Make pehawk feel better; Dobbs and King

pehawk

Reaction score
So, anyone have a bead on how these two have performed? Anyone have any all-22 notes, observations from these two?

kidhawk

Reaction score
pehawk":vweucewy said:
So, anyone have a bead on how these two have performed? Anyone have any all-22 notes, observations from these two?

Don't have any all-22 and really can't help much on King, but I thought Dobbs fit really well into the line rotation before he was injured. I look for him to give us a pretty good performance this weekend.

I am interested to see how King does and how much he plays.

I also listened to Dan Quinn's press conference this weekend, and when asked about Cohen, he said that he is coming along quickly and left open the possibility that he'd be available as well. He said that Cohen has a quickness very similar to Hill and that the Nickel passing situations are what he's best suited to. I doubt he'll play this weekend, but he's a guy that I think Pete and Dan could have doing good things on that line once he's up to speed.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I remember Dobbs sticking out to me earlier in the year, to the point of mentioning his name to my sister-in-law who probably knows more stats about the team than I do. I'm glad to hear he will be in the rotation tomorrow.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Word, thanks kid.

I follow a few Bills twitperts/bloggers on twitter and they all said Cohen played extremely well in the preseason. All of them listed Cohen as a very surprising cut...some even calling him the surprising cut of camp. Read I got is he's un undersized gap-filler. That strength matches up nicely with Avril and Bennett's pressure from outside.

I'd also expect Bennett inside and maybe Bruce to get a few shots rushing. That's a pretty good package depending on who takes Bruce's WLB spot.

SirTed

Reaction score
Bruce gets plenty of shots at rushing. And it's not like we won't see Malcolm at all, but his spot isn't that relevant if we're in Nickle, anyway. KJ and Wags at LB - usual rotation at the DL, minus Hill (ouch) plus Dobbs / King?

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
SirTed":1yy1cpq3 said:
Bruce gets plenty of shots at rushing. And it's not like we won't see Malcolm at all, but his spot isn't that relevant if we're in Nickle, anyway. KJ and Wags at LB - usual rotation at the DL, minus Hill (ouch) plus Dobbs / King?

I'm listening...

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Williams, McDaniel, Dobbs, Cohen, King - McDaniel and Williams will be out there a lot with the other 3 rotating in.

Not worried about it much. Carolina isn't a hurry-up team that's going to take rotating guys around away from us all day.

Hill has played really well recently, so it's a shame to see him go, but we have two solid guys at the spot in Williams and McDaniel and guys to give them rest.

Plus there's that Bobby Wagner guy behind them.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawknballs":17u69zkw said:
Plus there's that Bobby Wagner guy behind them.

I'm figuring we dial up a few Wagner blitzes this week on 3rd down situations if we are having any issues at all getting to the quarterback with our front 4

Largent80

Reaction score
I remember watching Dobbs before his injury and I thought he was playing real well and having a real good game.

Relax.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Assuming everyone is healthy of course, my expectation is that Dobbs and Cohen will be active on Saturday and in the rotation (Dobbs more so than Cohen), and that King will be inactive.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
While watching the games, Dobbs jumped off the screen a lot more than King ever did. However, Dobbs is a fourth year player with zero regular season sacks. King's a rookie and picked up one at AZ. I don't have access to the all-22, so I'm not sure if it was a coverage sack or a good play. It was toward the end of the game. Also, lets not forget Tukuafu has looked really good in his limited time playing DT. He's been close a couple of times. I expect him to get home here quickly.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
In the first game against SF Dobbs just smoked their RB- Gore and planted him on his back in the backfield hard and thumped Kraepernick several times. He set a physical tone early then after that game seemingly disappeared but was suspected to have an injury, then definitely was injured.

King is a 5 tech type who played college ball for Oklahoma he's not much of a pass rusher but sets the edge well or did in college. Clearly the Hawks saw something about his game they liked and we'll see how he gets used. I doubt any of us really know what he'll bring to the table.

Tukuafu is also in the mix for depth and he plays a very physical style too and is strong as heck and there is Cohen who is a bit of a mystery too. If they they can platoon adequately to provide some relief for Williams and McDaniel hopefully the drop off won't be that significant for what Hill brought. I'm a bit concerned about what the team is going to be able to defensively on the interior line.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
Two reasons why I am not concerned at all about the DL

1) We have two of the best DL coaches in the game (in my opinion). I think that Jones and Quinn excel at getting the most out of their players and helping lineman - especially interior lineman - meet their potential, is clearly their strong suit. I have heard a number of the lineman mention over the past few years how good Quinn and Jones are at teaching technique - even veterans have mentioned this. Taking physically gifted athletes who have not reached potential is their specialty. Dobbs already looks like a much better player in Seattle than at any time in San Francisco.

