49gn said:
And who do you guys think we have to play the left side? Bailey is better suited at Guard IMO. Okung's contract drops 4 million this next year to a 7.2m cap hit, so while I'm not much of an Okung fan, I don't see him going anywhere without a replacement in place. Even if we draft someone in the 1st or 2nd round, I see them letting the draft pick compete and if he doesn't outperform Okung/Britt, he'll develop for year as a backup. If we're drafting for an Okung replacement and he can't beat out Britt, I'll be worried.

I want Clemmings for this scenario. Tons of potential, but a project of sorts and Pete/John have shown they're not afraid of taking on a project early in the draft. I think he could start at RT his rookie year. Britt would be depth and when Okung goes down (he does every single year), Clemmings could give the left side a shot with Britt at RT.

I also don't want to see Mebane gone. Between he & Miller, I'd prefer to keep Bane. Only way I'm OK with it is if he's traded for good compensation AND we know we can get Suh on a front loaded contract that drops when Wilson/Wagner's contracts jump up. Don't see that happening though.

Better suited, yes I would agree. But I would rather pay 4 times less for a player who was 3/4 as talented, and injured 1/2 as often, then draft more depth. I don't agree about having to out-play Britt/Okung. We brought in Eric Winston who played consistently better then Britt, but Britt was cheaper and younger so he got the job and we released Winston.