Earl Thomas, trendsetter

Aristotle22

Reaction score
Last year Earl put III after his name. Now I see it on many jerseys. After football he may have a career in clothing design

Killa Kam

Reaction score
RG3 i believe is the real trendsetter behind it, I dont think it was allowed before he was drafted

kidhawk

Reaction score
Killa Kam":y1w9jcig said:
RG3 i believe is the real trendsetter behind it, I dont think it was allowed before he was drafted

Yes, it was changed "coincidentally" after RGIII came to the league. I read once that Thomas had asked for it originally but was denied. It's always possible that his asking (along with others perhaps) started the thought of changing it rolling, but it he did have to roll with just "Thomas" on his jersey until RGIII came into the league.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I believe Earl had it on his practice jersey at least a year before he had it on his game jersey.

chet380

Reaction score
Aristotle22":1wlsjgcb said:
Last year Earl put III after his name. Now I see it on many jerseys. After football he may have a career in clothing design

A recent short discussion on the .Net draft site:

"An off-topic query for the Brits --

Is the use of Roman numerals or "Junior" in persons' names peculiar to Americans or does it occur in the UK as well?"

theENGLISHseahawk in response: "Definitely an American thing!"

ZornwasaleftY

Reaction score
Today on some show they were saying in regards to adding III, that first or second year players can't do it - only vets, because the NFL wants to sell more jerseys. fans buy the Tate jersey , and then the Tate III for example. If RG3 had it his first year then I guess the show was wrong - but it wouldn't surprise me (The NFL trying to make more $$).

Pak-Man12

Reaction score
chet380":k63ut3dr said:
Is the use of Roman numerals or "Junior" in persons' names peculiar to Americans or does it occur in the UK as well?"

I think it's more specifically an African-American thing. I've met a few white guys with Jr. in their name, but never a III or beyond. Russell Wilson's brother is a III, George Foreman decided to skip the whole generational thing and just name his III - VI (which isn't even... like, correct), RGIII, Earl Thomas III, etc. But other than European royals I can't think of anyone else that does it. Usually if 3 generations have the same name they just change the middle name and go by that. The Pawn Star guys are a good example, all Richard Harrisons.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
I seem to remember reading on Earl's blog that he asked the league for the III and was told no, but then RG3 got his so they had to allow it for everyone. His comment was something along the lines of "I guess it took a quarterback asking to make it actually happen".

Pak-Man12

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":38m941u4 said:
I seem to remember reading on Earl's blog that he asked the league for the III and was told no, but then RG3 got his so they had to allow it for everyone. His comment was something along the lines of "I guess it took a quarterback asking to make it actually happen".

An overhyped quarterback.

grizbob

Reaction score
He had to cut his dread locks first, otherwise it got too confusing :)

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
chet380":37g1t9ju said:
Aristotle22":37g1t9ju said:

So much so I had to explain to my GF what III on Thomas' shirt actually meant.

ManBunts

Reaction score
If Earl keeps playing like Earl, he could wear a freaking pink onesie with rabbit ears and whatever name he damn well pleases for all I care. The man is a beast

olyfan63

Reaction score
chet380":2gx9eabt said:
Aristotle22":2gx9eabt said:

King George III came to me in a dream last night and declared that titles like "III" are only for noble-born Englishmen, and he is sending the British Fleet to enforce this. Right after him, Henry VIII appeared, and said he would order the head chopped off any Yank audacious enough to use a suffix if he isn't descended from royal blood.
Then John Jacob Astor IV appeared, standing on the deck of the Titanic, and said that in the name of his English ancestors, he had ordered a hit to be put out on Americans from the wrong family who pretentiously use privileged suffixes. He said he had just sent the order to the telegraph room.

Clearly there was a breakdown in communication somewhere and a lot of American families didn't get the memo.