Belichick compares Wilson to Staubach

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I can't really put it into words. Wilson's just got an instinctiveness. He just knows where people are," Belichick said. "It looks like he's going to get tackled and he doesn't. It kind of reminds of watching Staubach. You think he doesn't see them, but he sees them or somehow he just knows they're there."

"He's got an uncanny sense of awareness of what's around him -- good or bad. I can't really define it. I don't know how you coach it; it’s just an awareness that all great players have it. ... I think he just has it at a higher level. It's really impressive.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... r-staubach

I've only seen cutups, but I like the comparison from one of (if not) the most clutch QB in history to the most clutch QB playing the game right now.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":3hxrqsvl said:
I can't really put it into words. Wilson's just got an instinctiveness. He just knows where people are," Belichick said. "It looks like he's going to get tackled and he doesn't. It kind of reminds of watching Staubach. You think he doesn't see them, but he sees them or somehow he just knows they're there."

"He's got an uncanny sense of awareness of what's around him -- good or bad. I can't really define it. I don't know how you coach it; it’s just an awareness that all great players have it. ... I think he just has it at a higher level. It's really impressive.

I've only seen cutups, but I like the comparison from one of (if not) the most clutch QB in history to the most clutch QB playing the game right now.

Belichick would know, I just watched the FOOTBALL LIFE- ROGER STAUBACH,, Evidently Belichick was the coaches son of one of the teams that Stauback was apart of -- Maybe the Navy team? I just remember seeing him in that documentary. That's a huge compliment to Russell.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Belichick heaping all this praise on Seattle makes me worry that someone is going to Nancy Karrogan, Russell. Get that kid a bodyguard.

djb28

Reaction score
That's right Bill. He can also throw a tight spiral with only 10 pounds of air in the ball.

minormillikin

Reaction score
Laloosh":d31p4ixr said:
Belichick heaping all this praise on Seattle makes me worry that someone is going to Nancy Karrogan, Russell. Get that kid a bodyguard.

With Aaron Hernandez in jail, I think we'll be OK.

themunn

Reaction score
djb28":1gqzh66x said:
That's right Bill. He can also throw a tight spiral with only 10 pounds of air in the ball.

I guess you mean 10 PSI and not 10 lbs of air, otherwise those are pretty heavy footballs!

HeatEquation

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":27mqtnw7 said:

Most clutch QBs playing the game right now in order:

Brady
Flacco
Wilson

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HeatEquation":1f0xxgcz said:
SomersetHawk":1f0xxgcz said:

Most clutch QBs playing the game right now in order:

Brady
Flacco
Wilson

I'd put Wilson ahead of Flacco for the fact that Flacco seems to only want to be clutch in the playoffs. During the regular season he seems content to be average.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Great comparison.

Roger the Dodger wasn't called that for no good reason.

McGruff

Reaction score
Reaneypark":1i4lvf4a said:
I think that is a very good comparison.

Its one I've often thought of. Tark and Staubach, but especially Staubach, who was a better passer.

McGruff

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":34moxyh3 said:
He's better than Staubach--he's Joe Montana.

I don't see it. Joe could run, but not nearly to the extent that Russ can. Joe made his money by being the most intelligent and technically sound passer of his generation. But he wasn't physically gifted like Russ.

And Russ still isn't nearly as accurate with the ball as Joe was, nor is he as surgical in his reads.