New beverage discrepancies at CenturyLink Field

BocciHawk

Reaction score
I'll duplicate my post below but if you think this is interesting and should be address, please consider sending out a Twitter or visiting Facebook and liking and/or sharing my post.

https://www.facebook.com/bob.ramstad.9/ ... nref=story

Beverage discrepancies at CenturyLink Field for Seahawks vs Panthers.

I was a bit shocked when I did this experiment today at my house.

I purchased a few beers on Saturday at the Seahawks game from the Craft House stand near section 109. This is the closest beer stand to my seats, and is one I've frequented for a few years now.

The cups had a neat "We are 12" logo on them, as well as the 2014 playoff logo, so I kept a few. I have a collection of Seahawks cups including some from the 2013 playoffs.

The new cups seemed a bit small when I rinsed them and put them away. This morning I filled one of the new cups up to the brim with water, and then poured it into one of the 2013 playoff cups. Imagine my surprise when the water didn't come close to filling the old cup up.

I added some yellow food coloring for contrast and took a photo, the old 2013 playoff cup is on the left, new 2014 playoff cup is on the right.

From further examination, I believe the new cups are 16 oz, and the old cups are 20 oz. I purchased beer at the Rams game but did not keep the cup, but I'm fairly certain that the change happened just now, for the playoffs, with the new 2014 playoff cups and that the Craft House stand had been serving 20 oz beers up until Saturday the 10th.

I have to say I'm fairly offended. Craft House gets $9.75 per beer. This is a significant change, it's 25% less product. Nowhere on the signage at the stand was any indication that the size had changed, and of course, there was no reduction in price, either.

To put it in perspective, suppose you purchased one of the old beers each quarter, for a total of four, at a cost of $39 for 80 oz of beer. With the new cups, you would have to purchase five beers to get the same quantity of product, at a cost of an additional $9.75.

It is wrong that this change was made with no notification. I also find it cynical and wrong that the new cup invokes the We are 12 motto, and yet the new cup seems to be just a ploy to deny hardworking 12s the frosty refreshment required to keep 12 throats in good working order.

For the curious, I'm a long time Seahawks fan, the last home game I missed was October 12, 1998. In the past I knew people in the organization that I could take this to, but I do not anymore. I suspect the Seahawks organization doesn't know anything about this change, it's something that the concession people would handle. I would like an apology from them and either moving back to the 20 oz cup ASAP or changing the pricing for the smaller cup to something fair for the smaller quantity like $7.25.

open

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Teams raise prices on concessions all the time. In this case, they shrank quantity while keep the price unchanged. The end result is the same, higher profit.

No amount of hand wringing on social media is going to change that.

BoatsAndHose

Reaction score
I believe the sizes at Craft House have always been smaller due to the better quality and higher alcohol content of the beer served there. Are you sure you purchased the larger cup last year at Craft House?

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Cost of Doing BIDNESS.

I dont remember all the politics but didn't mr Paul Allen foot alot of the bill for SEahawks stadium/Qwest/Clink?

Also doesn't he open up his check book for the best facilities money can buy, and the best HC/GM and coaching staff money can buy? And didn't his investment produce the first championship in team history, and isn't his team hosting the nfccg again this year?

He can charge the 12s whatever the h e double hockey sticks he wants for tickets, beer, food whatever. Unlike baseball there are only 8 (or for us 10) events a year for them to rake in the cash.

If you dont like it, theres only about 100K people on the ticket waiting list who'll take your spot

OP
OP
BocciHawk

BocciHawk

Reaction score
BoatsAndHose":3u777oon said:
I believe the sizes at Craft House have always been smaller due to the better qulaity and higher alcohol content of the beer served there. Are you sure you purchased the larger cup last year at Craft House?

I bought larger cups this year at the Rams game... just a few weeks ago. I didn't save the cups so that's from admittedly faulty memory.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
and this is why i will just be smuggling in my own bourbon for the game and purchasing a few cokes.

OP
OP
BocciHawk

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":2epkq964 said:
Teams raise prices on concessions all the time. In this case, they shrank quantity while keep the price unchanged. The end result is the same, higher profit.

