You don't really see a lot of quarterbacks of his skin color

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
stack

stack

Reaction score
I agree, it is wrong on so many levels, I am actually surprised journalists would chose to quote him on such a retarded comment.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Rodgers plays guitar and co-owns a record company. I thought the comment was funny. Hopefully it doesn't turn into "one of those" threads.

frosted21

Reaction score
Yikes. Wonder what the backlash to this will be..what would happen if Clay Matthews were to say (about Wilson): 'You don't see many QBs of his skin color with (insert whatever) like that'

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Calm down, people. Saying white guys don't have rhythm or soul or can't dance is a pretty tame joke all things considering. Not every joke that mentions race is "racist." He wasn't being serious.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Earl clearly never saw this...

[youtube]GNmq_qk2fps[/youtube]

As far as the comment goes, he's right! People need to lighten up and stop being so soft now a days. Everybody knows what he really meant, but people now have to put some sort of racial slant on everything, rather than just laughing at what amounts as a joke. It's a joke. Earl Thomas is messing around. Nothing to see here folks. There's real racism going on all over this world, and NONE OF IT has anything to do with Earl Thomas' comments about Rodgers having soul for a white dude.

Earl keeps it real, and speaks from his inner voice. His inner voice, as he's said, is NEVER wrong.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
NYCoug":2say82ou said:
Earl clearly never saw this...

[youtube]GNmq_qk2fps[/youtube]

As far as the comment goes, he's right! People need to lighten up and stop being so soft now a days. Everybody knows what he really meant, but people now have to put some sort of racial slant on everything, rather than just laughing at what amounts as a joke. It's a joke. Earl Thomas is messing around. Nothing to see here folks. There's real racism going on all over this world, and NONE OF IT has anything to do with Earl Thomas' comments about Rodgers having soul for a white dude.

Earl keeps it real, and speaks from his inner voice. His inner voice, as he's said, is NEVER wrong.

:13:

The joke drew a pretty big laugh during his press conference . . . and just about every reporter in that room is a white man.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I read this, I thought some turd stirrer might bring it up.

My interpretation:

Can you imagine Brady, Luck, Pey Pey, Flacco, Ryan, Brees, Romo, Big Ben, Cutler, Carr, Stafford, Rivers, Tannehill, Smith, Dalton, Bortles, Hill/Bradford/Austin, McCown/Glennon or Palmer dancing to something like this...

[youtube]QE5D2hJhacU[/youtube]

Nope. Every single one of them looks like a dork, they were probably the kids sliding on their knees at school discos.

Aaron Rodgers on the other hand seems like that guy that didn't care for holes in the knees of his flares, he probably broke it down with all his best girl friends.

ballhawks12

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3piu83cj said:
Calm down, people. Saying white guys don't have rhythm or soul or can't dance is a pretty tame joke all things considering. Not every joke that mentions race is "racist." He wasn't being serious.

It just takes awhile for white guys to get rhythm, but we eventually do. Just look at Navin Johnson. :lol:
[youtube]l6AlQgq9MRE[/youtube]

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Laloosh":3erb9ce0 said:
Is it over reaction Friday?

seriously, the comments in that thread on ESPN (almost exclusively from the Midwest) is just so over the top.

man people suck on the internet

hawknation2015

Reaction score
seaky12":z0z85dxz said:
hawknation2015":z0z85dxz said:

It just takes awhile for white guys to get rhythm, but we eventually do. Just look at Navin Johnson. :lol:
[youtube]l6AlQgq9MRE[/youtube]

LOL

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
hawknation2015 said:
Calm down, people. Saying white guys don't have rhythm or soul or can't dance is a pretty tame joke all things considering. Not every joke that mentions race is "racist." He wasn't being them wasn'quote]
Except that EVERY joke that involves the blacks is deemed racist and off-limits while most jokes about white people are deemed "tame". If every joke that involves race was treated equally I would be fine, but generally the rule is that you can never say anything "bad" about black people but you can say whatever you want about white people.

I don't think that jokes about black people having big lips or loving fried chicken or not being able to swim are even 1% worse than jokes about white people having no rhythm or not being able to jump. I consider them equal, but society treats one like its a hate crime while the other gets ignored.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Laloosh":2zy5k6zn said:
The people who are bothered are probably less bothered by the actual comment, and more bothered by the double-standard where blacks can say whatever they want about white people but white people can't say anything about blacks.

White men can't jump? Oh thats funny
Black people can't swim? Oh thats just racist.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":331kkgrs said:
hawknation2015":331kkgrs said:
Calm down, people. Saying white guys don't have rhythm or soul or can't dance is a pretty tame joke all things considering. Not every joke that mentions race is "racist." He wasn't being serious
Except that EVERY joke that involves the blacks is deemed racist and off-limits while most jokes about white people are deemed "tame". If every joke that involves race was treated equally I would be fine, but generally the rule is that you can never say anything "bad" about black people but you can say whatever you want about white people.

I don't think that jokes about black people having big lips or loving fried chicken or not being able to swim are even 1% worse than jokes about white people having no rhythm or not being able to jump. I consider them equal, but society treats one like its a hate crime while the other gets ignored.

They're not viewed as equal by some people because the history of discrimination is not equal. About 200 years of slavery, 100 years of Jim Crow, and a current cycle of poverty and education inequality makes for a significant difference.

But it's all about intent anyway. If someone jokes that Russell Wilson is not as good at basketball as a lot of athletes of his skin color, people shouldn't be offended by it. A lot of humor is based on generalizations -- a mix of reality and the absurd.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Earl gave something for oppressed Butthurt white folks of America to get upset over. They should thank him.

endzorn

Reaction score
Racism at its most vile and disgusting level. It reminds me of the time I was in a sidewalk cafe in Chicago and a women wanted me to help her figure out who took her purse. Just because I'm a ruggedly handsome, tall white man with a beautiful mustache and I have a black friend who flies a helicopter does not mean I solve crimes.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3pj62ehc said:
Laloosh":3pj62ehc said:
The people who are bothered are probably less bothered by the actual comment, and more bothered by the double-standard where blacks can say whatever they want about white people but white people can't say anything about blacks.

White men can't jump? Oh thats funny
Black people can't swim? Oh thats just racist.

That's an interesting analogy. I don't know if many people would be offended by a joke about black people not being able to swim, even though the reason for this has its origins in slavery and segregation. It would probably depend on the perceived intent of the joke. Was the intent to marginalize someone or just to make people laugh at a generalized observation?

Status
Not open for further replies.