Seahawks expand CenturyLink by 1,000 seats for next season

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2025538542_seahawksstadiumexpansion25xml.html

In the first significant expansion in the history of CenturyLink Field, the Seahawks are planning to add 1,000 seats in the upper level of the south end zone in time for the 2015 season, The Seattle Times has learned.

The expansion, which will be paid for by the Seahawks and cost an estimated $5 million to $6 million, is the centerpiece of a project that will be called the Toyota Fan Deck, according to sources with knowledge of the project.

The 1,000 padded seats will be sold as season tickets but won’t come close to satisfying the NFL team’s long waiting list. The seats will be in two new sections flanking the area where the 12th Man Flag resides, the sources said.

The project will include construction of a new 12 Flag Pavilion designed to enhance the experience of the raising of the flag, which is performed just before kickoff before every home Seahawks game, a tradition that dates to the 2003 season. The flag will be raised on the roof of the pavilion.

Super Bowl? :stirthepot:

chris98251

Reaction score
This puts us much closer to the seating needed for a Super Bowl host sight.

daveCFPrez

Reaction score
Not even close to the 11374 people ahead of me on the BP list.
*sad face *

hawknation2015

Reaction score
daveCFPrez":3mfzf73l said:
Not even close to the 11374 people ahead of me on the BP list.
*sad face *

You would be surprised. Only about 1/5 of those people ahead of you will actually have the money to accept. Good luck!

:th2thumbs:

Fudwamper

Reaction score
chris98251":38imgs78 said:
This puts us much closer to the seating needed for a Super Bowl host sight.

I hope not the last thing I would want is a SB in Seattle.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Why would someone not want a Super Bowl in Seattle? Yeah, let's not have an event that brings in millions and millions of dollars to the region. Um......

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2hm4chev said:
Why would someone not want a Super Bowl in Seattle? Yeah, let's not have an event that brings in millions and millions of dollars to the region. Um......
While I can appreciate why a SuperBowl would be most excellent for the local economy, on a personal level, I think that I'd be uncomfortable watching another team win anything, much less a SuperBowl at our house. We won't be in every SuperBowl ad infinitum. Of course...
...It could happen :th2thumbs:

Go Hawks,
BillA

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Bill Assumpcao":2w6rh0ci said:
SoulfishHawk":2w6rh0ci said:
While I can appreciate why a SuperBowl would be most excellent for the local economy, on a personal level, I think that I'd be uncomfortable watching another team win anything, much less a SuperBowl at our house. We won't be in every SuperBowl ad infinitum. Of course...
...It could happen :th2thumbs:

Go Hawks,
BillA
Being able to experience a SB in Seattle would be a great experience regardless of who is in it. Being in AZ I was shocked that I saw more Broncos and Steelers fans than Patriots fans walking around.

raisethe3

Reaction score
If only 1,000 seats are added, I don't see how CLINK can host the Super Bowl. As I mentioned in another thread, it needs at least 70,000? Maybe they're not in a rush to added all the seats now?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to be at Super Bowl this year as well. It's a great weekend, and to experience one here would be incredible. Of course, we could be the first team to win one in our own stadium. :thirishdrinkers:

seahawks08

Reaction score
I would love it to be here, the experience is awesome and I would love to have every fan here to experience it.

mikeak

Reaction score
1000 seats for $6million

$6,000 / seat

Yeah this will have a very quick ROI

Heck they are counting more money against the cap for Harvin next year than this. LOL

Hawks46

Reaction score
mikeak":mjlvtpyr said:
1000 seats for $6million

$6,000 / seat

Yeah this will have a very quick ROI

Heck they are counting more money against the cap for Harvin next year than this. LOL

It's going to be called the "Toyota Fan Deck". I'm betting they already have their ROI.

As for the Superbowl seating, University of Phoenix stadium is officially listed at 64,500 capacity, although the attendance was a few thousand more than that. Indianapolis also has far less than 70,000 capacity, so although it is listed as a prerequisite, it's not a deal killer with the NFL, evidently. The NFL also wants there to be enough infrastructure to handle the influx of people. Remember, the vast majority of people watching a Hawks game don't need a hotel room to go there. For a Superbowl, the vast majority would. So they require a certain amount of hotel rooms to be available, as well as some other infrastructure concerns (public transportation?) that I don't remember.

My first thought was: "sweet, it's going to be that much louder there" with another 1k seats. Honestly, they need around 72 to 73k in that stadium, and they would still sell it out quick.

mikeak

Reaction score
I think they achieve additional seats with temporary seating not is what Dallas tried to do but they didn't get fire inspection done in time and a ton of people got left without tickets

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Two years in a row where rain and bad winds from the south turn HFA into HF slopfest. Wilson always struggles in rainy,windy weather.

So I'm glad they're adding seats along the south to block the wind and rain. Even if it might be a small impact, it might be a big one. Interested to find out if it helps any on the field.

gulliver

Reaction score
I'm just excited about another 1,000 people making noise. 12th Man just got a little louder...