kam running into kicker?

cymatica

Reaction score
Hello, first post but been lurkin a while, alwaysgood info here.

Hadn't heard any mention of it, but did kam not defledeflect the ball on the 2nd fg hurdle? How is that running into the kicker?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
He did not touch the ball. The Hawks were trying to argue that he did, but it's pretty clear on the replay that he didn't touch it.

I still don't know how he missed the ball on either of those.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
They're saying that Kam didn't touch it, just that the kicker shanked it. I'm guessing he peed himself a little, too.

A

Anonymous

Welcome!

I believe he didn't get a piece of the ball, only the kicker. Hence the penalty.

At least that is my understanding.

Chawks1

Reaction score
Yeah we rewound it and replayed it from 3 angles.....looks like the kicker just missed hitting Kam on his shank shot. I'm sure he soiled his Depends though.

byau

Reaction score
HawkFan72":18mms7lo said:
He did not touch the ball. The Hawks were trying to argue that he did, but it's pretty clear on the replay that he didn't touch it.

Welcome!!

The first FG attempt, kicker was able to angle it away from Kam and it went through the uprights.

The second FG attempt, with the false start, to angle it away again five yards deeper he missed the uprights.

So both times, Kam did not get a hand on the ball, but he did disrupt the play. Esp. loved that it caused a false start on the first one.

Pretty brilliant. Especially now you got to think that even if Kam never does it again, the threat is there and special teams may have to spend tiem planning for that and practicing that.

kam-chancellor-block-800.jpg

BlueBlood

Reaction score
I think he skimmed the ball on a molecular level which invisible to the naked eye. Incredible freak super hero athlete we have. Can he ever get an all pro nod though because he's having a hall of fame career but without the accolades he may not make it. He's been an integral part of one of the best defenses to ever be assembled .

jkitsune

Reaction score
Kam not blocking either of those FGs is almost more impressive than the vault he made to get there in the first place.

I've always hated the running into the kicker rule, because it penalizes players for attempting to block a kick. While egregious contact should still be a personal foul, I've always hated the way the rules change depending on whether you touched the ball. Either the contact is illegal or it isn't - what happened a split second before the ball shouldn't matter. Kam's attempt is a perfect example: he clearly resulted in the missed FG as a direct result of his actions, without having yet contacted the kicker. However, because the kicker shanked it and the ball didn't touch him, the contact is a foul. If the kicker doesn't shank it, and the ball hits Kam, it's not a foul.

Doesn't really make sense to me. I personally think they should just do away with the 5-yard running into the kicker altogether.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
jkitsune":3a92skv8 said:
Doesn't really make sense to me. I personally think they should just do away with the 5-yard running into the kicker altogether.

Yes. This is one rule that needs to go the same way the facemask penalty went. Either it is a penalty, of the 15-yard personal foul variety, or it is incidental.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There is actually a picture of him circulating that shows Kam in the air with what looks to be his hand clearly touching the ball.

It was in one of the discussion forums talking about the penalty, and unless it is a spectacular photoshop job - he had to have hit the ball.

So I am not sure the penalty is legit. If you Google different forums talking about the Kam penalty you can find it.

Taehwk

Reaction score
LoL, I hope Bennett bought the snapper dinner before molesting him. 15 yd penalty for fisting. :shock:

seabowl

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":12zbvflt said:
Bennett's getting a bit personal in the picture upthread.

Illegal hands to the $?@&!%

evergreen

Reaction score
What a bummer he knocked that guy over with his hand. Such an awesome play...

Boycie

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":1zds6w2m said:
Welcome!

I believe he didn't get a piece of the ball, only the kicker. Hence the penalty.

At least that is my understanding.

I hate that penalty! Kam hardly touched the guy. This really should be a ref's judgement call. The whole idea is to protect the kicker from getting smoked on every kick, but when a guy's forward momentum hardly touches him like Kam did, the refs gotta keep the flag in their pocket. I mean, can you imagine if the ref didn't throw the flag? That play Kam made would be one of the plays of the year. I couldn't believe he jumped the line like he did a second time. Impressive!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1fsdsrya said:

even the ball was afraid of him

Ozzy

Reaction score
An NFL kicker(not sure if current or retired) tweeted out after the play that he thought the penalty was bogus and that the NFL goes too far protecting them. I get when they blast a plant leg or something similar but this penalty was pretty weak.