Seahawks: The Last Elite NFL Defense

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Wow, Jeffri Chadiha actually writing a positive and complimentary article about the Seahawks? What is this world coming to?

Great read.

More than ever, the NFL's balance of power is tilted toward offense. And the further the league pushes its rules and officiating toward higher scores and increased safety, the more it feels like the Seahawks could be the game's last great defense.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12157153/why-seattle-seahawks-nfl-last-great-defense

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Thanks, but I'm not going to read it. Chadiha doesn't deserve clicks.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1bst072n said:
Wow, Jeffri Chadiha actually writing a positive and complimentary article about the Seahawks? What is this world coming to?

Great read.

More than ever, the NFL's balance of power is tilted toward offense. And the further the league pushes its rules and officiating toward higher scores and increased safety, the more it feels like the Seahawks could be the game's last great defense.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12157153/why-seattle-seahawks-nfl-last-great-defense
Gee, Chadiha being Captain Obvious so what's new?

OP
OP
HawkFan72

HawkFan72

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1dqt6rw5 said:
HawkFan72":1dqt6rw5 said:

Great read.

Gee, Chadiha being Captain Obvious so what's new?

I'd rather him be captain obvious about things that are true and positive for the Hawks rather than group-think bashing off of speculation about the Hawks.

I hate everything Chadiha writes too, so I was very surprised while reading this.

salamander

Reaction score
While agree that the Seahawks defense is one of the best in history especially considering rule changes that favor the offenses, I don't agree that this is the last elite defense. This is a copy cat league and you can already see with the hiring of defensive minded coaches that teams are going to start following the Seahawk's blueprint.

Another point that the author (and a lot of others too) overlooks when discussing the Seahawks is how good they are at player development. Everyone focuses on the Hawk's ability to draft and think they find great players in late rounds when other teams do not; but I think the success of the players they draft in later rounds has as much to do with how they develop their players after they are drafted than it does with how good the players are before they are drafted.

canfan

Reaction score
As usual, Jeffri Chadiha gets it totally wrong with his premise. Not that the Seahawks are not an elite defense, but he claims that there will never be another. He proclaims this with the same certainty he showed when he called Pete a failure. Somebody should call Buffalo, Detroit, & St. Louis and tell them to quit banging their heads against the wall wasting all those high draft picks on defense. Jeffri has spoken!!

ptisme

Reaction score
I don't see the Hawks as the last elite defense... Will be hard to replicate and it may be years.... The reason you were able to make it go is you had the quarterback in his first contract to go with the stud running back you literally stole from Buffalo. Overall this is the kind of team balance we may never see again in this era of free agency.... A whole litany of personnel breaks had to fall in place (come on, Kam in the fifth round?)

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
ptisme":2s0m07q7 said:
I don't see the Hawks as the last elite defense... Will be hard to replicate and it may be years.... The reason you were able to make it go is you had the quarterback in his first contract to go with the stud running back you literally stole from Buffalo. Overall this is the kind of team balance we may never see again in this era of free agency.... A whole litany of personnel breaks had to fall in place (come on, Kam in the fifth round?)

Agreed. He writes in absolutes all the time and he sets himself for an epic fail.

ptisme

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":s3t2fm06 said:
ptisme":s3t2fm06 said:
A whole litany of personnel breaks had to fall in place (come on, Kam in the fifth round?)

How many times do Pete and John have to hit in the draft before people will stop calling it luck and actually give them the credit they deserve for scouting well, drafting well, developing players well and putting players in a position to maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses? I get so sick of the "Well, they can't keep getting THIS lucking in the draft forever". It's got nothing to do with luck. Pete and John are just better than everyone else at drafting and developing players. Every one of their drafts has produced at least 2-3 very productive players, and all people want to talk about is how lucky they keep getting with these guys.

We're not getting breaks, we're just doing it better than everyone else. Get on our level.
No doubt they are good... wasn't a slight on them.... There is luck to this though too.... If they REALLY knew Cam was such a stud, for instance, why did they wait till the fifth round to take him? See what I'm saying'?

Donk70

Reaction score
I think it;s safe to say that our current D is one of the best of the Super Bowl era, or of all time. I rank us right there with the 85 Bears 46 D and the 2000 Ravens.

brettb3

Reaction score
ptisme":xmawtct2 said:
peachesenregalia":xmawtct2 said:
ptisme":xmawtct2 said:
A whole litany of personnel breaks had to fall in place (come on, Kam in the fifth round?)

How many times do Pete and John have to hit in the draft before people will stop calling it luck and actually give them the credit they deserve for scouting well, drafting well, developing players well and putting players in a position to maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses? I get so sick of the "Well, they can't keep getting THIS lucking in the draft forever". It's got nothing to do with luck. Pete and John are just better than everyone else at drafting and developing players. Every one of their drafts has produced at least 2-3 very productive players, and all people want to talk about is how lucky they keep getting with these guys.

We're not getting breaks, we're just doing it better than everyone else. Get on our level.
No doubt they are good... wasn't a slight on them.... There is luck to this though too.... If they REALLY knew Cam was such a stud, for instance, why did they wait till the fifth round to take him? See what I'm saying'?
I think what you're failing to consider is player development. Too many late round picks and undrafted players have turned into studs for it to be a coincidence.

ptisme

Reaction score
I'm not arguing guys. You have great talent personnel people and great assistants to coach them up. Some people think John Schneiders dream job is to come home to GB when Thompson retires. I would love to see that. Did you know that Ron Wolf's son Elliot is high up in the personnel command at GB is well... He's another one that will be a GM soon... He's only 30.

Seafan

Reaction score
ptisme":38zhhixl said:
I'm not arguing guys. You have great talent personnel people and great assistants to coach them up. Some people think John Schneiders dream job is to come home to GB when Thompson retires. I would love to see that. Did you know that Ron Wolf's son Elliot is high up in the personnel command at GB is well... He's another one that will be a GM soon... He's only 30.

Schneider is one SB win away from matching Wolf's legacy though you can argue he already has exceeded it. Schneider does not live in anyone's shadow. He's the best GM in the league. He has the best job in the NFL. I don't see him leaving Seattle anytime soon. He's going to want to hire Pete's replacement in a few years and prove that his system can work with different coaches. And as far as money goes, no owner can outbid Paul Allen.

ptisme

Reaction score
Seafan":1x493eo7 said:
ptisme":1x493eo7 said:

Schneider is one SB win away from matching Wolf's legacy though you can argue he already has exceeded it. Schneider does not live in anyone's shadow. He's the best GM in the league. He has the best job in the NFL. I don't see him leaving Seattle anytime soon. He's going to want to hire Pete's replacement in a few years and prove that his system can work with different coaches. And as far as money goes, no owner can outbid Paul Allen.
Why do many of you Seahawk fans find a slight where there is none? Where in my post oh where did I suggest Schneider was ever second fiddle to Wolf or anyone else?

sc85sis

Reaction score
He was on 710 this afternoon and talked about this. Mentioned how much he likes Russell and thinks he's perfect for this team and then pretty much said Russ is no better than Alex Smith.

Whaaaa?