Rory defends Lynch, golf media prays he doesn't follow suit

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Recently, Lynch answered every postgame query with “Thanks for asking.” After Saturday’s playoff victory over the Carolina Panthers, he changed his catchphrase to “I’m thankful.”

Reporters covering the team hate this. The NFL’s feelings were made known earlier this week, when Lynch’s appeal of his $100,000 fine was denied. But some fans and athletes can sympathize with a player constantly thrust under the microscope.

One of those in the pro-Lynch camp is Rory McIlroy, one of the most open, honest and engaging players in the world. He defended the bruising back with this tweet on Sunday:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/McIlroyRory/status/554218551028903937[/tweet]

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,523
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,523
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,523

Maulbert

Reaction score
One thing has become clear to me in this media stink over Lynch: Reporters completely overestimate their actual value to the fans, especially with the advent of social media. The number of arrogant reporters insulting Lynch for his answers has been deplorably high. I hope Lynch rides this all the way to the Super Bowl MVP.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
McIlroy just won the internets. Boss reply at the end.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":eokorrar said:
Go on the wee Rory! Slap it inda the bastards. Twitter twats being arseholes as usual.

Love this by Rory.
I know. Twitter brings out the d***s right?

Live his reply and it seems he agrees thwre are 50 plus other players to interview, coaches, etc

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
ah....the media saying it is them that is critical to the sport...yawn.

good on Rory. i am sure there are many others that will learn from lynch and perhaps do the same from time to time when the media annoys them.

as to "media"...any person with a computer and an internet connection can qualify there.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I also think it's lame that this guy thinks that 'journo's' like him are paying sportsmen's wages, using media as a generic term for it. Someone should tell him there's a difference between broadcasting and journalism.

rastahawk

Reaction score
Those were some classic and honest tweets. Agree with him 100%. Rory is probably my favorite player on the tour right now. Him and Ricky Fowler (Ricky is from the town next door and learned the game at a golf range I frequent). Anyway Rory's talent is off the charts. His swing is solid and he can send that ball miles!

Honestly, I am not one for post game interviews. I don't "demand" that the athletes I watch talk to the media after the game. I usually just mute the telly or go off and do something else. From time to time though I don't mind seeing a little segment on them and ML does do these i.e. E60, Sports Science, etc... but I don't want to hear him every day of the week. That's just silly esp for the athlete concerned. I bet the last thing they want after an emotional win or loss is to have a mike shoved in their face.

seahawksfanatic000

Reaction score
Before there was mass media and internet, people still enjoyed following sports! I remember a post awhile back about some guy getting a monthly seahawks magazine as a kid, and that was his only extra hawks info outside of games. People were happy with the team then, why not now?

marymoorhawk

Reaction score
That last tweet by Matt Cleary is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Trey Wingo is another supporter of Lynch's recalcitrance.

I don't know why they are complaining, Lynch's answers are giving them a story in itself. If they were any good at all they could make a great article out of it.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Already liked Rory a lot.. but his final line at the end is pure gold.

Nothing worse than the average schmuck comparing their game to a pro athlete. :lol:

sc85sis

Reaction score
I understand that the CBA requires NFL players to make themselves available to the media. I also understand that Marshawn--for whatever reason--is uncomfortable fulfilling that requirement. What I don't understand is why the media can't just figure this out. Shawn is not going to change his mind. Constantly hounding him at this point is practically tantamount to stalking. Hey media, he's just not that into you.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Why doesn't the media do something intelligent, like ask him something that he would talk about, like his foundation?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
"Paid to play, not answer media questions"; that's actually a flat-out lie. Every NFL player contract requires media availability. I love Marshawn, but I don't blame the league for getting on him about his media shenanigans. He knew the deal when he entered the draft.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
OkieHawk":1lonq1s2 said:
Why doesn't the media do something intelligent, like ask him something that he would talk about, like his foundation?

Someone tried that, asking him when his next charity event was. In the context of the other questions, it was obvious they were just trying to get him to say something other than "I'm thankful". Didn't work.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
sc85sis":rina1fgx said:
I understand that the CBA requires NFL players to make themselves available to the media. I also understand that Marshawn--for whatever reason--is uncomfortable fulfilling that requirement. What I don't understand is why the media can't just figure this out. Shawn is not going to change his mind. Constantly hounding him at this point is practically tantamount to stalking. Hey media, he's just not that into you.
And pretty much rude and disrespectful. Media acts so entitled and it is really annoying.

Latest posts