Just watched the All 22 Hawks/Panthers again

endzorn

Reaction score
Impressions
- Wilson was under constant pressure in the first half and we couldn't even generate a first down until late second quarter. Their front seven is rock solid.

- if you want to define downhill tackling then watch tape on their linebackers. That is an impressive group of tacklers and Davis and Kuechly were killing us.

- Kawaan Short was an unstoppable penetrator for long stretches of the game.

- We had a solid game against their running backs, but Mebane played and he was swallowing offensive linemen on run downs. It'll be interesting to see how this group does with a team committed to running. Williams has been stellar in the Shade 1/Nose so far.

- Wagner didn't play, but I thought Wright had a very good game. Carolina ran a couple stretch action plays that Peyton manning made famous in Indianapolis and you can see on the endzone angle that Wright diagnoses those plays immediately and covers the TE perfectly. Unfortunately on one of them Sherman is out of position and we give up a first down. Wright also had a couple of big time stops in coverage. Wright has a tendency to get out of position in his hole and give up cutback runs that Wagner gobbles up. Wagner is great in coverage and he is so much more disciplined in his fits as a run defender this year.

- Smith was picked on at WLB. Carolina went at him early and (coincidentally?) we were better after he was replaced by KPL.

- The first half had almost nothing positive on offense other than a 58 yard bomb by Hauschka that bailed us out. The passing game was defined by pressure from Carolina, a couple dropped passes and receivers running routes a yard short of the marker on third downs. Our one drive ended with Lynch dropping a sure TD that was intercepted.

- I watched this through the lens of a Seahawks fan so take it as such, but I guarantee you there isn't another game with more blown opportunities by the Seahawks than this one and we still won. The most dropped passes in one game we've had in years, Wilson fumbling twice on a gimme scoring drive (second one a bad snap recovered by Panthers) the missed TD toss to a painfully wide open Cooper Helfet, third down pre-snap defensive penalties, a dropped pick by Simon that Looked like Newton was deliberately throwing to him and Wright dropped another gimme, the Bennett missed safety sack, etc, etc, etc...

- I don't watch a lot of Carolina games, but Newton looks like he's confused or gunshy on plays that can't go to his first read. Once his head turns from the first receiver he start moving and in that game our defense swarmed all over him. His inaccuracy is glaring and he consistently misses receivers who are running in traffic. He is definitely a threat as a runner and he's more dangerous as a passer than kaepernick, but when he moves or his target is crossing his face in traffic he's a below average thrower. His biggest asset is his power as a runner and his speed when a running lane opens up. In those cases he's fun to watch.

- Bennett was a star without stats in that game.

- This was one of the games that Kam's injury stood out in his effectiveness. He was invisible, much like the Cowboys game, and his effectiveness as a downhill hitter was lost. He looks like a completely different player right now.

- Luke Willson was asked to block the backside end one on one and did a respectable job on a few plays, but he whiffed on a couple potentially huge passes and had a crushing holding penalty before his eventual TD.

- Our running game didn't start to work until the second half as Carolina started to tire. They don't rotate the front seven much and we really started moving the piles.

- This was not Wilson's best game. He was under pressure a lot and he was inaccurate from the pocket. As seems to be his calling card though, he was money at the end of both halves. Carolina did a very good job of containing him so he wasn't able to get outside much and threaten with his legs. I can't tell you how impressed I am by Davis and Kuechly.

- We had no threats at wide receiver. Richardson hadn't established himself and on All 22 it didn't appear that guys were getting open before pressure or during the scramble drill. Wilson did throw a beautiful bomb to Richardson that was defended perfectly in the second half. If not for the great defensive effort it would have been a long TD.

- Schilling wasn't horrible, but a bad exchange for a turnover and two big 'ole blocks really hurt the offense.

- Carolina's punt returner sucks. I'm including his bonehead play against Dallas in this assessment, but he had two really, really bad plays in this game. One was a fumble and the other was a fair catch inside the ten with absolutely no one close to him.

- Helfet was a legit threat catching the ball and Wilson flat missed him twice for potential scores in the game.

