710 Salk and Don ONeill (NOT Danny Oneill) of Ron & Don Show

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Detroit got hosed. I really appreciate Golden Tate saying "you have to be able to play so those things don't effect the win/loss in the game."

"Dean Blandino has to back his guys but he would have preferred if they had left the flag down."

Bob & Groz about 29:38 minutes in they play back Mike Pererra:

"to me you can't pick that flag up, Hitchens not playing the ball, shoved with his left arm first, Pettigrew came back and tried to get to the ball, couldn't, that's pass interference. So it's correctly called on the field"

Groz can be such an idiot/Dallas Homer sometimes. Arguing about the picked up penalty he says "Even if Detroit gets that first down there's no guarantee they score even 3." then goes on to say "Dallas would get the ball back and you have to be crazy to think they aren't going to score."

Wow, Groz, they were held to zero points for the longest time, then you say "no guarantee" that Detroit would score when already in Dallas territory but say 'you'd have to be crazy" when it concerns anyone thinking Dallas wouldn't score. Then he tries to say he avoids being a dallas homer.... :lol: Funny guy!

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... roz%20Show

Hawknballs

Reaction score
ron and don are awful. When I hear him (don) filling in on the sports shows, I change to the other station or just put the Sirius NFL channel on. I just hate that know-it-all blowhard attitude though. Some people like it I guess? Dunno.

kearly

Reaction score
I like Don O'Neill. Mostly because he sounds like a 48 year old version of Seth Rogen.

He's got that stoner laugh down pat.

trharder

Reaction score
MagHawk":23oi05cm said:
Yep - I love when he is on the show!

Me too. Glad I'm not completely alone. I like Don O'Neil better than Danny O'Neil.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I wanted to like the show this morning, but Salk has been irritating me more and more lately. I had to turn it off. His schtick is more and more this: blathering on about his opinion on a topic, opening the phone lines, then cutting off anyone who starts to disagree or make a counter point, then reiterating his point that he already blathered on about for 10 minutes prior.

Maybe this has always been his thing. Maybe that's partly what got him run out of Boston. Maybe he's pressing a bit more when Brock isn't there. I dunno, but I found him unlistenable today and I rarely get involved enough to care one way or the other about radio guys.

knownone

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":1f12ttia said:
I wanted to like the show this morning, but Salk has been irritating me more and more lately. I had to turn it off. His schtick is more and more this: blathering on about his opinion on a topic, opening the phone lines, then cutting off anyone who starts to disagree or make a counter point, then reiterating his point that he already blathered on about for 10 minutes prior.

Maybe this has always been his thing. Maybe that's partly what got him run out of Boston. Maybe he's pressing a bit more when Brock isn't there. I dunno, but I found him unlistenable today and I rarely get involved enough to care one way or the other about radio guys.
I could not agree more about Salk. I used to like him, and I was happy he came back, but he has been awful for the last few months.

kearly

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":234u1ddy said:

I agree with almost everything you said. I will say this though. What I like about Salk is that his ego kind of drives him in a way that is useful at times. For example, he has not been sheepish about calling Pete out with penalties the Hawks have suffered through. I think it's a good thing to have people in media who are willing to stick their necks out a bit at times. As much as I love Brock, he is a bit of a yes man, and for that reason I think Salk is a nice pairing for him.

I think what probably got Salk fired is that he will not hesitate to make fun of his co-hosts on the air. I think he's good at doing it in such a way where the recipient can easily roll with the punches, but put him next to an egomaniac every day and it won't be long before one of them has to go.

I really enjoyed the show last week when Danny filled in for Brock, and I am not a Danny O'neill fan. It was funny though hearing Salk just rip Danny to his face, with Danny just kind of taking it in the most awkward way possible. Danny knows that if he and Salk ever got on bad terms, he wouldn't be winning that battle, so he just takes it. I kinda felt bad for Danny, but after all the obnoxious stuff he put listeners and co-hosts through on Brock and Danny, I felt it was kinda deserved. And only Salk could have delivered it.

Lanakila

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":svhv7n5m said:

I can't listen to him anymore. Their whole thing is to ask for listeners opinions then tell them why their opinions are wrong. Same with Bob and Groz.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Lanakila":d5a32a8k said:
HawkAroundTheClock":d5a32a8k said:

I can't listen to him anymore. Their whole thing is to ask for listeners opinions then tell them why their opinions are wrong. Same with Bob and Groz.

To be fair, a good portion of the callers are MORONS. Someone called in the other day saying the Hawks need to show more love to the 12's and they called him out on it. If anything, I say they take it too far sometimes.

Vetamur

Reaction score
I like 90% of the Brock and Salk shows that I listen to. I love that its on at night for me.. I like Danny O Neils thought process but think hes more of a print type than radio. The show can get "meh" sometimes and I get the feeling that upon Salks return theyve been told to push the show in certain directions, but overall I like it. Whats the other sports station there..? 950am? I listen to that when Im over there and 710am has something Im not interested in playing....but find that channel too shock jockey-ish for me.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
kearly":2q63g4im said:
I agree with almost everything you said. I will say this though. What I like about Salk is that his ego kind of drives him in a way that is useful at times. For example, he has not been sheepish about calling Pete out with penalties the Hawks have suffered through. I think it's a good thing to have people in media who are willing to stick their necks out a bit at times. As much as I love Brock, he is a bit of a yes man, and for that reason I think Salk is a nice pairing for him.
Good point. When Pete asked where Salk was in his presser after the 2-penalty Rams game, I LOL'd.

kearly":2q63g4im said:
I think what probably got Salk fired is that he will not hesitate to make fun of his co-hosts on the air. I think he's good at doing it in such a way where the recipient can easily roll with the punches, but put him next to an egomaniac every day and it won't be long before one of them has to go.

I really enjoyed the show last week when Danny filled in for Brock, and I am not a Danny O'neill fan. It was funny though hearing Salk just rip Danny to his face, with Danny just kind of taking it in the most awkward way possible. Danny knows that if he and Salk ever got on bad terms, he wouldn't be winning that battle, so he just takes it. I kinda felt bad for Danny, but after all the obnoxious stuff he put listeners and co-hosts through on Brock and Danny, I felt it was kinda deserved. And only Salk could have delivered it.
And Salk is kinda their boss, right? I could see being awkward and not knowing exactly how to smack-talk back to my boss on the air. I see what you mean about Brock and Salk sort of evening each other out, or complementing each other's personalities.

When Salk was razzing Brock for the 2-church Christmas Eve complete with live manger and Roman soldiers, that was outright funny – but only because Brock himself was getting a kick out of it and dished some back. When he offered to take Salk's little girl to the nativity, that was priceless. Salk: "Oh yeah, last night we're lighting the candles, tonight it's the petting zoo at the church." (paraphrasing) They do make a good pairing.

Without Brock, I'm not compelled to listen to Salk though.