Has anyone noticed anyone picking up Jordan Hill's slack?

Beer Hawk

Reaction score
Because I haven't, but I'm not a big x's and o's guy so I dont know if it's just a result of scheme or something more. Was wondering if some of the more knowledgeable posters could fill me in.

Thinking that pressure up the middle is going to be key next Sunday and I'd sleep a lot easier knowing this aspect of our D wasn't as absent as it looked against GB

HawkFan72

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":37rts9hm said:
Nope, there is zero pressure up the middle ... which is why the Seahawks were unable to shut Green Bay down despite Rodger's bad calf.

Please tell me how the Green Bay Offense dominated us. I would really like to hear why you think that. Because if you look at the numbers, our D did great. Green Bay didn't get in the endzone after the first quarter. They didn't get into the red zone in the 2nd half.

If that's not shutting them down, I don't know what you expect.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":4seallt8 said:
Nope, there is zero pressure up the middle ... which is why the Seahawks were unable to shut Green Bay down despite Rodger's bad calf.

Fun fact: The Packers had as many yards on Sunday as the Broncos did in Super Bowl 48.

5 turnovers made that game what it was.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Demarcus Dobbs took all the snaps Hill would normally take (33 -- mostly in the nickel package). Dobbs did not have much of an impact that I could see, which probably means he is still slowed by his ankle injury.

Landon Cohen played 14 snaps, which is about the same number Dobbs would take when Hill was still playing. Cohen looked a little more explosive than Dobbs. They might want to consider upping Cohen's snaps in the Super Bowl. We really need to get inside pressure against the Patriots, exploiting their biggest team weakness.

Reen Shot 2015 01 19 at 81445 PM1 e1421736134218

King Dog

Reaction score
I didn't watch replays of the game or anything, but it seemed like Irvin wasn't out there for a lot of pass rushing downs. Instead I saw Bennett and Avril outside (on opposite sides) on passing downs (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong as I was drunk and only watched live action). Any chance we slide Bennett inside and put Avril and Irvin outside on the majority of passing downs against the Patriots? Was really hoping Dobbs would step up.

mrblitz

Reaction score
gotta scheme to get irvin on the field for all 3 downs.

one thing they can do is have 51 help out with covering gronk some of the time.

also, maybe have irvin at dt on 3rd and long... or at least stunt off of the de position and go up the middle.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
One creative thing they were doing earlier in the season was lining up Schofield over center. They have to mix it up to fully exploit the soft interior of that offensive line.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I watched for interior pressure on most of the game replay. At a glance I wouldn't say it was non-existant. More like slow in developing. Nether edge or interior was consistently good enough to effect much of what Rogers did. Different O-line, maybe different story?
Isn't Brady one of the QBs who actually does better against the blitz?
Creativity will be the key to interior pressure.

Tical21

Reaction score
Irvin was out there a bunch, but the Pack just didn't face that many 3rd and long situations it seemed to me.

hawk79

Reaction score
I was thinking about this tonight. I am really worried about the lack of pass rush during the play offs. Cam sucks, Rodgers was hurt and the Packers play calling wasn't all that good. Pat have a health, elite QB and they play the game the way we do.....stomp on your neck and smear your face in the dirt till you bleed to death. If we don't get pressure on Brady, especially up the middle, I think Brady carves us up. I have a feeling there are some things on our defense that may start getting exposed against the Patriots.

bigDhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1iqao5f4 said:
The_Z_Man":1iqao5f4 said:

Please tell me how the Green Bay Offense dominated us. I would really like to hear why you think that. Because if you look at the numbers, our D did great. Green Bay didn't get in the endzone after the first quarter. They didn't get into the red zone in the 2nd half.

If that's not shutting them down, I don't know what you expect.

I attribute most of the success GB had on offense to the field position we handed them with the turnovers, often already in FG range. I would definitely not characterize it as dominance.

Soppie

Reaction score
Remember Hill was essentially Mebane's back up. With Dobbs and Cohen they are essentially 3rd and 4th string. You cannot expect mush, and any output out of them would be great.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
we had an off game against the packers for 55 minutes.

It won't happen again.

superdeluxe

Reaction score
Out of all the injuries over the last few weeks, Hill has been the biggest. Both the Panthers and Packers were carving out huge runs up the gut. That has been our biggest weakness.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
superdeluxe":3s4mkwfz said:
Out of all the injuries over the last few weeks, Hill has been the biggest. Both the Panthers and Packers were carving out huge runs up the gut. That has been our biggest weakness.

Hill's biggest weakness is his run stopping. Granted he made big improvements in that area over the course of the season. However, the reason he was on the field in the nickel package was because of his interior pass rushing ability. First and foremost, that's what they're trying to get out of Dobbs and Cohen.

Since Mebane went down, Kevin Williams has done an admirable job at NT against the run.