Wk 18 DVOA: Carolina vs Seattle

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Carolina lept up the DVOA charts with their win over Arizona. The huge boost came to their defensive DVOA rating. The new chart is actually showing Weighted DVOA this time and Carolina's WDVOA ranks them 3rd on defense. They're playing better defense right now than any team we've played all year. Of course, we're playing better defense right now than anybody.

So expect a rather low scoring game.

Oh, and I couldn't help but notice that Cam Newton's DYAR and DVOA are lower than Ryan Lindley. You gotta suck pretty bad to be worse than that guy.

ivotuk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3uikauyf said:
Oh, and I couldn't help but notice that Cam Newton's DYAR and DVOA are lower than Ryan Lindley. You gotta suck pretty bad to be worse than that guy.

Bwahahaha! The Legion of Boom shall feast on his Sorrows and drink of his Tears!

Cartire

Reaction score
Not putting any stock into a team that beat Ryan Lindley at there own home. Don't carr how DVOA wants to chalk it up. And that includes for us.

panthers4life

Reaction score
Doesn't it help that 24 teams didn't play, thus would have a static DVOA? Don't take me wrong, we have been playing great defense but not sure it's all relative to the entire league the way it would be if all teams played and had an opportunity to improve as well. The good news is regardless of noise Carolina has earned the right to win or lose this Saturday!

volsunghawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2qmaw59d said:

While I like most of what FO does and there is value to be taken from most of their data, how much stock are you willing to put into the QB measurements there?

Are Alex Smith and Ryan Tannehill better than Russell Wilson? Because that's what DYAR says. DVOA says Derek Anderson and Kirk Cousins are better than Wilson.

jkitsune

Reaction score
volsunghawk":10cxh5zb said:
SalishHawkFan":10cxh5zb said:

While I like most of what FO does and there is value to be taken from most of their data, how much stock are you willing to put into the QB measurements there?

Are Alex Smith and Ryan Tannehill better than Russell Wilson? Because that's what DYAR says. DVOA says Derek Anderson and Kirk Cousins are better than Wilson.

Agreed. Cam Newton isn't worse than Ryan Lindley, whatever that stat says. That's an indictment of the statistic, not evidence that Newton is a bad QB.

evergreen

Reaction score
And Cam is a long way from Wilson. Not even close. There's not even a handful of QBs better than Wilson.

Mol3m4n

Reaction score
evergreen":8ad32skh said:
And Cam is a long way from Wilson. Not even close. There's not even a handful of QBs better than Wilson.
Manning
Brady
Rodgers
Roethlisberger
Luck

There are at least five. That is no knock on Wilson at all. He is a great quarterback, but rankiing him in the top five at this moment is a bit premature.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Mol3m4n":p0doqdtl said:
evergreen":p0doqdtl said:
Manning
Brady
Rodgers
Roethlisberger
Luck

There are at least five. That is no knock on Wilson at all. He is a great quarterback, but rankiing him in the top five at this moment is a bit premature.

Hmm. We've been over this before a number of times on this forum. But just for giggles, let's compare Luck's statistics with Wilson's. I'll give you overall yards.

Mol3m4n

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":18rc2o9b said:
Mol3m4n":18rc2o9b said:
evergreen":18rc2o9b said:
Manning
Brady
Rodgers
Roethlisberger
Luck

Hmm. We've been over this before a number of times on this forum. But just for giggles, let's compare Luck's statistics with Wilson's. I'll give you overall yards.
I'm not a big Luck fan myself. I've pointed out many times that he throws two picks and then three touchdowns. However, I think he's just a tad bit farther along than Wilson at this point. But heck, the sky is the limit for the potential that both Cam and Wilson possess.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Mol3m4n":2ahroery said:
I'm not a big Luck fan myself. I've pointed out many times that he throws two picks and then three touchdowns. However, I think he's just a tad bit farther along than Wilson at this point. But heck, the sky is the limit for the potential that both Cam and Wilson possess.

That's pretty much what most folks here think. And we fail to see how two picks and three touchdowns are better than what Wilson brings to the table, which is even or better yardage overall, and far fewer turnovers, which have led to more wins, both regular season and playoffs.

Mol3m4n

Reaction score
I'll give my top 10 list. Totally subjective.

1. Rodgers
2. Brady
3. Manning
4. Roethlisberger
5. Romo (The offensive line really helps.)

6,7,8,9 are interchangeable to me. Each brings a unique thing to the table, while each have their own downfall.

6. Luck
7. Wilson
8. Cam
9. Rivers
10. Flacco
11. (I know) Brees <--------This is because he played horrible this year.

26. Colon Raepernick

253hawk

Reaction score
Cartire":3f3pl8iv said:
Not putting any stock into a team that beat Ryan Lindley at there own home. Don't carr how DVOA wants to chalk it up. And that includes for us.

And Arizona was leading at halftime. Then they had the ball for a whole 3:39 the entire second half.

Everyone watch out for these world-beaters.

kjreid

Reaction score
Mol3m4n":3cnwt3sc said:
I'll give my top 10 list. Totally subjective.

1. Rodgers
2. Brady
3. Manning
4. Roethlisberger
5. Romo (The offensive line really helps.)

6,7,8,9 are interchangeable to me. Each brings a unique thing to the table, while each have their own downfall.

6. Luck
7. Wilson
8. Cam
9. Rivers
10. Flacco
11. (I know) Brees <--------This is because he played horrible this year.

26. Colon Raepernick

I don't agree with Rapistberger at 4 or Romo at 5 I would jump Rivers to 4 and Wilson to 5 and then Romo, Luck, Flacco, Brees, Ryan and then maybe Cam.