Plenty of money left for Russ & Bobby

Chawks1

Reaction score
Has anyone looked at our salary cap number committed so far 2016 when the big $$$ for RW and Bobby would kick-in?

Check this out from over the cap.....

Total Cap Number: $76,724,103
Offense: $17,155,878 Defense: $56,043,225 Special: $3,525,000

The cap is estimated to go up to $141m in 2015.....probably higher in 2016...... We are in GREAT shape down the road!

12thManNorth

Reaction score
Had almost written off Maxwell staying with Simon's solid play this year, but given Simon's injury history and after seeing that he still has a LOT of improving to do, I wonder if there's any way we'll consider trying to free up some cash to keep Maxwell around. I'd still think we'll roll the dice and let him walk as you can only pay your secondary so much, but will be interesting to see. The next game or two could go a long way towards swaying that decision either way

HawkFan72

Reaction score
12thManNorth":2boc26kf said:
Had almost written off Maxwell staying with Simon's solid play this year, but given Simon's injury history and after seeing that he still has a LOT of improving to do, I wonder if there's any way we'll consider trying to free up some cash to keep Maxwell around. I'd still think we'll roll the dice and let him walk as you can only pay your secondary so much, but will be interesting to see. The next game or two could go a long way towards swaying that decision either way

Pete said today that Maxwell has had some chest issues for a while. If that is really what was causing him to miss time on Saturday, and it's given him issues in the past...then perhaps other teams may be wary of giving him a long-term deal with lots of guaranteed money.

Unfortunately for Maxwell, he may not be able to find a great deal on the open market based solely on this chest issue.

jblaze

Reaction score
Maxwell will walk. He'll likely be the best CB on the market and he'll command around 7m apy most likely. The only way we could afford him (after extensions for Wagner and RW) is to start cutting people. At this point I don't think we cut Lynch or Miller or Mebane so I think Maxwell is on the outside looking in at this point.

Also let's not overreact here, Simon had one bad game when he's generally played well this season regardless of the bonehead penalties. Paying all four of your starting DB's is not sustainable. We'll need to keep our #2 CB position on rookie contracts for the foreseeable future due to the ballooning of other large contracts we have done lately. It's not really so much an issue for 2015 as it is an issue with 2016 if you look at the salary cap figures.

I see us drafting another one or two CB's this spring. We also will need to start looking down the road to losing Lane as our nickel CB. Also we badly need a KR/PR and often times a young CB or RB can step into that role and contribute well on special teams.

On topic though, yes we have plenty for Bobby and RW and that's even with keeping Lynch, Miller and Mebane. Gotta love tv revenue and increasing salary caps! The timing is uncanny!

Hawknballs

Reaction score
looking at the 2016 cap is great but that number you give should also be prefaced with the fact that it only accounts for 24 players right now. 29 other guys are going to be paid as well.

Even if those other 29 guys only cost 1M each, and we assume that wilson's cap hit will be 20 (the way they structure it it'll probably be less but have to use something realistic to guestimate) that's already back up to 125m. Bobby will probably be another 6ish, so that's 130.

The only RB/WR on the list on over the cap for 2016 are Michael, Baldwin, Norwood, and Richardson - and Sherman and Simon are the only CB's.

It's going to be much tougher than it looks.

Luckily every team has to solve this problem and we have what I believe are the best guys in place to do it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
12thManNorth":2bp5nmjy said:

I don't see how in the hell we can keep Maxwell. He will be not only the #1 DB on the market, but top 5 overall FA.

Someone's gonna pay him a lot of money cause it's such a huge position of need.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
BAJAHAWK":3p4obl4t said:
There is plenty of interest for Byron

http://www.hngn.com/articles/55759/2014 ... axwell.htm

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nf ... pittsburgh

BUT as Pete and John always say and backup by action is THEY TAKE CARE OF THEIR GUYS and Byron is one of their guys they LOVE...

They will make a deal and keep the LEIGON together. I am 100% sure of that.

Tate was also one of their guys they loved. But when someone makes a crazy offer that we can't match then you have to let the player walk.......and unfortunately I think Maxwell is going to get some crazy offers.

Besides, I think the cap plan all along with John and Pete was to keep developing a cheap corner opposite of Sherman so that we COULD keep Kam, Sherm and Thomas.

Brahn

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":35gc4xrm said:
BAJAHAWK":35gc4xrm said:

BUT as Pete and John always say and backup by action is THEY TAKE CARE OF THEIR GUYS and Byron is one of their guys they LOVE...

