Wilson to be Highest Paid QB (Speculation/Rumor)

kidhawk

Reaction score
Heard a report on the NFL Network by Ian Rappaport that the Seahawks will make Wilson the highest paid quarterback in the NFL this off season

[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000456017/article/seahawks-to-make-russell-wilson-highestpaid-qb[/urltargetblank]

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Seafan":i0scudp5 said:
Unnecessary.
Agreed.

I firmly believe he should get a huge contract, but is it unnecessary to pay him more than Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Flacco?
I love Wilson, period, but I love the Hawks more. I know I'm not alone with the fear overpaying key players. He deserves whatever he gets, and I am probably already grieving players like Maxwell once deals like this happen. I get sentimental and want to keep all of the band together. I live in a 4:20 dream.

Basis4day

Reaction score
A good a time as any to remind the fan base that the NFL salary-cap is expected to rise significantly over the next couple years. There's a very good chance that any high-paying contract signed now would see be a value a couple years into it if projections truth correct.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
No clue why anyone believes Wilson will give them a "discount" .. that's not how this works. And before anyone chimes in with "But Brady did it!" .. Brady would have never given a discount at age 26.

So yeah.. Wilson will be the highest paid QB of all-time, until Andrew Luck gets his new deal.. then it will be him.. then the next one, and the one after that and on and on.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":tgfm1f3u said:
No clue why anyone believes Wilson will give them a "discount" .. that's not how this works. And before anyone chimes in with "But Brady did it!" .. Brady would have never given a discount at age 26.

So yeah.. Wilson will be the highest paid QB of all-time, until Andrew Luck gets his new deal.. then it will be him.. then the next one, and the one after that and on and on.
Just like Sherman ' s deal.

I don't expect discounts. As MB said "this ain't costco". I only care about keeping players. I'm greedy.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":vm7pu1ov said:

This. And give it 2-3 years and it will both look like and BE an absolute bargain. Basically pay the players you want to keep and trust your process of drafting and coaching up players in other position groups. Also once you find an elite level quarterback you pay them, heck even if they're average to slightly above (Dalton/Cutler) you pay them, it's a quarterback driven league and it's how it works. For example just look at the teams in the current playoffs...

1. Wilson (Superbowl winner)
2. Rodgers (Superbowl winner)
3. Manning (Superbowl winner)
4. Brady (Superbowl winner)
5. Flacco (Superbowl winner)
6. Luck (top 10 or better quarterback)
7. Romo (top 10 or better quarterback)
8. Newton (well above average quarterback)

5 out of 8 of them have won a Superbowl another 2 are young enough to win multiple Superbowls before their careers are done and the last guy has a better chance of winning a Superbowl in the next 2-3 years then Peyton Manning does. 4 of them are elite by any metric, another just put up the numbers to be considered as such, another 2 may not put up pretty statlines but they win and they especially win in the playoffs.

We've seen the results of having bad or average quarterbacks and sometimes just above average quarterbacks and it usually results in failure and losing.

Sac

Reaction score
Pay Wilson the most now and it will save you from paying him even more a year from now. I like it, and he deserves it.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HawkMeat":yuch2m7s said:
Hasselbeck":yuch2m7s said:

I don't expect discounts. As MB said "this ain't costco". I only care about keeping players. I'm greedy.

But we've all known these days are coming.. does it suck that we will probably lose a Byron Maxwell type player? Of course.. but that's why we have to entrust the front office to continue to draft well. Tharold Simon will replace Maxwell A-OK provided he stays healthy.. and guess what? In a few years, we will be in this same boat.. Simon will probably depart in FA.. and the next man will be up.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":xgdcdgd7 said:
HawkMeat":xgdcdgd7 said:
Hasselbeck":xgdcdgd7 said:

But we've all known these days are coming.. does it suck that we will probably lose a Byron Maxwell type player? Of course.. but that's why we have to entrust the front office to continue to draft well. Tharold Simon will replace Maxwell A-OK provided he stays healthy.. and guess what? In a few years, we will be in this same boat.. Simon will probably depart in FA.. and the next man will be up.
I worry not one whit about losing whatever cornerback is opposite of Sherman or whatever linebacker not named Wagner or Irvin we have playing because if there is one thing Pete/John do know and draft well for, it's cornerbacks/linebackers. I expect us to cycle players though those position groups on a yearly basis.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":80i6psid said:
I worry not one whit about losing whatever cornerback is opposite of Sherman or whatever linebacker not named Wagner or Irvin we have playing because if there is one thing Pete/John do know and draft well for, it's cornerbacks/linebackers. I expect us to cycle players though those position groups on a yearly basis.

