Collective Thoughts on Justin Britt

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
What are your insights and impressions of him and what growth can we expect for him in pass-protection? We can all agree has the potential to be a top tier run blocker in is future if not then above average.

Just one question: When is the last time a rookie started all 16 games for the Seahawks? My mind can't even begin to conjure up a name.

Exittium

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1uofur4p said:
What are your insights and impressions of him and what growth can we expect for him in pass-protection? We can all agree has the potential to be a top tier run blocker in is future if not then above average.

Just one question: When is the last time a rookie started all 16 games for the Seahawks? My mind can't even begin to conjure up a name.

I've been pleasantly happy with him. I know his pass block has been subpar it seems. But that's not our teams strength or focus. Its the run, and so with it being the run he's done one hell of a job.

jake206

Reaction score
He'll be fine. I think he's just gotta play his game. And Bevell's gotta just keep grinding out more running play calls.

Seafan

Reaction score
How much time does Britt give his QB? Is it less than league average. Perhaps RW holds onto the ball longer than average and just makes Britt look worse. Sacks aren't always just on the OL.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I meant to say last rookie Offensive Lineman to start all 16 Regular Season games

Bprez3

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":27s3zfwo said:
I meant to say last rookie Offensive Lineman to start all 16 Regular Season games

Steve Hutchinson

Mojambo

Reaction score
After watching Bailey on his ass for most of the NFCCG, I will welcome Britt back with open arms.

Exittium

Reaction score
Mojambo":1fqhfaw8 said:
After watching Bailey on his ass for most of the NFCCG, I will welcome Britt back with open arms.
yeah... bailey and carp both looked like turtles on their backs

peppersjap

Reaction score
Britt had his flaws this year but I think he had an above average rookie season. It is not like he was playing with a great unit all year, he was playing with a very mixed group because of injuries and I think he and maybe Sweezy were the only ones who played every game. I like the fact that he has always been doubted which means he has a chip on his shoulder like a lot of our players. He is a very big guy and not a big fatty, I really like his upside.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Britt is due for the best game of his short career. He will have had three weeks since his last game to fine tune some elements of his technique. That time off can be important for a rookie. He's been full-go over the last week of practices. Also, Rob Ninkovich is the type of DE Britt has typically been very successful against. Ninkovich doesn't possess a really quick first step and won't be able to overwhelm a player as strong as Britt. If Britt is successful in moving Ninkovich off the ball in the running game, it could be a long day for the Patriots defense.

Rob12

Reaction score
He's struggled mightily at times, but I think he has a bright future ahead of him.

He has to get better in pass pro.

Largent80

Reaction score
I think he gets a solid C+ factoring in pass and run blocking. Not easy facing guys coming off the edge, and next year he should be better with the experience. Remember Locklear?

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I would move him to LG next year if/when Carpenter walks in free agency. Britt is atrocious in pass protection, and doesn't have the feet or balance to succeed in that area on the edge. His run blocking and background on the left side at Missouri gives him a good foundation for success at LG as he continues to gain strength, particularly in the lower body. He can be protected in pass pro there, by the LT and C, and he certainly has the requisite athleticism to be a solid pulling guard who can get to the second level. I see him as middling OT prospect long term, but an above average OG prospect.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Honestly, I am kind of bullish on Britt.

What I see as his biggest issue, is assignment recognition. It just seems like he's still thinking out there instead of really reacting. And when he does mess up magnificently, it almost always appears to be the result of confusion about whom to block.

He actually looks pretty tough and resilient when he can get onto his man from the get go. I really do think it's just a measure of experience that will correct his play.

Speed rushers really seem to be his biggest liability. And I expect most of that is due to the quicker pace to the pass rush. I expect he is capable of playing to match that quicker pace, but it requires faster recognition and quicker reaction to pass rush techniques.

I think he'll be fine once the game slows down for him and he can play fast and loose. He's still hesitant and that's making him look foolish much of the time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think he's done really well for a rookie.

That's the thing about Pete and his staff, they don't just draft talent, they CREATE talent through being excellent teachers of the game. Preparation, technique, practice habits, competition, etc. etc. THIS is how you turn rookies into excellent lineman, and 5th rounders into all pro's.

I have no doubt Britt's on his way to being a very good cornerstone RT. Already a good run blocker, and another year in the system and his pass protection should improve dramatically.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I wouldn't say that he has been atrocious. He has done an admirable job as a rookie facing several of the top pass rushing defenses in the NFL, who have relentlessly keyed in on him with their best pass rushers. He has a big weakness against edge speed which we were able to somewhat mask when Miller was healthy. After Miller went to IR, we tried to help Britt out with Willson and co, but they can't block for ish. Lately we have just left him alone, knowing that he will get beaten around the edge on occasion. He has improved against edge speed over the course of the season, but it is a known weakness that teams are exploiting. I agree that long term he is better suited for guard, but right now he is our second best tackle, and that may not change next year.

In an ideal world I agree that we should let Carp walk, let Britt and Sweezy battle it out for the two guard positions, and bring in a stud right tackle. Physically, Carp is amazing, but mentally he still struggles and I don't predict much improvement in that area. However, our plans are going to be heavily influenced by who we can bring in in the offseason.

It is much easier to bring in a guard than a tackle, especially when your first pick is essentially the first pick of the second round. Potential starting tackles are going to be long gone before we get to pick (I think there are only two in this year's draft). Unless Isles or Renfrow are ready to step up, or we finagle a stellar free agent tackle (hahahahaha), we will struggle to find a better right tackle than Britt (sad as that is). In this scenario, I would try to keep Carp for one more year, leave the line intact, and draft a developmental tackle or two. If we let Carp go then we need to find a replacement guard who is ready to go and decide whether we want him between Okung and Unger or between Unger and Britt.

In other words, I don't expect a huge improvement or change in our average to slightly above average offensive line for next year unless Isles/ Renfrow is/are dark horses who crack the starting lineup (doubtful).

Another possibility is replacing Carp with Bailey. I think that Bailey is too valuable as a multi-position backup to do this. Especially when Okung is one of the guys he is backing up, but I suppose it might be possible to bring in a decent multi-position backup through the draft or free agency.

Our first priority, however, should be finding a guy to step in or groom as a replacement for Okung in another year or two. It is possible that we will have cap space to do this through free agency next year or the year after. Part of that plan could be finding a guy that we play at right tackle for a year or two then transition to the left side of the line. Hopefully, Britt isn't that guy because I think that we can all agree that he doesn't show starting left tackle potential.

- bsd

pehawk

Reaction score
Garrett Scott's big heart hurt this team. Dude was an intriguing developmental tackle.