Rodgers' injury "a little bit worse"

hawknation2015

Reaction score
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Don't expect Aaron Rodgers to practice much before next Sunday's NFC Championship Game. His strained left calf muscle came through "a little bit worse" after the Green Bay Packers' 26-21 win over the Dallas Cowboys at Lambeau Field.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/st ... alf-injury

aaron.jpg

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
After not practicing last week, Rodgers did not play well in the first half against the Cowboys. It looked like he needed a couple quarters to find his rhythm, and that was against a secondary that pales in comparison to the LOB.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Can I be 100% honest? Take this for what you will Ok. I played competitive flag football and was the quarterback, one of the best in my league. Well, I stepped in a pot hole at work "night time, couldn't see" and couldn't practice much if anything besides stationary throwing. We had a tournament coming up, this was about 5 years ago, and took 2 weeks off before our first game. During this time I wrapped, soaked, heated and received massages at home and by a professional almost daily after work. I could walk and everything seemed fine. Got to the field an hour early and warmed up pretty well. Ran some straight lines with no cuts and thought I was good to go. Game starts and we got the ball first and quess what? Yups, very first play I pulled it again and had to play the rest of the game favoring my right calf muscle and let me tell you it's a serious issue. Mobility is all but gone at that point. I watched today knowing exactly what AR was feeling and was amazed at how well he played considering. I finished with 7 touchdowns and 5 interceptions and lost both games that day after being 1st all season. That injury he has is real and if it's cold or wet he's practically risking a serious long term injury. They won't sit him to start the game but if they are down by more than 24 at any point after half time they'll sit him of we don't knock him out sooner.

minormillikin

Reaction score
BlueBlood":2xd8rfxn said:
Can I be 100% honest? Take this for what you will Ok. I played competitive flag football and was the quarterback, one of the best in my league. Well, I stepped in a pot hole at work "night time, couldn't see" and couldn't practice much if anything besides stationary throwing. We had a tournament coming up, this was about 5 years ago, and took 2 weeks off before our first game. During this time I wrapped, soaked, heated and received massages at home and by a professional almost daily after work. I could walk and everything seemed fine. Got to the field an hour early and warmed up pretty well. Ran some straight lines with no cuts and thought I was good to go. Game starts and we got the ball first and quess what? Yups, very first play I pulled it again and had to play the rest of the game favoring my right calf muscle and let me tell you it's a serious issue. Mobility is all but gone at that point. I watched today knowing exactly what AR was feeling and was amazed at how well he played considering. I finished with 7 touchdowns and 5 interceptions and lost both games that day after being 1st all season. That injury he has is real and if it's cold or wet he's practically risking a serious long term injury. They won't sit him to start the game but if they are down by more than 24 at any point after half time they'll sit him of we don't knock him out sooner.

This is a good post. I would love for this game to get so out-of-hand in the Seahawks' favor that we see Flynn v. Jackson in the 4th quarter.

That said, it will be frustrating if we don't get pressure on Rodgers and he manages to successfully fling passes from a stationary position like we know he's capable of.

fan4life

Reaction score
Two things were pretty obvious yesterday: Rodgers was definitely playing hurt, and he was shot up to protect him from feeling the worst of any shooting pains. Winning at home was important for GB. He'll give it a go against SEA - but's there's no way he or the organization will risk his long term health for the opportunity to win a game few expect them to win.

fan4life

Reaction score
BlueBlood":1brz9m2v said:

Thanks for your insight. It's really useful to hear from someone who has had the same injury!

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
And our D coordinator has one foot out the door by all accounts. That really bugs me.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Surprisingly Rodgers looked much better in the 2nd half yesterday, so it'll be interesting to see if he can manage the pain like he did yesterday in the 2nd half, rather than how he looked in the 1st half this Sunday.

If he's hobbling around? It's gonna be a full on blood in the water shark feeding frenzy.

sutz

Reaction score
The commentary was all about AR's mobility and such, but I thought it was pretty obvious that his sore leg was affecting his throwing motion as well. If he's having trouble setting his feet and getting his legs under him, his throws will sail on him, like a lot of them did against the 'Boys. If he has that problem again this week, the LoB is gonna have a big day, I think.

SeaChase

Reaction score
Pressure on Rogers will be key in this game. Irvin needs a few discount double checks.

titan3131

Reaction score
I dont believe this report. ALL smoke and mirrors imo.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
It will be warmer on Sunday (of course) and I will suggest that is a very bad thing for Rodgers. The cold numbs pain.

Polaris

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1z15xgee said:
Surprisingly Rodgers looked much better in the 2nd half yesterday, so it'll be interesting to see if he can manage the pain like he did yesterday in the 2nd half, rather than how he looked in the 1st half this Sunday.

If he's hobbling around? It's gonna be a full on blood in the water shark feeding frenzy.

I am not surprised that Rodgers looked better the second half. In the first place, I suspect that the injury bothered him a lot less once the muscles and body 'warmed up' completely...and with the adrenline of the game, he'd notice the pain less as well. Not only that, but I'd be shocked if the trainers didn't shoot him up at halftime to help manage the pain. Of course once the drugs (both natural and synthetic) wear off, you then feel every little pull, hit, and strain.....

SeaChase

Reaction score
Hopefully wet, which would favor a good running game.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Did anyone notice how spry he looked in the 2nd half compared to the first? In the first half he had a noticeable limp, in the second he was moving around much better with no limp.

While I cannot guarantee this theory, I think there is a very good chance that he received some sort of medical treatment at halftime which numbed the pain allowing him to perform better for a short period of time. However, it would also allow him to pull the calf even worse since he would be unable to feel what sort of damage he was causing. I could see that type of treatment being relevant in a SB where you have 4 months to recover anyways, but would never recommend it with a game the following week.

Jacknut16

Reaction score
BlueBlood":11jtnne3 said:

What league did you play in?

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
BlueBlood":t6ju260h said:

I saw this game live on ESPN "The Ocho"

Jacknut16

Reaction score
I did my calf tear in 2007 playing bball, it felt like someone kicked me hard in the calf when I grabbed a rebound I looked back and not a soul was there. I tried moving and went right down to the floor. I sat for a few minutes and the pain wasn't bad, I thought Im going back in, I had never been hurt with a major injury before or since. As I got up I was right back down again.

Within a week it was pretty bruised all the way down to my foot, so it must have been a bit worse than what Rodgers is experiencing right now. After a couple weeks it felt somewhat better and I did some pretty intense stretching exercises on it and on day two after that it was like I had torn the calf all over again, NOT GOOD.
At times I was able to walk fine, and other days I would need my crutches. Once you heat it up it seems to do better for a time, so I can picture what Rodgers is going through.

A very fickle injury indeed!

Point being, its a VERY tricky injury and I wondered if I would ever be the same. It since healed 100%, and I was playing flag football QB by September with no issue just 4 months later.

I have no doubt Rodgers is going to be quite limited this weekend, I cant imagine how GB can win with him less than 100%, the defense is weak with a capital W, and Lacy is no Murray.