Thoughts on the upcoming game

StoneCold

Reaction score
Both teams are playing better than when we met in the beginning of the season. On the face of it, if we're both better, Hawks have the advantage. But after Saturday's game I have concerns.

Concerns:
Pass Rush: If we give Rodger's the amount of time we gave Cam, even a gimpy Rodger's will have some success. What I don't know is how GB's OL compares to Carolina's.

Run Defense: The Panthers were pretty successful running the ball. I expect Lacy to have a good game.

Receivers: Not really sure how much importance to put on Richardson being out. He's a rookie, but has been a pretty important piece over the last 6 or 7 games.

Not Concerned:

Russell Wilson: Smartest, most creative QB in the league. He's going to have a good game.

Marshawn Lynch: Can't believe the Packer's will have success containing the Beast. He's going to have a good game.

Jermaine and Baldwin: I have always thought these guys were under rated. Comes with playing on a run first offense. Oh well, I'll take a couple of rings over stats any day. They are going to have a good game.

Defense: As far as I saw we didn't have any serious injuries on Defense, other than my thought on the pass rush, they will bring it as they have all season. They're going to have a good game.

I really think this game will come down to harassing Rodgers. If we get pressure there's no way a gimpy QB is going to be able to make big plays. I look forward to seeing him on his back al afternoon.

Go Hawks.

SC

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I think the Hill injury was pretty obvious through out the NC game.. We were able to absorb the Mebane injury somewhat with Hill, but we seem to be at the end of our coffers.

12thManNorth

Reaction score
am I the only one that didn't think our pass rush was that bad against Carolina ? I saw us flushing out Newton numerous times. Yea we didn't get the sack numbers but I think if we would've played a less mobile QB our numbers would've looked quite a bit better

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Don't forget that the center for the Packers was as near a green as grass rookie as you can get, and Davante Adams (?spelling?) was not even the #3 WR then.

They have a couple of other WRs that were not producing then that have proven to be weapons too.

So it isn't just the loss of Mebane (which is huge).

Also Harvin was a huge benefit in that game, he was ripping their defense to pieces and forcing them to spread out - which opened up everyone else.

Should be a great game, but not a gimme by a long shot.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
I think with way we handled Cam, sure we might have sacked him more, but we tackled his targets before they could gain any yards after catch. Pressure was there in a slightly diffrent way.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
StoneCold":22vvomc9 said:
Both teams are playing better than when we met in the beginning of the season. On the face of it, if we're both better, Hawks have the advantage. But after Saturday's game I have concerns.

Concerns:
Pass Rush: If we give Rodger's the amount of time we gave Cam, even a gimpy Rodger's will have some success. What I don't know is how GB's OL compares to Carolina's.

Not concerned here. Cam Newton is a threat to run or scramble at any time. The potential pass rushers couldn't just rush Cam because then he would have gouged the defense with huge runs. They had to play a game of contain with him. Rodgers is normally a pretty mobile QB, so the defense would have to play him fairly similar if not for his quad injury. His mobility is now very limited if non existant. Expect to see a different defensive game plan that we saw against Carolina. Rodgers is reduced to only being a passing threat. A moderate pass rush will easily get to him.

Run Defense: The Panthers were pretty successful running the ball. I expect Lacy to have a good game.

[b]Not that concerned here either. Lacy is a big back and a good runner but the passing game is their bread and butter. Over their last 4-5 games, Carolina was near or at the top in rushing yards per game. The type of teams that have given the Seahawks problems this year are the run oriented clock management teams. Just look back to the SD, Dallas, KC games for evidence of this.[/b]

Receivers: Not really sure how much importance to put on Richardson being out. He's a rookie, but has been a pretty important piece over the last 6 or 7 games.

Again, not that concerned here either. GB's defense is by far the weakest that we have seen in weeks! In most games, the strength of any potential Seahawks win is the defense against any opposing offense. That is a strength going into this game, but for the first time in weeks, I believe the offense has a distinct advantage in this game over their offense.

Not Concerned:

Russell Wilson: Smartest, most creative QB in the league. He's going to have a good game.

Marshawn Lynch: Can't believe the Packer's will have success containing the Beast. He's going to have a good game.

Jermaine and Baldwin: I have always thought these guys were under rated. Comes with playing on a run first offense. Oh well, I'll take a couple of rings over stats any day. They are going to have a good game.

Defense: As far as I saw we didn't have any serious injuries on Defense, other than my thought on the pass rush, they will bring it as they have all season. They're going to have a good game.

I really think this game will come down to harassing Rodgers. If we get pressure there's no way a gimpy QB is going to be able to make big plays. I look forward to seeing him on his back al afternoon.
^this

Go Hawks.