Um, yeah. Isn't it sleazy to serve a 20 oz beer for 9.75 on Sunday December 28th, and then turn around and serve a 16 oz beer for 9.75 on Saturday January 10th, with no change in signage and no disclosure whatsoever?

OP
OP
BocciHawk

BocciHawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2bo3mucu said:
Cost of Doing BIDNESS.

I dont remember all the politics but didn't mr Paul Allen foot alot of the bill for SEahawks stadium/Qwest/Clink?

Also doesn't he open up his check book for the best facilities money can buy, and the best HC/GM and coaching staff money can buy? And didn't his investment produce the first championship in team history, and isn't his team hosting the nfccg again this year?

He can charge the 12s whatever the h e double hockey sticks he wants for tickets, beer, food whatever. Unlike baseball there are only 8 (or for us 10) events a year for them to rake in the cash.

If you dont like it, theres only about 100K people on the ticket waiting list who'll take your spot

I can assure you that Paul Allen wasn't involved in the decision to swap a 20 oz pour for a 16 oz pour with zero notification and no reduction in price.

WendellWent

Reaction score
BocciHawk":17u2xe38 said:
BoatsAndHose":17u2xe38 said:
I believe the sizes at Craft House have always been smaller due to the better qulaity and higher alcohol content of the beer served there. Are you sure you purchased the larger cup last year at Craft House?

I bought larger cups this year at the Rams game... just a few weeks ago. I didn't save the cups so that's from admittedly faulty memory.

Not from the Craft Beer stands. They have always been smaller cups.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
BocciHawk":2r6j246i said:
Seahawks1983":2r6j246i said:

Um, yeah. Isn't it sleazy to serve a 20 oz beer for 9.75 on Sunday December 28th, and then turn around and serve a 16 oz beer for 9.75 on Saturday January 10th, with no change in signage and no disclosure whatsoever?

The problem with your story is that didn't happen.

Green13

Reaction score
They can charge whatever they want, the demand is high and they are the only supply. There's never not a line!

Just FYI, those kegs probably cost $145-$165 for the good stuff, $95 for Bud. There are roughly 120 beers in a keg. You do the math.

:thirishdrinkers:

BoatsAndHose

Reaction score
gowazzu02":6e9qwd6a said:
Cost of Doing BIDNESS.

Love it when someone asks a legitmate question and the response is effectively "if you don't like it give up your season tix" lol.

A

Anonymous

Green13":n3dhuuup said:
They can charge whatever they want, the demand is high and they are the only supply. There's never not a line!

Just FYI, those kegs probably cost $145-$165 for the good stuff, $95 for Bud. There are roughly 120 beers in a keg. You do the math.

:thirishdrinkers:

Uhhh, I'm no mathematician, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

That is one HELL of a profit margin.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
As tacky as it looks, now I know why people buy the cans in the stadium.

I'll admit when I saw the plastic souvenir cups, I quickly noticed they seemed small. Not to mention what if I don't want this "souvenir" cup. I usually don't drink at games anyway, but looks like I'm bringing some booze tubes in on Sunday (Easier to sneak in if you got your girl with you).

Booze tubes teaser

You can get it on Amazon or at Urban Outfitters. Sneak em in your jacket pocket or heck just put it in your "clear bag" you bring in. Get your free soda as a "Designated Driver" and load it up at your seat.

gulliver

Reaction score
Hard to avoid the feeling that it's a money grab.

That said, there is always the possibility that the $$$ is a side benefit of a policy which actually intends to cut down public intoxication, or DUIs, or whatever--if that is indeed a growing concern at the Clink.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
gowazzu02":323njgo8 said:
Cost of Doing BIDNESS.

and you can pre funk to your hearts delight and not drink AT ALL at the game.

WendellWent

Reaction score
BoatsAndHose":2xdipvxj said:
gowazzu02":2xdipvxj said:
Cost of Doing BIDNESS.

Love it when someone asks a legitmate question and the response is effectively "if you don't like it give up your season tix" lol.

Those Craft Beers have ALWAYS been smaller. It isn't a legit question, the guy is flat out mistaken about his Rams cup (either where he got it, or the size).