(Hypothetical) Schwartz to replace Quinn?

SirTed

Reaction score
I know he's not a young guy - but I wonder if it wouldn't be a good fit with our personnel.

What do you guys think?

The dude got a pretty bad rep (probably deserved) as an HC, but he's always been a great DC, is great with the DL and had that Buffalo defense really humming.

Thoughts?

Apologies if this shouldn't be in the main forum, but I thought maybe it's okay because we kinda all know Quinn is outa here.

McGruff

Reaction score
SirTed":nss8y16h said:
I know he's not a young guy - but I wonder if it wouldn't be a good fit with our personnel.

What do you guys think?

The dude got a pretty bad rep (probably deserved) as an HC, but he's always been a great DC, is great with the DL and had that Buffalo defense really humming.

Thoughts?

Apologies if this shouldn't be in the main forum, but I thought maybe it's okay because we kinda all know Quinn is outa here.

Carroll tends to like to employ younger coordinators and mentor them. He's also got his way of doing things, especially on defense, so its hard to imagine him hiring an experienced DC with a scheme of his own.

I kind of think of Carroll and Cable in the same way . . . both are the real gurus behind the offense and defense, but are at a time in their lives where they see the value in investing in the next wave of coaches.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
At the most basic level, it makes some sense since Schwartz runs a 4-3 scheme and doesn't blitz much (like Seattle). The problem I have with him is that his teams tend to be undisciplined. He was brought up by Jeff Fisher (8 years as his DC). Probably not a coincidence that the Lions developed a rep for dirty play under his guidance. It's an interesting idea to entertain, but I'm not sure it's a good personality fit.

I think Carroll will promote from within or look at someone he has some prior history with.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
I really don't care who the DC is this is Pete's D in all reality . Quinn is good but not irreplaceable.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
This D almost can practically coach it self. Any good to great DC will do fine if we lose Quinn.

The philosphy won't be a problem.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'm half wondering if Seattle doesn't cull from the college ranks. Maybe someone that in addition to adding to Carroll's brand of defense, will be in a position to shape opinion on college prospects.

We know that Seattle leaned on Quinn upon his return to the pros in that regard. Pete is also now entirely removed from having any collegiate experience with players coming in. Having that kind of insight seems to be valuable to this team.

In addition, you definitely see much greater innovation at the college level. I would think that element of 'the next big thing' would be endearing for Pete. I'm not sure Pete's track record on promoting from within is very strong. He seems to like to bring in people from the outside with new points of view.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
DavidSeven":9p63wcpn said:
I think Carroll will promote from within or look at someone he has some prior history with.
Bingo zps8edb7d89

I think the primary job of Pete's DC is being the eye in the sky on game days. Nobody better than one of his own, who knows what to look for and how to communicate it for halftime adjustments.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":2rr1b8dk said:
ken Norton has earned the job, IMO

I remember Norton saying he has no interest in being a DC and loves being the LB coach. I don't know if that remains to be the case though.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
I vote Kris Richard gets an in house promotion.
He is the DB coach and is appreciated by Pete.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
On paper, Seto (Defensive Passing Game Coodinator) and Richard (DBs Coach) look like viable in-house candidates. Maybe Travis Jones if Carroll wants a DL guy for the job, and if he isn't poached by Quinn. I'm sure Norton is an option too if he wants it.

CANHawk

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":106grm3t said:
Bobblehead":106grm3t said:
Hawk Strap":106grm3t said:
ken Norton has earned the job, IMO
Concurred.

So has Kris Richard.
My money's on Richard. But Pete seems to like his DC in the box and so much of what makes Richard great is how he interacts with the guys on the sideline. Like the hype man. I'd hate to lose that.

sc85sis

Reaction score
DavidSeven":12e5pov0 said:
On paper, Seto (Defensive Passing Game Coodinator) and Richard (DBs Coach) look like viable in-house candidates. Maybe Travis Jones if Carroll wants a DL guy for the job, and if he isn't poached by Quinn. I'm sure Norton is an option too if he wants it.
Rocky has been coaching longer than Kris and was Pete's choice at DC after Holt went to UW. Pete has been grooming him since 2001. This does not automatically mean Pete wouldn't go with an outside guy first, however. He did when he brought DQ back, for example.

canfan

Reaction score
So we want Schwartz because we are tired of disciplined defence that doesn't gamble at inappropriate times and gives up chunk plays? Sure, why let the offensive line have all the dead ball fouls? :sarcasm_off:

endzorn

Reaction score
I think our defense is more about Pete's influence than the actual coordinator. Schwartz does his thing, Carroll does his. Schwartz doesnt like hard, condescending pats on the back after losses, Pete just wins to avoid it.