The onside kick

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Boy I am tired of hearing all the blame heaped on Bostick.

You know, Packers, you could have, oh I don't know, kept Seattle out of the endzone after the kick or in OT and you might have won. Championship teams don't let one flub sink them.

It's totally unfair to make this guy the goat when the whole Packers D had two chances to stop Seattle and failed.

OK, had to get that off my chest.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Yeah, it is unfair to make him the goat. But I guess that's happening because most of the other failures were due to the team as a whole (so really it should be directed at the coaches).

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I agree...there's always a scapegoat and in this case Bostick is it. Yeah he made a mistake but the Packer defense is more to blame for the loss than Bostick. Bostick didn't give up 2 TDs in 5 minutes.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
The Outfield":29l6ybte said:
Yeah, it is unfair to make him the goat. But I guess that's happening because most of the other failures were due to the team as a whole (so really it should be directed at the coaches).

But what about the bus drivers?? They are the ones responsible for getting them to the Clink in time....it is all their fault. :sarcasm_off:

WendellWent

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":xyjdbeh5 said:
The way they talk about it, he's some kind of lineman with seven missing fingers. He's a tight end. You know, the position that goes out and catches passes as part of the job description.

To be fair, he is a blocking TE, and his assignment was to block on that play. For some unknown reason, he decided to forego his responsibility and attempted to recover the kick. I am grateful he did.

taco40

Reaction score
Reaneypark":1g495vob said:
Boy I am tired of hearing all the blame heaped on Bostick.

You know, Packers, you could have, oh I don't know, kept Seattle out of the endzone after the kick or in OT and you might have won. Championship teams don't let one flub sink them.

It's totally unfair to make this guy the goat when the whole Packers D had two chances to stop Seattle and failed.

OK, had to get that off my chest.

Yup, as I recall, their team was still in the lead at that time. And he had nothing to do with allowing a TD scored in four plays covering 50 yards in 40 SECONDS.

I also detest it when folks blame a missed FG kicker at the end of the game for losing when the rest of the team couldn't finish the deal.

Finish.

That has a nice ring to it.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
WendellWent":31easn97 said:
Seahawk Sailor":31easn97 said:
The way they talk about it, he's some kind of lineman with seven missing fingers. He's a tight end. You know, the position that goes out and catches passes as part of the job description.

To be fair, he is a blocking TE, and his assignment was to block on that play. For some unknown reason, he decided to forego his responsibility and attempted to recover the kick. I am grateful he did.

True, but he's still a tight end. And the ball pops right to him, I don't know very many people who wouldn't try to catch it. It's right there in front of you, game on the line, and it's over if you catch it. If he'd caught it, nobody would have said a thing and we wouldn't even know he was supposed to block on the play. Odds of the onside kick say he makes that catch more times than he doesn't.

"Those onside kicks are really hard to grab" - Golden Tate (probably)

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Remember in last year's playoffs when Golden Tate dropped the onside kick and the Saints got the ball?

Oh yeah, no one talks about it because the Seahawks Defense stopped them.

Great point, OP.

OP
OP
Reaneypark

Reaneypark

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1ziq5uwm said:
Remember in last year's playoffs when Golden Tate dropped the onside kick and the Saints got the ball?

Great point, OP.

I was going to mention that, but to be fair, the Saints had just a few seconds to work with and no TOs.

irocdave

Reaction score
Losses can always be shared by all players / coaches, it's rare when one guy can be singled out. This is the latter. Dude was supposed to block, not touch the ball. If he didn't try and catch it is there any doubt Nelson grabs it? We will never know. Hawks got lucky in this game and that was the luckiest play of the game the Hawks had ZERO control over other than to put more pressure on the Pack. The Hawks excelled under pressure, the Pack imploded.

The Hawks played their worst game in 3 years on offense and won. I don't see the same Hawk performance happening in two weeks. Pats are going to have their hands full and their fans will be questioning their team like every fan does when playing the Hawks. Hawks got lucky but they also made their own luck by not quitting when the odds seemed insurmountable.

I watched Peyton Manning QUIT in this years playoffs. Not going to happen with the Hawks, neither is the ineptitude of RW and Kearse for almost 60 minutes.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Reaneypark":1f299hc8 said:
HawkFan72":1f299hc8 said:

Great point, OP.

I was going to mention that, but to be fair, the Saints had just a few seconds to work with and no TOs.

That didn't stop the Falcons from destroying our D in the NFC Divisional game. I was biting my fingers off when the Saints got that ball. They were making quite a comeback in that game and it was a little too close for comfort.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Reaneypark":jr6srtfx said:
HawkFan72":jr6srtfx said:

Great point, OP.

Saints got the ball on their last touchdown drive in that game with 2:40 left on the clock. They ran it down to :26 seconds before they punched it in. They recovered the onside kick with no time off the clock and had :26 seconds to work with after the recovery. Time taken on the drives: first drive 2:14, second drive :26, total time: 2:40. The Saints had zero timeouts left plus the two-minute warning, as they'd burned their last one on a challenge a couple of plays prior.

By contrast, the Seahawks on Sunday got the ball on their comeback drive with 3:52 left on the clock. They scored at 2:09. The onside kick was recovered with 2:07 left. Four plays later at 1:25 they were in the end zone again. Time taken on the drives: first drive 1:43, second drive :42, total time: 2:27. We had one timeout left plus the two-minute warning, and did not use the timeout.

So yes, while the Saints got the ball back with only 26 seconds left on their second possession there, they'd taken more time than we took to punch it in on the first drive. And our second drive was only 16 seconds longer than the time they had left on the clock for theirs. They couldn't get it done; we did it.

Seafan

Reaction score
Erin was 21% on 3rd down so it certainly wasn't his fault he had a sore calf don't you know.

Hawk-A-Loogie

Reaction score
I feel bad for the dude. BUT...

He knew his assignment. He was assigned to block but instead he went up to grab the ball. Was it his fault? I would say so.
Great for us indeed but for whatever reason he didn't take care of his assignment. It was their defense that let us come back, yes, but recovering the onside kick to end the game or lower the comeback percentage was bigger reason imo.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Hawk-A-Loogie":2g36l9by said:
I feel bad for the dude. BUT...

He knew his assignment. He was assigned to block but instead he went up to grab the ball. Was it his fault? I would say so.
Great for us indeed but for whatever reason he didn't take care of his assignment. It was their defense that let us come back, yes, but recovering the onside kick to end the game or lower the comeback percentage was bigger reason imo.

Yeah but it's gotta be hard when the game is on the line and the ball is going right toward you. If you let it go, a player from the other team may be right behind you to catch it. It's sort of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. However, he wouldn't have gotten anywhere near as much backlash if he let it go and we got it anyway.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Yeah, but everyone has an assignment on every play. Who blew their assignment on the Lynch 24 yard run

Do you think Jordy Nelson would have 100% caught the ball? It's wet, it's loud, and there's 250lb men running at you full speed. I bet Jordy only catches it clean 8/10 times, Bostick probably 6/10. He made a mistake, but his coach really threw him under he bus.

How bad is the coaching and offense when you only turn get 6 points off of five turnovers. There always has to be a scapegoat, but I really feel bad for the guy. He was trying to make a play and he made a mistake.