2) The DL scheme Seattle runs is very basic, and helps eliminate decision making and potential mistakes. Here is a link that helps explain gap assignment (I am sure many on the board are much more knowledgeable than I on gap assignments). Because Seattle employs a 4-3 Under (but have on occasion moved to 4-3 Over) the only lineman required to worry about two-gap assignments is the NT. They generally do not stunt much. In the past, you have seen the 3-tech drop into shallow zone coverage, but we have not seen much of that this year. Dobbs, King, and Cohen will primarily be playing 3-tech (I believe) and maybe 5-tech on occasion. The 3-tech in Seattle's scheme allow them to only worry about one thing - their primary gap. That is why we saw McDonald succeed last season. He was set up to succeed. The need to double team Bennett or Avril puts the 3-tech in one-on-one match ups often. With a running quarterback like Newton, the responsibility likely becomes just holding the gap,

I think that if we were going to have a rush of injuries in any one position on the team, DT becomes easier to replace than other positions. Why do you suppose the team has not spent much money or high draft equity on a pure 3-tech DT? Mebane is really the only non-hybrid DT that has gotten paid.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Three letters that will make you feel better.

No... its not THC or XTC or LSD or PCP.

Its OBS.

As in Obrien Schofield.

I think if anyone other than Dobbs is going to help band-aid the gash in our rotation that was made losing Hill, it'll be him.

The guy is underrated and has a similar game to Chris Clemons.

I think the Nickel DL will be variations of:

Bennett
Avril
Irvin
Dobbs
Schofield

I also expect Quinn to get a little fancy with the Zone Blitz utilizing Wagner, Wright, and Chancellor (who I expect to be very active near the LOS) at times.

I also see stunts with McDaniel and Williams to switch up roles and allow Williams to disrupt the pocket. An ability he made a living off of for his entire HoF career.

Quinn is smart, he'll figure out ways to dial inside pressure when he absolutely needs it.

Largent80

Reaction score
I know P.H.....Schofield has been playing really well with a LOT of activity in his game, gotta love these Hawks.

Seafan

Reaction score
I agree about the possible blitzing this week. If there is a QB in the playoffs the Hawks would consider blitzing against it is Newton. Especially in Seattle.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I don't think Dobbs ever got a chance in SF because they play their veterans so much. What's encouraging is that SF has a good record on selecting and developing Dline talent, as does Seattle. So Dobbs must be a physical specimen for him to have made both teams.

I barely remember King from College, never really watched him but i remember some excerpts I think about him being "long" and that he may even drop in coverage some.

ALSO: "A bit of an underachiever, King did not become a serious contributor for the Sooners until his redshirt junior year at Oklahoma. Voted an All-Big 12 second-team selection by coaches, King finished his college career with totals of 41 games, 70 tackles, 7 for loss and 5.5 sacks"

He was drafted by Chip Kelly, who much like Pete Carroll 4 years ago is VERY familiar with College talent.

Zimmerman was the Bengals DC last year (and a damn good one) and had him on their PS

From NFL.com

"NFL COMPARISON Christian Ballard

BOTTOM LINE King has always had talent, but until his junior season, he found it difficult to first get on the field, and then to keep a starting job. His flashes in 2011 (31 tackles, four for loss, two sacks) as a versatile end/tackle swing player, however, made it very possible that 2012 is the year where he breaks out for Oklahoma – and asserts himself as a potential NFL player capable of lining up for 3-4 or 4-3 teams."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/ ... id=2540008

From nfldraftscout.com

08/31/13 - DE David King was waived by the Eagles Friday.

10/23/13 - --DE David King was signed to (Bengals) practice squad. He replaces DE Kendrick Adams, who was released.

09/01/14 - DT David King was added to the practice squad.

12/11/14 - DE David King was signed by the Seahawks from the Bengals practice squad Thursday (Dec. 11). King was the Philadelphia Eagles seventh-round draft choice (239th overall) in the 2013 NFL Draft but was released after training camp and signed to the Bengals practice squad where he has spent parts of the last two seasons

12/11/14 - DL David King was officially added to the 53-man roster Thursday after being signed off of the Bengals' practice squad. He will essentially replace Dobbs. To make room on the roster, the Seahawks waived linebacker Allen Bradford.

Height: 6042
Weight: 275

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 27
40 Yrd Dash: 4.70
20 Yrd Dash: 2.76
10 Yrd Dash: 1.64
Vertical Jump: 32
Broad Jump: 09'06"

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=DE

Newstribune article here:

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks ... yoff-race/

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2ccawrqa said:
Not worried about it much. Carolina isn't a hurry-up team that's going to take rotating guys around away from us all day.

Well that's odd, because they plan to do just that, as stated by their coach.