PFT's Exec of the year

Cartire

Reaction score
Even though they didnt pick John, I put this in the main forum because the discussion Im about to have is about John and Pete.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -the-year/

I posted this in the comments section (I know, I have a sick fettish. Its a cess pool, but I cant resist).

Every coach and GM talks about building a team through the draft from the ground up. And how that takes time. And thats the way to do it right.

Pete and John have built a team from the ground up. They have constantly gotten better while staying young. They won the superbowl last year with the youngest team ever. Even after losing a ton of free agents because of their success, they still managed to get the #1 seed this year.

And yet neither has won either award ever. Sad. They’ve proven they have been the best, and yet get no respect for it.

Honestly though. This is becoming stupid at this point. And I got a little hyperbolic at the end. They do get respect. But they each deserve to win. They deserved it last year. And they definitely deserved it this year. What are your thoughts?

Mojambo

Reaction score
That's what comes with being anti-establishment. The establishment never really likes you.

On the other hand, they get to dominate their profession so I doubt either guy is complaining.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Cartire":wbz6dz2u said:
Even though they didnt pick John, I put this in the main forum because the discussion Im about to have is about John and Pete.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -the-year/

I posted this in the comments section (I know, I have a sick fettish. Its a cess pool, but I cant resist).

Every coach and GM talks about building a team through the draft from the ground up. And how that takes time. And thats the way to do it right.

Pete and John have built a team from the ground up. They have constantly gotten better while staying young. They won the superbowl last year with the youngest team ever. Even after losing a ton of free agents because of their success, they still managed to get the #1 seed this year.

And yet neither has won either award ever. Sad. They’ve proven they have been the best, and yet get no respect for it.

Honestly though. This is becoming stupid at this point. And I got a little hyperbolic at the end. They do get respect. But they each deserve to win. They deserved it last year. And they definitely deserved it this year. What are your thoughts?

John and Pete consistently go about doing a GREAT job building this team and I think the fact that they work so well together works against them for things like coach/executive of the year. Each of them likely loses some votes because people give a lot of the credit to the other one, so by working so well together and bringing us this team, they have given so much credit to each other that they aren't receiving enough credit individually.

Also, a slight correction....our squad that won Super Bowl XLVIII was just slightly older than the '71 Dolphins and thus are the 2nd youngest team to win a Super Bowl (not that I'm complaining though)

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Nice that someone who hitched his horse to Carson Palmer and Andre Ellington, then watched his team collapse because of it, gets kudos. That doesn't strike me as wrong at all.

TriCHawk

Reaction score
I think one sure way to get GM of the year is to tank your season and draft a really good can't-miss QB.... cough cough... Colts... cough cough

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
TriCHawk":1wkwus2m said:
I think one sure way to get GM of the year is to tank your season and draft a really good can't-miss QB.... cough cough... Colts... cough cough

And whats funny, all you need to do to get GM of the year is sign an aging Peyton Manning.

bigDhawk

Reaction score
PCJS won Super Bowl XLVIII in the fourth season of their administration in Seattle with only four players on the 53-man roster from before they arrived in 2010. The other 49 players on that championship team were all acquired and developed by PJCS. Yet at no point during those four years do they get credit for building a Super Bowl winner literally out of thin air? It boggles the mind.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
bigDhawk":3o9pa71m said:
PCJS won Super Bowl XLVIII in the fourth season of their administration in Seattle with only four players on the 53-man roster from before they arrived in 2010. The other 49 players on that championship team were all acquired and developed by PJCS. Yet at no point during those four years do they get credit for building a Super Bowl winner literally out of thin air? It boggles the mind.
As the guy in your avatar said: "yeah".

Good post man.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
PC/JS already have the only award that really matters, and they are looking like a pretty good lock to get that award for the second year in a row.

In a word. Sublime.

-bsd RPA

Faust

Reaction score
Pete will win COTY and John will win EOTY next year. After winning this Super Bowl and landing the number one seed next year.

Erebus

Reaction score
There are two honors/awards that really matter: Super Bowl championships and the Hall of Fame. If we sustain this dynasty, John will go into the Hall of Fame.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
As I say every year with these worthless awards - the only objective coach/exec of the year award is the Super Bowl. Everyone can have all the awards they want as long as we keep winning Super Bowls.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder if the media wants us to become the greatest storied franchise in the history of the NFL with the way they keep disrespecting Seahawks players and personnel. Everyone around our team thrives on being dissed/overlooked.

No coach of the year or executive of the year for Pete & John to date...SMH.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
TriCHawk":1jl83wui said:
No.

The guy you accuse of tanking in Indy lost his job. So did the head coach. In other words, tanking derails your career, at least for a while.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
volsunghawk":h84xylji said:
TriCHawk":h84xylji said:
No.

The guy you accuse of tanking in Indy lost his job. So did the head coach. In other words, tanking derails your career, at least for a while.
It's awfully suspicious that the Colts lost horrifically after winning seasons enough to get the #1 overall pick just after Irsay took over the Colts to draft Peyton in the late 90s, and then when they needed another franchise QB, the same exact thing happened.

Do you disagree with the general statement I just made?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3lv24fuv said:
TriCHawk":3lv24fuv said:
No.

Even if you're like Caldwell and get back to the NFL as the Lions HC wherein you have immediate success, some people will also always remember you as the cardboard cutout who stood on the sideline and watched, silently, sadly, off into the distance.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1yj4234k said:
volsunghawk":1yj4234k said:
TriCHawk":1yj4234k said:
No.

It's awfully suspicious that the Colts lost horrifically after winning seasons enough to get the #1 overall pick just after Irsay took over the Colts to draft Peyton in the late 90s, and then when they needed another franchise QB, the same exact thing happened.

Do you disagree with the general statement I just made?

Yes, I absolutely disagree with it. I can't speak specifically to the 1997 season that allowed the Colts to draft Manning, but I know they were a deeply flawed team that found a way to overachieve and make noise in the postseason for a couple of years prior to that (they were essentially a .500 level team). We've seen .500 level teams fall off and crash hard before (2008, anyone?), so I don't see that as an indication of nefarious intent.

As for 2011, the tanking idea is ludicrous. First off, that entire losing your job thing. It happened in 1997 with Lindy Infante being fired and Jim Mora taking over. It was clear that the team had no problem shitcanning coaches/executives if the performance on the field was poor. But the bigger argument against it being a tank job is that there is a very clear and obvious explanation that doesn't require a conspiracy...

Tell me what happens when you spend a decade building a team around one player's skills and talent, and then that player is no longer able to play? When your offense and scheme are wholly reliant on a HoF caliber QB... when your defense is not built to stop an opponent, but instead to capitalize on mistakes made when the opponent is trying to erase a 14-point deficit that your HoF caliber QB put them in... That Colts team was so tailored to what Peyton brought to the table and what he could do that they were completely useless without him. He was not only the engine that made that team run, he was the driver of the vehicle. They lost not only their primary talent at the most important position on the team (made even more important by how the team was constructed around him), but they lost their leadership. I know people suggest that the choices for backup QB/emergency signings were evidence of a tank job, but I don't see how any QB that was available at that time had any chance of filling Manning's shoes on that team. Just wasn't going to happen.

It wasn't a tank job... it was putting all of your eggs into one big-foreheaded basket, and then having the bottom of the basket fall out.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Knowing for a fact that there have been fixed events in a variety of professional sports in the past indicates that it's possible for it to happen in football. I don't see how that's irrelevant.