SC

byau

Reaction score
12thManNorth":3war0xdv said:
am I the only one that didn't think our pass rush was that bad against Carolina ? I saw us flushing out Newton numerous times. Yea we didn't get the sack numbers but I think if we would've played a less mobile QB our numbers would've looked quite a bit better

I'm with you. That doesn't concern me as long as the Seahawks execute

Seems the plan against the Panthers was to contain Cam and not let him break loose, keep him in the pocket, make him beat you with his throwing from the pocket. Trust our pass defense. See what he can do - he has a strong arm, but has inconsistencies when it comes to accuracy

I am guessing the plan against Rodgers: very effective in the pocket and super accurate. Normally accurate on the run but if his leg is bothering him that will slow him down and possibly make him less accurate. Verdict? Rush him like crazy, make him try to scramble and make him beat you by scrambling and passing by scrambling

Thoughts?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
12thManNorth":29e0ge57 said:

You're right, pass rush was good. Newton is at the top of the list for QB's that are illusive to sack, he moves around well in the pocket.

It's the interior D that I'm worried about. They weren't good on rush or pass D. Cam had a LOT of room to look downfield.

Which scares the hell out of me, cause Cam's inaccurate, but Rodgers is not.

PackerBacker19

Reaction score
StoneCold":2h5mnaqt said:

Concerns:

Not Concerned:

Go Hawks.

SC

Gb has a much better O line than Carolina. We have been protecting Rodgers well lately. No sacks by New England, 1 by Buffalo, None by Detroit, and one by Dallas. We also have been running well. Lacy got 100 against New England, Buffalo, Detroit, and Dallas. GB has one of the better lines in football now. Took them about 8 weeks to get going, but they look like a top 10 possibly top 5 line.

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
Very good points made about Cam's mobility dictating a particular kind of pass rush.

SC

G-Money

Reaction score
I see Maxwell is going to be iffy for this weekends game. Simon got exploited a bit against Carolina, and we're not talking about Nelson/Cobb type talents. Hope Maxwell can get on the field Sunday............

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Carolina posed an entirely different threat on offense than most other teams do with Newton's ability to move extremely well.

This week we can focus on the back, there won't be read option or any option that isn't a hand off or screen. The defense will be able to play like they normally do and they will get to Rodgers.

Maybe not sacks, but certainly help for the DBs.

GB is not going to have the ball enough to have a huge offensive day and of course there is the whole thing about this being in the Clink.

Packer fans are going to claim about how much different they are, but that is all just talk. They haven't done anything against this defense. Not taking them lightly, just presenting fact.

hoxrox

Reaction score
12thManNorth":31abz8rj said:

I saw him step up in the pocket and make some throws he didn't make in our previous meetings. The ends rushed well, but we were lacking interior pressure, which is something we will need vs Rodgers.

kearly

Reaction score
JR Sweezy could almost beat Eddie Lacy in a footrace. The Seahawks will shut Lacy down, unless they forget how to tackle.

SEAHAWKBLITZ

Reaction score
I'm thinking the run D will be fine. The trouble with the Panthers was that their offense is very deceptive with the threat of Cam running. I sit in the endzone where it is typically pretty easy to watch the plays develop and quite often i was watching someone who didn't even have the ball. Granted, I'm no bobby Wagner, but I'm sure the deceptiveness caused at least a little bit of misreads or slower than normal reactions from our defenders. We won't have to worry about that this week. Rodgers will be a siting duck back there. We just have to crank it up and get to him. If we do, it's game over.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Bennett, Avril and Irvin all provide good pressure.

Seahawks just look different than most teams becuase they almost never blitz. It'd be nice to see Wagner and wright bllitz a bit this game.

Edit: Maybe not. Just heard a stat that Rodgers has like a 130 passer rating against the blitz. It was something incredible like that.

Seafan

Reaction score
There may be a little drop off without Hill. Quinn takes his time to sort out rotations and he has a lot of guys who haven't been in the pass rush rotation with King, Dobbs, Tukuofu, McDaniel, etc. It will get better every game and with the remaining teams in the playoffs I don't expect much of a fall off from earlier. Cam and Stewart provided enough problems to reduce the Hawk's efficiency in pass rush and run defense. No other team can give the Hawks that kind of problem.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Erin will test Sherm on several occasions this time around and he will complete a couple. He will also get picked off once for his efforts.

Largent80

Reaction score
G-Money":27ihrfcu said:
I see Maxwell is going to be iffy for this weekends game. Simon got exploited a bit against Carolina, and we're not talking about Nelson/Cobb type talents. Hope Maxwell can get on the field Sunday............

The defense we played vs. Cam was putting Simon on an island, he got no help, that defense will NOT be employed for this game, That was a tough game for Simon but it also was a learning experience, and I look for him to rebound.

And Maxwell basically had congestion in his lungs from an illness that hadn't totally cleared.
He has respiratory problems that probably are associated with having pneumonia before. He should be fine for this game.

Phteven

Reaction score
I think the Seahawks have to get pressure on Rodgers, wether we actually get the sack or not. He's not going to be a threat to scramble, and his mobility within the pocket looked pretty bad last weekend, until they shot him up with something at half time.

If AR has time in the pocket, he will put a lot of pressure on our secondary, particularly Simon (if he's playing). Simon is my only real concern.

I really like how the Seahawks have become a second half team. I give all credit to GB. They're a great team, but if the Seahawks are within a touchdown at half time, I'm very confident we put up at least 14 in the second half.

If Lynch is breaking tackles for 5+ yards per carry in the first quarter, it's going to be a blow out.