Tate was also one of their guys they loved. But when someone makes a crazy offer that we can't match then you have to let the player walk.......and unfortunately I think Maxwell is going to get some crazy offers.

Besides, I think the cap plan all along with John and Pete was to keep developing a cheap corner opposite of Sherman so that we COULD keep Kam, Sherm and Thomas.

Tate had other expensive hobbies that made him easier to be let go by the Front Office.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Hawknballs":sembx5od said:
looking at the 2016 cap is great but that number you give should also be prefaced with the fact that it only accounts for 24 players right now. 29 other guys are going to be paid as well.

Even if those other 29 guys only cost 1M each, and we assume that wilson's cap hit will be 20 (the way they structure it it'll probably be less but have to use something realistic to guestimate) that's already back up to 125m. Bobby will probably be another 6ish, so that's 130.

The only RB/WR on the list on over the cap for 2016 are Michael, Baldwin, Norwood, and Richardson - and Sherman and Simon are the only CB's.

It's going to be much tougher than it looks.

Luckily every team has to solve this problem and we have what I believe are the best guys in place to do it.

This. Also things to account for is draft picks. I would also be surprised if Bobby doesn't get like 8.

danp1990

Reaction score
Chawks1":1z7n2bb0 said:
Has anyone looked at our salary cap number committed so far 2016 when the big $$$ for RW and Bobby would kick-in?

Check this out from over the cap.....

Total Cap Number: $76,724,103
Offense: $17,155,878 Defense: $56,043,225 Special: $3,525,000

The cap is estimated to go up to $141m in 2015.....probably higher in 2016...... We are in GREAT shape down the road!

Yea I looks like we would have 30-32 million in Cap Space.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
With the continued success that Petey has with drafting and teaching DBs I just cant see us spending the money that it would take to keep Maxwell here. I do expect us to continue drafting a CB every draft and I do expect us to get a 3rd round 2016 comp pick for Maxwell when he signs elsewhere. As of right now we have just under 1/6 of 2016 salary cap tied up in Kam/ET/Sherman alone.

I wouldnt be surprised he if he got a contract with a yearly avg of 6-7 million. We already know how teams overpay for people from the Super Bowl winning team. He could be a 2x Super Bowl winner and is already a member of the vaunted LOB. Food for thought - Brandon Browner got 5.5 Million a year avg for the Pats last year at the age of 29 and coming off his drug suspension

zhawk

Reaction score
Browner is also on a superbowl contender. Accident or is he some of the cause? You be the judge. I think he's helping. Go Hawks!

Laloosh

Reaction score
BAJAHAWK":2axxq2cw said:

We're not going to be able to afford him. I wouldn't be shocked to see Santa Clara throw their hat in as well. Do they even have a CB under contract in 2015?

MVP53

Reaction score
zhawk":3p5oj6xc said:
Browner is also on a superbowl contender. Accident or is he some of the cause? You be the judge. I think he's helping. Go Hawks!

I'm sure BB is helping, but NE has been a SB contender almost every year for going on 14 years now.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Am I the only one who doesn't think the raising salary cap suddenly helps you? If anything it just means the salary expectations themselves will inflate too. You don't think the agents will be looking at those raising salary caps saying "wait, wait wait, you can afford more than that!"

12thManNorth

Reaction score
ZagHawk":3vsq5ont said:
Am I the only one who doesn't think the raising salary cap suddenly helps you? If anything it just means the salary expectations themselves will inflate too. You don't think the agents will be looking at those raising salary caps saying "wait, wait wait, you can afford more than that!"

Not to mention of course the cap goes up for every team, not just us. Ie teams have more money to lure our players away with ridiculous offers

Cad

Reaction score
An interesting discussion is what to do about Kearse. He doesn't exactly light the stat book on fire, but he has been huge for us in the playoffs. And with that ugly injury to P-Rich in an already-thin WR corps, keeping Kearse becomes more urgent.

So do you offer Kearse a deal? if so, how much? Or do you roll the dice on Norwood and someone in the draft?

Laloosh

Reaction score
Cad":1zxuvkni said:
An interesting discussion is what to do about Kearse. He doesn't exactly light the stat book on fire, but he has been huge for us in the playoffs. And with that ugly injury to P-Rich in an already-thin WR corps, keeping Kearse becomes more urgent.

So do you offer Kearse a deal? if so, how much? Or do you roll the dice on Norwood and someone in the draft?

Considering Richardson's elevation in the depth chart, I doubt they offer him much. Then again, he's been the only dependable "bigger" receiver for us since Rice's injury last year. He's a local kid so it'll be interesting to see how it's handled and I'd like to see him stay.