Where's The Fevered Pitch in The Northwest?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm listening to Brock and Salk and they brought up something I've been mentioning to family and friends lately. I've noticed a lack of fevered pitch for the Blue and Green like there was this time last year around the Pacific Northwest. There's definitely still a ton of rabid 12's, don't get me wrong. Blue Friday's are still very popular here and there's no question the 12's are excited, but that excitement, that feeling that the entire city, area and region had caught the Blue Flu, is not quite here this time. Local news broadcasts and websites seem to not have as much coverage or footage of Seahawks-related stories...

I wonder if it's because we've won the Super Bowl already and while a repeat would be thrilling, is it kind of like that satisfaction at the end of really good sex, where the drive subsides and you just want to chill? Trying to think of a better analogy but that will have to do, lol.

Not calling out anyone specifically, it's just a feeling I've had and now it's being discussed on the Brock and Salk show this morning.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Not being there, I can't really say what it's like there, but it would make sense, especially during the bye week, and then considering our opponent. Some people may find it hard to get up for a game against a team that doesn't even have a winning record, so they may be toned down. I doubt you'll find many (if any) around here, because diehards are going to be up for a division round game no matter the opponent.

Also, factor in that you have the Luck/Manning and Rodgers/Romo matchups to satiate the "national" audience and you get even further reduced excitement for our game.

No matter who wins vs Dallas/Green Bay, I fully expect the furvor to rise after we beat Carolina this weekend

pehawk

Reaction score
What's that phrase - "great douchebags think alike"? It's something like that. I've been pondering this myself.

I'm beginning to wonder if there's an enthusiasm gap based on who the Seahawks open the playoffs with. Could there be a less than standard fervor at the game Saturday night? because people assume they'll beat the Panthers?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I also think it has something to do with last year's team really feeling like one of destiny. Though I certainly think the Hawks will repeat, there's not that sense of inevitability about them which causes people to go all in.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
I saw somewhere on the interwebs yesterday that ticket resale prices are dropping rapidly for the game. Blame the opponent. I am sure that when GB or DAL comes to town the 12s will be ready!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I've said this before when discussing Clink crowd noise, I think winning the SB has lessened the angry crazy rabid sense of nervous energy we all had in years past.

THAT'S what has fed the 12's for almost 40 years, and was our main source of energy.

Not saying once game time hits Saturday night fans won't be amped up and ready to rock, but as far as that sustained energy? I think you'll only see that from here on out for NFCCG's and SB weeks............or we go through another long drought.

253hawk

Reaction score
The bandwagon rush made it more fervent last year.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3de69ga0 said:
I also think it has something to do with last year's team really feeling like one of destiny. Though I certainly think the Hawks will repeat, there's not that sense of inevitability about them which causes people to go all in.

Maybe so, but I seem to recall a bit of a lull during the bye week last time, too. At least in the feel on this board... can't really speak for the NW.

sutz

Reaction score
I tend to think of it as quiet confidence. ;)

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
253hawk":3j1fi8m1 said:
The bandwagon rush made it more fervent last year.

I think it's just the opposite. The bandwagon fans are here this year, and far more prevalent than last. The difference is, I think, that "first time". Last year we diehards were still angry, frustrated, pent up and trying to get one for the first time. Now we're triumphant, our dream realized. That may look like complacency on the outside, but I think it's just a different look. It may look quieter or more subdued, but the desire is still there. And it'll ramp up for the games, the more important the louder.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2j63sb5f said:
Sarlacc83":2j63sb5f said:

Maybe so, but I seem to recall a bit of a lull during the bye week last time, too. At least in the feel on this board... can't really speak for the NW.

yeah, i think its the week off.

it will ramp up near the end of the week, and be full on mania when the Packers or Dallas come

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I file this under "acting like you've been there before".

Plus having the 49ers in the playoffs last year really added something to the intrigue. Having this upcoming game against Carolina hasn't really done much to spark excitement. Once we can get past the Panthers and face either GB or Dallas in the NFC Championship game, I think Seahawks mania will pick up.

Lastly, we were the #1 team in football all year last year. Even though both seasons required us to win the last game to clinch the 1 seed, there wasn't as much mid-season doubt about the team. Rather than the perception of people 'jumping off the bandwagon', I think what were 'bandwagon' fans last year have learned that in football sometimes you need to be cautiously optimistic.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
pehawk":2rwn9trn said:
What's that phrase - "great douchebags think alike"? It's something like that. I've been pondering this myself.

I'm beginning to wonder if there's an enthusiasm gap based on who the Seahawks open the playoffs with. Could there be a less than standard fervor at the game Saturday night? because people assume they'll beat the Panthers?
I do think this is a huge factor the game just lacks sizzle and for the life of me I can't see any way we don't win the game by at least 10. And I hate that feeling because that usually means bad things because it's never good to be this confident about the outcome of a game because in the NFL weird things happen in every game.

When in gets down to it the only interesting matchups against us this year involve Dallas, Green Bay or New England and to a far lesser extent Indianapolis or Baltimore.

12thManNorth

Reaction score
If people are so complacent now that they're not overly excited for a playoff game, that to me is really odd. One title win since 1976 shouldn't all of the sudden make us like the Atlanta Braves fans from the 90's who pretty much altogether stopped caring about any playoff games before the NLCS. I don't care that Sea is playing Carolina, they could be playing the Saskatchewan Roughriders and I'd still be jacked as hell to watch the Hawks perform on the national stage. I was at the Saints game last year and will be at the Panthers game as well, ready to scream my face off until my migraine becomes unbearable. Lets not forget how quickly a team's fortunes can change, and how it could very well be another 35 years until our next Super Bowl victory

HawkerD

Reaction score
I think we are sick of playing the Panthers. And we have them again next year! Take care of business this week and things will ratchet up for sure. Either opponent will get us boiling. You'll hear plenty of "Fail Mary" crap if it is the meat packers or plenty of garbage how the cowgirls beat us at home.

Bring it on I say

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
12thManNorth":1t4wghnc said:
If people are so complacent now that they're not overly excited for a playoff game, that to me is really odd. One title win since 1976 shouldn't all of the sudden make us like the Atlanta Braves fans from the 90's who pretty much altogether stopped caring about any playoff games before the NLCS. I don't care that Sea is playing Carolina, they could be playing the Saskatchewan Roughriders and I'd still be jacked as hell to watch the Hawks perform on the national stage. I was at the Saints game last year and will be at the Panthers game as well, ready to scream my face off until my migraine becomes unbearable. Lets not forget how quickly a team's fortunes can change, and how it could very well be another 35 years until our next Super Bowl victory
I know that I'm excited but I'm very confident, that doesn't mean complacent because this game allows the Seahawks to have a chance to accomplish something rarely done and maybe even never if we win in February and next February. It's just that I see no logical way for us to lose unless it was by outright "steerage" of the game by the officials.

Now when it's Green Bay or Dallas on deck that's when the fun will begin. Either matchup will be intense. As it is for the Superbowl they are already trying to set the narrative for Andrew Luck's ascension into Peyton's spot hopefully we can help him cement his legacy similarly.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Combination of all of them. Been there done that. Bye week and the Panthers. I can only speak for myself, but during the week I'm less nervous, but come game time...RAMP IT UP BABY! I also see tons of 12 signs and Seahawk gear everywhere. It's just a little under the surface like a volcano ready to blow.

SC

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I have bandwagon friends that went all out last year buying gears and watching games at my house, then this year they rather go fishing.

Latest posts