Marshawn Lynch and Robert Turbin last week

tom sawyer

Reaction score
First, it seemed like any way, early on we pounding ML up the middle, which as we learned (and is often the case) they smother him and hold him to 0-short YDS. Then Turbin had some success, then back to ML and more success.

So my questions is..

A, Does ML need a bit of "warm up time" getting hammered to him going" (I seem to recall this tactic used with success in other games)

B, Does Turbins style fit better with some defensive approaches that ML style doesn't? It seems that it's almost (almost) a matter of speed or power (and CM has speed but has less experience and fumble tendancies).

Discuss please.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
I think a combo of both, Everyone says tackling the beast drains D,,,, and thats true. But also just our commitment to the run drains the D. Cause you have our line flying off the ball in run blocking which lets them put it on the dline.

So turbo is a change of pace,,,, and it allows the beast to rest, but in all reality, I think its just our committment to the run makes lynch harder to tackle later in the game.

OP
OP
tom sawyer

tom sawyer

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3pcpkgcv said:
I think a combo of both, Everyone says tackling the beast drains D,,,, and thats true. But also just our commitment to the run drains the D. Cause you have our line flying off the ball in run blocking which lets them put it on the dline.

So turbo is a change of pace,,,, and it allows the beast to rest, but in all reality, I think its just our committment to the run makes lynch harder to tackle later in the game.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

rjdriver

Reaction score
What I did notice is that Turbin seemed to be way more aggressive post contact last week and much harder to bring down. I enjoyed his increased role knowing that Beast would be fresher in the fourth quarter.

ManBunts

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1v78hm9a said:

Yup. Lynch as something like the most yards in the 3rd quarter of any RB I think? He's definitely a warmup guy.

Additionally, sometimes the Beast doesn't need to run to be the most effective. Just have him out there and they HAVE to put 8 in the box. They can't risk him getting loose in the open field, because there isn't a DB out there (that's not on our team) that can take him down. Which frees up our WRs for single coverage routes. This is why have a great RB is so pivotal. It creates opportunities everywhere.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Specifically for last week, I think they said Lynch was sick. It took him a bit to get warmed up.

When Turbin was in, he was hitting the holes much faster and getting through the line more explosively. He was also running dudes over; he doesn't have the wiggle Lynch does and doesn't always get by guys, but he is almost always running the first guy over and getting an extra 2 yards.

Lynch is definately a 2nd half RB this year. Look at all the big runs and the majority is in the 2nd half (which isn't all that unusual, but proportionately, he has more in the 2nd half than a guy like Demarco Murray). I think he's lost a step, or maybe a half a step, and he seems to be more effective when the defense slows down in the 2nd half.

I haven't seen a big enough sample size of Michael to know for sure how effective he is, but Turbin seems to be a better runner this year.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Maybe I'm simplifying it a little, but it seems to me that Turbin hits the hole so much faster or perhaps he just see's the hole develop a little quicker.

razgriz737

Reaction score
^^I was just gonna say if there's one thing Turbin does really well, it's that he hits the hole very fast. I suspect that has something to do with it.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
As far a Lynch being a 2nd half runner this year...

What I've noticed is that as soon as Russell starts to run as a set play, all of a sudden Lynch has holes. Not only does Lynch have holes to run through, but the receivers are now getting separation.

What annoys me is why, Russell doesn't make a concerted effort during the early part of the game to make a few running plays to set a pattern for the rest of the game.

I suspect he doesn't run early as he'd really like to have Lynch run and the receivers get separation without him committing to the run.

Smellyman

Reaction score
I like it when RW runs a couple of early too. Loosen up that D early.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. Carolina did a pretty solid job against RW and his running, compared to other teams. GB isn't close to where Carolina is on D.

irocdave

Reaction score
Since I have been watching the NFL, the great backs start slowly and wear down defenses. I think PC has limited the touches Lynch gets in the first half much more this year (not a fact, just my perspective) and he gets more touches in the 2nd along with more running plays for RW. Turbin has looked great the last couple of weeks, no indecision and hits the hole hard while anticipating contact. He had a little SA in him the last couple of years, it now looks like he is ready to be a complete back. Lynch is Lynch, when he is the game teams know he's getting the ball and crowd the LOS and are prepared to take him down at or behind the LOS. He still gets the yards and has the shiftiness and speed to take it to the house, I don't see a drop off with him yet.

Softy had Michael Irvin on tonight and MI mentioned he had just interviewed Kam. Ha had lots of great things to say about Kam BTW...Softy asked him if he had heard about Lynches cleats he was going to wear Sunday. He Hadn't. Softy said Lynch had his cleats sprayed with 24K gold paint. MI laughed his ass off and said something along the lines of " Well, you go and do that your know it aint for no show, Beast Quake 3 going to happen Sunday!".

Look for a big game from Lynch Sunday.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
The great ones just need their carries. Payton was that way. Emit Smith, hell even Barry Sanders would seem to have 8 carries for minus 3 in the first half.

The only ones I don't remember having to wait to take over were Faulk because he would be a receiver and just remember that offense and Dickerson and Bo Jackson.

Our offense is designed (see wideout screens) to pound early, let the D keep it close and then adjust and overwhelm.

And nobody is more fun to watch than Lynch.

chet380

Reaction score
I'd like to see CM put in for a pass play with him matched up with a LB ... they did it before and he was by the LB in what seemed like an instant but RW overthrew him in the endzone.