All in all I'm pretty confident. Even if you include the Rams road loss, I don't think we had a game all season with anywhere near the missed opportunities. It was frustrating to watch. I know Carolina fans say they're a different team, but Seattle is light years ahead of to what they showed in that game.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
That was such a good write up I could feel my blood pressure rising again just reading it. Thanks brother.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
cue the panther fans chiming in to discredit all of this because one time cam rushed for lots of TD's because his team had no other way to score.

evergreen

Reaction score
Excellent diagnosis. I can't come close to your insight, but I do remember all the missed oppertuinites. Especially the miss to Heflet. I don't think either side of the ball was playing close to what we are now. We've always played them close in those 10:00 am games there. I think they have no idea what kind of Hell they're in for this weekend. I doubt Carolina scores. I think we are way above the level of anything they can handle. Maybe they keep it close for a while with their D. We will win by many scores. 30-40 to less than 6.

OP
OP
endzorn

endzorn

Reaction score
One thing I forgot to add was that Carpenter left early in the game and was replaced by Bailey at LG and I thought Bailey did a solid job of getting to the second level with run blocks, but he isn't the same drive blocker that Carpenter shows. Carpenter isn't very good as a pass blocker in known passing situations, but Bailey held his own. Carps only value in the passing game comes from play action because he looks too heavy to handle the quicker rushers in four and five wide or third and long.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Unger, Wagner, Kam, and P-Rich all being back or better should help us immensely.

OP
OP
endzorn

endzorn

Reaction score
Of those four I think Kam and Wagner make the biggest difference. Having Wright at WLB is an enormous upgrade over Smith/KPL and Wagner is a much better run defender in the middle than Wright. Having Kam healthy is like adding a superstar to a defense that held them to 9 points. He was completely ineffective in week 8.

2_0_6

Reaction score
I had the game on DVR and watched it again last night also. The dropped pass by Lynch that led to an interception and the missed pass to Cooper changed that entire game. If we converted on either of those plays, I bet this site see's a fraction of the Panther trolls we are seeing this week.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks for that post EZ, good stuff.

As usual I'm cautiously nervous about this game but don't think Car has faced a D that is a consistently good as the Hawks D. I'm not that impressed with Newton as a passer and don't think the Panthers can beat our D on the ground. OTOH I believe the Hawks will be able to run against them as they have against StL,, AZ, SF, and most other Ds. If the Hawks can run for 150 the game will be handily controlled by our guys. Keeping Russell protected will be important but the team has been slowly improving in that regard the last three games.

If the Hawks start quicker than usual this game I think they should be able to cover a rather big spread for a playoff game but Car has a good D too and will keep things interesting for a while. I really hope the pre-snap penalties are kept to a minimum like they were in the StL game too.

12thbrah

Reaction score
impressive analysis thanks. Agree with the above poster that Hawks should be able to run on Carolina. The Panthers are a lesser version of the 49ers (mobile inaccurate QB and good LBs and defense) and I expect a similar score. If Panthers score more than a TD that will be shocking.

StoneCold

Reaction score
We did fine defensively against them it was offense that struggled. I don't expect Car to be a scoring machine, but I am worried our offense will struggle and keep it too close for comfort.

SC

hoxrox

Reaction score
They had a lot of blown plays on offense that kept us in that game also... if they can learn to take care of the football, they'd be a much better team.

Chawks1

Reaction score
Endzorn, curious how Star played in the game for Panthers? I wonder how big a hole it will leave. Any breakdown?

Thx

gowazzu02

Reaction score
some of the yucky play in the first half can also be pointed to the 10 am start. Wont have that prob sat.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Thanks EZ.

Does anyone know if that's the last time we ran the Marshawn slant? I don't remember seeing it again afterwards.

pehawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":35jtt6g5 said:
Thanks EZ.

Does anyone know if that's the last time we ran the Marshawn slant? I don't remember seeing it again afterwards.

One against Denver was a slant. That play wasn't really a slant, it was a pick play.

A real headscratcher. Running a pick play to a RB? Expecting a RB to catch a ball, off a pick, in traffic?

Yes, I criticized the play call that week too. Yes, even after a win.

But, in Bevells defense that was close to the Percy departure.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
pehawk":1q742gd6 said:
Sarlacc83":1q742gd6 said:
Thanks EZ.

One against Denver was a slant. That play wasn't really a slant, it was a pick play.

A real headscratcher. Running a pick play to a RB? Expecting a RB to catch a ball, off a pick, in traffic?

Yes, I criticized the play call that week too. Yes, even after a win.

But, in Bevells defense that was close to the Percy departure.

Thought he had a slant catch against GB in week 1 for a TD. It was a red zone go to for a while.