The unseen Beauty of the Baldwin Touchdown Pass

ivotuk

Reaction score
Russell had pressure but knew he didn't have time to wait for Doug to get to his spot, so he threw an absolute Rainbow! That ball had a lot of loft under it which gave it perfect timing to land right in ADB's chest.

I'm not absolutely positive yet, but I see a lot of maturation in Russell Wilson's passing. His accuracy is improving and I saw at least 2 balls that would likely have been overthrows in the past. The jump ball to Marshawn, and the first long toss to Jermaine Kearse.

Can you imagine what it would be like when Russell Wilson consistently starts hitting the 70% completion mark? AbsolutleyFreakingRidiculous! :shock:

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I don't think he'll ever hit 70% just because of how smart he is with how many times he throws it away. I'd be interested to see where his % was with the throwaways taken out.

zifnab32

Reaction score
ivotuk":2i7cg05m said:
Can you imagine what it would be like when Russell Wilson consistently starts hitting the 70% completion mark? AbsolutleyFreakingRidiculous! :shock:

Considering that a QB has been at 70+% for a season like 4 times in NFL history it would be pretty ridiculous

themunn

Reaction score
ivotuk":22issvcl said:
I'm not absolutely positive yet, but I see a lot of maturation in Russell Wilson's passing. His accuracy is improving and I saw at least 2 balls that would likely have been overthrows in the past. The jump ball to Marshawn, and the first long toss to Jermaine Kearse.

If you mean the 33 yard 3rd down conversion and not the TD to Kearse, I still thought that was an overthrow (albeit, thrown on the run so I can forgive him for it). If the ball had been thrown about a foot lower, that would have made Kearse's 63 yard bomb in the second half the second longest TD throw in Seahawks history (by a whole 1 yard).

byau

Reaction score
ivotuk":1ucrydxj said:
Russell had pressure but knew he didn't have time to wait for Doug to get to his spot, so he threw an absolute Rainbow! That ball had a lot of loft under it which gave it perfect timing to land right in ADB's chest.

I am pretty sure that was called too. Pre-snap. I think Russell read the blitz, called it somehow to tell Doug to just gun it and the ball would be there. He threw it up, let Baldwin go for it.

Love the maturation. And the pre-snap call (though what was with the "goggles" gesture Russell made? Was that him telling Doug to go long?)

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Also don't forget that Helfet dropped two passes, his completion percentage would of been up there.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
themunn":34v73ago said:
ivotuk":34v73ago said:

If you mean the 33 yard 3rd down conversion and not the TD to Kearse, I still thought that was an overthrow (albeit, thrown on the run so I can forgive him for it). If the ball had been thrown about a foot lower, that would have made Kearse's 63 yard bomb in the second half the second longest TD throw in Seahawks history (by a whole 1 yard).

I think that's the 1 major knitpick for Russell WIlson's game. I'm certain he'll continue to get better in this respect. That is his accuracy and intermediate to deep balls is on target so that completion can be made, but not the A+ accuracy that allows his WR's to maximize their YAC yards. Just think if he hits Kearse in stride, it's likely that's a BIG TD throw. Similarly, throughout this last half of the year he's hit BIG plays, but those big plays could have been EPIC plays if the accuracy was a little better.

I think of the P-Rich Catch against the Eagles, if he doesn't throw it so high and is able to lead him P-Rich get's another 10-15 yards. Now the Kearse/ Baldwin TD throws were absolutely perfect. However the pass to Willson that ended up being a TD was a little behind. I know it's being ultra critical. But when he starts hitting those plays with better accuracy those plays become even bigger allowing his guys to run after the catch.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1ah1tr2b said:
I don't think he'll ever hit 70% just because of how smart he is with how many times he throws it away. I'd be interested to see where his % was with the throwaways taken out.

Thing is, since he's really stepped it up against Arizona he's gone 52 of 78 for a 67% completion percentage. Take away a couple of dumb drops from Helfet and Willson and he's pushing 70%. Whilst this level of play might not be sustainable over a season he's done it without one of our most reliable catchers in Zach Miller; who's been replaced with the often unreliable Luke Willson.

Pete reiterated it again this week (that he thought he'll go 70% one of these years) and I kind of think it's achievable. It would probably take a year of Healthy Miller/Moeaki plus another pre-season with our young wide receivers. A big target for Russ to throw to when he's contemplating throwing it away wouldn't hurt either.

themunn

Reaction score
jlwaters1":3kxgd0jn said:
themunn":3kxgd0jn said:
ivotuk":3kxgd0jn said:

I think that's the 1 major knitpick for Russell WIlson's game. I'm certain he'll continue to get better in this respect. That is his accuracy and intermediate to deep balls is on target so that completion can be made, but not the A+ accuracy that allows his WR's to maximize their YAC yards. Just think if he hits Kearse in stride, it's likely that's a BIG TD throw. Similarly, throughout this last half of the year he's hit BIG plays, but those big plays could have been EPIC plays if the accuracy was a little better.

I think of the P-Rich Catch against the Eagles, if he doesn't throw it so high and is able to lead him P-Rich get's another 10-15 yards. Now the Kearse/ Baldwin TD throws were absolutely perfect. However the pass to Willson that ended up being a TD was a little behind. I know it's being ultra critical. But when he starts hitting those plays with better accuracy those plays become even bigger allowing his guys to run after the catch.

