Quarterly Stats

volsunghawk

Reaction score
A post about the Seahawks starting slow got me thinking about how they've performed on a quarter-by-quarter basis this season. Did a little research on PFR and here's what I found:

Defense:

• Seahawks D has only allowed more than a TD in a quarter 7 times in 64 quarters this season (has not happened since the game against the Giants in Week 10).
    • Breakdown:
      • 17 points 2x
      • 14 points 2x
      • 10 points 3x
  • Seahawks D has shutout the opponent 24 times in 64 quarters this season (including 15 times in the last 24 quarters).
  • Seahawks D has allowed 110 points in the 2nd half of games this season for an average of 6.9 points per game. In the second half of the season, the Seahawks D has allowed only 23 points in the 2nd half of games for an average of under 3 points per game.
  • Seahawks D clamps down in the 3rd quarter of games, allowing only 43 points all season in that quarter (2.7 points per game).
  • Seahawks D worst quarter is the 2nd quarter, when they've allowed double-digits 4 times. Still, they have allowed 87 points all year that quarter, still under a TD per game.
  • Seahawks D has not allowed a score in the 4th quarter in their last 6 games. If you're behind going into the 4th quarter against the Seahawks, you WILL lose.

Offense:

• Seahawks O has scored more than a TD in a quarter 18 times in 64 quarters this season, failing to do so in every game but 4.
    • Breakdown:
      • 21 points 2x
      • 14 points 7x
      • 13 points 2x
      • 10 points 7x
  • Seahawks O has been shutout in a quarter 15 times in 64 quarters this season.
  • Seahawks O has scored 204 points in the 2nd half of games this season for an average of 12.75 points per game. In the second half of the season, the Seahawks O has scored 116 points in the 2nd half of games for an average of 14.5 points per game.
  • Seahawks O elevates its game in the 4th quarter of games, scoring 122 points all season in that quarter (7.6 points per game).
  • Seahawks O worst quarter is the 1st quarter, when they've scored 67 points and only hit double-digits twice (and been shutout 5 times). Still, the 67 points the Seahawks have scored in the 1st quarter is equal to the 67 points the Seahawks D has allowed in 4th quarters this year. So for as bad as we seem to start, that's how we're making teams finish against us.
  • Seahawks O is almost as good in the 2nd quarter as in the 4th quarter, scoring 117 points this season, including 7 games where they managed double-digits in the quarter against 3 when they've been shutout.

Overall:

• The Seahawks have outscored their opponent in 35 of 64 quarters, and have been outscored by their opponent in 20 of 64 quarters (obviously, in their one OT game, they outscored the opponent).
  • Cumulatively, the Seahawks have outscored opponents in every quarter this season.
    • Breakdown:
      • 1st quarter: +10
      • 2nd quarter: +30
      • 3rd quarter: +39
      • 4th quarter: +55

pehawk

Reaction score
You're weird fella for doing this but its awesome.

OP
OP
volsunghawk

volsunghawk

Reaction score
pehawk":au7pxl6n said:

Yeah, I'm plenty weird, but I like number-crunching and sifting through data.

Also, only 3 times in 16 games did the opponent score on us in all 4 quarters of the game. We lost all 3 of those games.

Conversely, we scored on our opponent in all 4 quarters of the game 4 times, and we actually lost one of those games (yup, against the Rams).

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Thanks for the write-up! Appreciate the nice formatting too.

I believe what I'm seeing there is if our defense does not allow the opponent to score more points than our offense can score... we win. i like that.

pehawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":rm3yocc6 said:
pehawk":rm3yocc6 said:

Yeah, I'm plenty weird, but I like number-crunching and sifting through data.

Also, only 3 times in 16 games did the opponent score on us in all 4 quarters of the game. We lost all 3 of those games.

Conversely, we scored on our opponent in all 4 quarters of the game 4 times, and we actually lost one of those games (yup, against the Rams).

I know I bring it up a lot, but that depressingly gloomy dome brings out the worst in the Seahawks. More specifically the offense. I swear in the 2012 game Lynch averaged a legit 7-8 YPC on 1st down. Not because of a few long runs, but a legit average. Yet, the Hawks lost.

I'm not surprised a major outlier took place in St Louis. The Edward Jones dome is to visiting teams what the Bermuda Triangle is to planes.

I'm curious what the factors are that lead to dominance in the 2nd half? What's the blended %'s of; physicality, commitment to the run, counter-punching nature of the offense, etc. If you had gone to Alabama you probably could've given us that information, Vols. But alas, you did not, so we're stuck making do with this.

(seconded on the formatting)

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
The slow starts and late-in-game dominance is simple to explain, if you think out-of-the-box.

Pete and John stumbled upon an alien in the draft. This extra-terrestrial stud muffin can absorb and assimilate people's abilities, then spread them to the rest of the team, but it takes a couple of quarters. Strength and ability is drained from the opponents as it's absorbed, so we see a complete turnaround in the second half... BAM, you've just been 'scienced!' Dallas has tinfoil-lined helmets and zebra assistance, so they are the special cause outlier.

My inside source won't reveal the alien's name, but I'd call a rechargeable drill in a locker drawer pretty damning evidence. :2: