Hypothetical question

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Imagine if Pete and John never got hired by Seattle, and Pete is still at USC, continuing his dominance of college football. imagine if all their current players on the roster did not make it, but made every other roster in the league. How much more competitive would the league be now with some teams having great defensive players such as Thomas and Chancellor and and one team having a QB such as Russell Wilson?

Imagine if every player on the Seahawks' roster lived up to their potential on other teams. Would the league be returning to a defensive mindset in general? Sure the Seahawks's past 5 years would have been re-written, but would most people be saying how much better some defensive teams are playing?

It's a hypothetical question, but it's something to think about, and I just wanted to hear other people's opinion.

Brahn

Reaction score
Chancellor was an undersized Linebacker in the 5th round. Not many teams would of given him a real shot.

Russel was a 3rd round QB past over by every team roughly 2 times. (Name a 3rd round QB given a shot early, add in the fact he was sitting behind a highly paid FAQB 31 other teams would of started Flynn )

Thomas was a ball hawk Safety who gave up way to many plays his rookie year and could of been Mark Baron on a different team.

This team is built on the foundations of philosophy and coaching, and players holding other players accountable. Remove Carrol and JS and we have who knows what.

We have great position coaches who get the most out of their players with the always compete mantra.

I have a feeling many of the stars on the Hawks would never be heard of on other teams.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Earl would have been a shining star on any other team.

Russell would be an established starter by now on any other team except GB, NE, Denver, Dallas, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Baltimore, New Orleans and Atlanta.

Sherm would be a Pro Bowler on any other team.

Kam on any other team may have been not much more than a great special teams player.

And to the OP's question, I don't think so. Seattle has been living proof that defenses win championships and building a young, fast defense is the shortest path to respectability in the NFL. Just look at all the defense-minded new HCs that were recently hired. That is a clear testament to Pete Carroll and will be Pete's long lasting legacy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":124g6ovw said:
Earl would have been a shining star on any other team.

Russell would be an established starter by now on any other team except GB, NE, Denver, Dallas, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Baltimore, New Orleans and Atlanta.

Sherm would be a Pro Bowler on any other team.

Kam on any other team may have been not much more than a great special teams player..

I can only agree with certainty about Earl, he'd step right into any free safety spot on any roster and be the best player on that defense.

Not so sure about guys like Russell, Kam, Sherm or many other players..............including even amazing players like Marshawn.

The beauty of Pete is he gave all these guys chances with his always compete I don't care who you are philosophy. If our guys got drafted by close minded teams (which most are), they might be rotting on the bench never given a chance to shine. On top of that guys like Marshawn going to a hard ass team that didn't let him be himself? He might be retired because he was tired of people telling him what to do (like in Buffalo).

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
I think you have to add one more "what if" to make it complete, and that's when Paul Allen bought the team. That is when this whole transition into what we have today began. If not for Allen, and all the wise moves he made building that team, they would probably be playing in Los Angeles.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
If my aunt had a **** she would be my uncle.

Unless of course, she was a hermaphrodite. Things get a little murkier then. It would all depend on which bathroom he/she chose to use.

daveca5150

Reaction score
I think our players fit into the roles they've been given and coached up to. Though I agree that some, ET and RW especially, would be impact players on any team. I don't think all of our stars reach this level of success in other situations. I certainly don't believe that our defense, spread out across the league, would somehow bring more parity across the board.

*erased for being obvious* :D