Agreed - I do think a lot of it is to do with throwing on the run though. From the pocket you can practice those throws over and over and over again on the field, but when you're running from pressure there are few QBs in the league that can put the ball on a dime like that. The ideal for a QB is to get dozens of reps throwing the same ball on the same route, but no two throws on the run are ever going to be the same, so I think his accuracy will always lack a bit on that. When he gets time in the pocket or at the very least recognises the coverage and gets rid of it quickly, you get the results of the Kearse and Baldwin TDs, but when the opportunity isn't there or the pressure forces him out of the pocket, his accuracy is always going to falter slightly.
Now, as long as he keeps making plays like that, that are completions it won't matter, but on that 33 yard bomb, we ended up punting after a fumble, incompletion and penalty, when in reality it could have been a TD.

I'm under no illusions that Wilson will be looking back at that one on the gametape though and thinking the exact same as us though - one that got away.

mikeak

Reaction score
themunn":3cpeupqg said:
ivotuk":3cpeupqg said:

Not trying to defend RW as I think he does have a tendency to throw the ball high BUT go back and look at the Kearse play and I disagree with you. I thought the exact same thing originally and changed my mind.

Kearse runs upfield and out he then changes it and goes more parallel to the lines. I think RW thought he would continue at the angle up-the field and why not - there was nobody there and it is a TD. RW threw the ball where he thought Kearse would be but he took off the angle and suddenly it looks overthrown and forces a good catch with no more yardage.

That is what I saw after looking back at it but may be wrong :)

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
If Wilson had a line that could pass-protect, it would be helpful to his %. Or really good receivers. He has to work his ass off just to get a pass off, the way it is now.

Hawks46

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2qfz0e68 said:
Seanhawk":2qfz0e68 said:

Thing is, since he's really stepped it up against Arizona he's gone 52 of 78 for a 67% completion percentage. Take away a couple of dumb drops from Helfet and Willson and he's pushing 70%. Whilst this level of play might not be sustainable over a season he's done it without one of our most reliable catchers in Zach Miller; who's been replaced with the often unreliable Luke Willson.

Pete reiterated it again this week (that he thought he'll go 70% one of these years) and I kind of think it's achievable. It would probably take a year of Healthy Miller/Moeaki plus another pre-season with our young wide receivers. A big target for Russ to throw to when he's contemplating throwing it away wouldn't hurt either.

I think it will be ridiculous if he gets 70% within the offense that we currently run. Similar to 2013 and the latter half of 2012, there's no shortage of long PA passes. Wilson was pushing 73% for the first 4 games of the year, but I theorize that it was artificial as his YPA dropped significantly. He was throwing shorter, safer passes to get his completion % up, and there was a lot of shorter stuff that was forced to Harvin to keep him happy. I'm actually happier with a 66% completion percentage if his YPA is high 8's. Getting a few more % points, but dropping his YPA to 5.5 isn't as productive.

ANd Jlwaters, it's not hyper critical what you're saying. Elite QBs can get the all to their guys to maximize YAC, get into tight windows, or keep their guy from getting blown up. Wilson is accurate, but not that elite accuracy yet. I'd bet this is something WIlson would acknowledge and is working on. I also agree that the first Kearse catch was an over throw and he would've gone to the house with it if it was more catchable.

Getting slightly more reliable receivers would also up his % rate. Helfet had a bad game, Willson has had bad games, and there are other guys who drop stuff here and there.

ChiefHawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":3qvsh0hz said:

I loved this play, and while we are all justifiably excited by Kam's epic game, this was a statement to me that Russel and ADB have reached a new level. Just as you said - he knew he was out of time, he knew where Baldwin would be, and when he would get there. The sense of timing and confidence in his receiver is perfect.

My quote when this play happened was: "Russel Wilson just beat them in FOUR dimensions - left/right, forward/back, above/below and TIME."

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
byau":1yqm0a1p said:
ivotuk":1yqm0a1p said:

I am pretty sure that was called too. Pre-snap. I think Russell read the blitz, called it somehow to tell Doug to just gun it and the ball would be there. He threw it up, let Baldwin go for it.

Love the maturation. And the pre-snap call (though what was with the "goggles" gesture Russell made? Was that him telling Doug to go long?)

I saw that too. I think it was "Panthers will be crying after this play."

StoneCold

Reaction score
themunn":3csx23p4 said:
ivotuk":3csx23p4 said:

I'll have to watch it again, but there was a Panther player in the area and Russell had to get it over that player without putting too much loft and give him a shot at knocking it down. But Like I said I'll have to watch it again.

SC

byau

Reaction score
ivotuk":3qrseh32 said:
byau":3qrseh32 said:
ivotuk":3qrseh32 said:

I saw that too. I think it was "Panthers will be crying after this play."

haha that's pretty funny

SeahawksMSHing

Reaction score
We are starting to see what happens when players start to get a real feel for each other and the schemes. Heard PC say today that Bill Walsh told him it takes about 5 years with a team before you can really do special things or something to that effect. Basically we are seeing Baldwin/Kearse/Willson and Russ beginning to build that memory book of plays... Its amazing to watch this team and players develop yet still play championship football. They are not kidding that they can get a lot better. Scary thought for rest of league.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Russell has also figured out that Luke Willson struggles with high bullets but does very well with over-the-shoulder touch-pass floaters. So Wilson, Bevell, and Willson have figured out how to adjust things to make Luke Willson a threat by using him for what he does well.

Now that we're in "Internet Time" maybe the Walsh 5 year number is down to 2. Must be those iPads--er, Microsoft Surface tablets.