NFL players and ball security...?

Swedishhawkfan

Reaction score
Baldwinns fumble, and the way marshawn (and almost every other player in the league) runs with the ball got me thinking about this again.

Everyone in here that has played football themselves know that most NFL players have HORRIBLY sloppy ball carrying technique!! You are supposed to keep the tips of the ball jammed between your hand and your biceps when running full speed, and cover it up with both hands in traffic.

Now, since I was more of a Doug Baldwinn type for my team and not some super fast athletich freak, I do not know if carrying the ball correctly makes it tricky to be super freaky athletic, but atleast i could run full speed. Everyone of you who has a regulation size football near you at home, try holding it like NFL players do (with one hand on the ball, awkwardly jamming the ball towards a free pendulum forearm)

picture example:

Shady12 11jpg 1d8346a8ff30d3b7

Not very relaxing either, since the hand almost cramping up from not having any support from the arm "pinch". How anyone can run full speed like this and not drop the ball from just moving the arms is a mystery.

Every football coach teaches you to hold the ball like this:

51173-brandon-jacobs.jpg

Seriously how is it POSSIBLE that the majority of the leagues players get away with holding the ball like clowns? And WHY do they hold it like this, when it is super uncomfortable?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Marshawn Lynch almost always runs with the ball high and tight. Brandon Jacobs is actually holding the ball a little low in your example. 90% of the time, Lynch is the prototype for how to carry the football.

Lynch.jpg