Yep.

The ONLY guy I worry about replacing is #24

The rest? I think we'll be just fine.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Wilson has been giving the Hawks a discount for 3 years. He deserves to get PAID and I'm happy for him.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
"Highest paid" does not mean very much because it could mean many things.

Is that the highest total value of a contract? Regardless of what is guaranteed or not (i.e. Flacco)?
Most guaranteed money on a contract? Regardless of the # of years on the contract?
Highest average of guaranteed money per year?
Highest paid in 2015 season?

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
Reaneypark":2arbtubl said:
Wilson has been giving the Hawks a discount for 3 years. He deserves to get PAID and I'm happy for him.
Wilson was not giving the Seahawks a discount. This is something both parties had no control over.

Wilson was a great bargain but the Seahawks also gave Wilson this opportunity. Works both ways IMO. I don't think it is a coincidence to see Wilson in Microsoft ads either.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":nerkgto9 said:

Well-put. What Tom Brady is doing for the Patriots is really admirable, and lends me a lot of respect for him. But he's already made tons of money, he's nearing the end stages of his career, and he's married to one of the wealthiest women in the world.

Russell Wilson is a bachelor looking for that first huge contract to set his current family and future family up for life. There will be no discount. Not if he lets his agent do the talking, anyways.

Every star QB contract is going to be the largest of all-time, because agents love to start negotiating at whatever the last guy got. There's no reason whatsoever that Wilson won't get more than Flacco. He's better than Flacco and younger than Flacco.

And then, as said by someone else, in 5 years after the next wave of QBs signs their contracts, we'll feel like Wilson is a relative bargain.

Mick063

Reaction score
This is where you separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to people that have a clue.

There are a few wise people here, who understand the nature of this business, that have called this for a long time.

The educational contract would have been Jay Cutler's contract. That contract blurred the lines between elite quarterback and franchise quarterback with respect to salary. Yes......there is a difference. You pin your hopes on a franchise quarterback, hoping he becomes an elite quarterback.

Personally, I think Russell is in the middle of the progression and almost there.

Ozzy

Reaction score
He deserves every penny of it and it will be a discount 3 years in. He takes a discount on the next contract to stay a Seahawk. The salary cap is so fluid and the position is so important that it's a good deal for both sides imo.

Mick063

Reaction score
austinslater25":258lulbn said:
He deserves every penny of it and it will be a discount 3 years in. He takes a discount on the next contract to stay a Seahawk. The salary cap is so fluid and the position is so important that it's a good deal for both sides imo.

Yep. The top quarterbacks often renegotiate to make cap room.

The rule of thumb:

The original contract is about perception for public consumption and maintaining the agent's credibility. The renegotiating (about 3 years in before the contract progresses to crazy levels) is about winning. Both parties are fully aware of this at the time they sign the original contract. Russell will still make bank, but not so much that he destroys his chance at a greater legacy.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
What do you think would happen, if they decide NOT to pay Wilson more than $15millions per year?

Will he refuse to play?
Will he move to another team, that will pay him more? Which team would that be?

Let's face it, I think Wilson is perfect for the Seahawks, but I also think the Hawks are perfect for Wilson.
I want to see Wilson get paid. But I also want to see OTHER guys on the team get paid. I don't want us to see the Hawks get ride of half the team, so they can pay Wilson. This is just not good.
I'm not cheap. I want the money spent. Players build this league. And I want players to get all the money they deserve. But that money shouldn't go to a single player. The success of the hawks is a collective success, not an Individual Success.
Bobby needs to be paid decent money.
Maxwell needs to be paid decent money.
Irvin needs to be paid decent money.
etc.