Nobody's talking about Wilson vs Browner

HansGruber

Reaction score
One of the biggest storylines in this game has to be the matchup of Russell Wilson versus Brandon Browner. But nobody's talking about it.

Russell Wilson and Pete Carroll know Brandon Browner inside and out. Both watched him on the practice field and in games for 2 years (or more). Carroll knows more about Browner than his coaches in NE do. Everything about the guy. Including that he was torched repeatedly from 2012-2013 because he's slow in coverage and has to rely on jamming guys at the line.

I expect to see the Seahawks throwing at BB and taking advantage of his tendencies all day. There should be multiple packages designed to get at least two guys (or better yet, trips) in front of him at the line, and make him choose one. Motion Lynch out to the other side as a receiver, along with a TE outside the tackle. At that point, a safety and LB now have to cover the extra guys on trips.

In this formation, Ricardo Lockette would be a serious mismatch. Sure, BB will get his hands on Lockette at the line, but Ricardo's speed and physicality means he'll be able to break away and beat BB deep. The safety will be stuck choosing between falling back deep to help out against Lockette, or sneak up and provide coverage on the underneath slot guy (Angry Doug in this hypothetical instance). In the case of a blitz, Russell checks down to either the TE or Lynch.

It's a no-win for NE. Even if you somehow contain all those threats, you still have to worry about Russell taking advantage of one side of the field being completely open for a scramble since the LB, S and CB will all be dealing with the trips.

Any thoughts? Any thoughts specifically on the matchup versus Brandon Browner, and how the Seahawks might exploit his weakenesses and tendencies?

pehawk

Reaction score
If the Seahawks gameplan involves a heavy dose of attacking Brandon Browner, they most likely lose.

They're gameplan will be, almost exclusively, about exploiting a very overrated front 7 of NE.

SeaChase

Reaction score
pehawk":1qhv55y4 said:
If the Seahawks gameplan involves a heavy dose of attacking Brandon Browner, they most likely lose.

They're gameplan will be, almost exclusively, about exploiting a very overrated front 7 of NE.

I doubt that. I would rather pick on Browner than Revis.

pehawk

Reaction score
SeaChase":22obnxds said:
pehawk":22obnxds said:

Hmmm, not too sure you followed my point. Re read it...slower and without your moustache this time.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
SeaChase":2d8szezi said:
pehawk":2d8szezi said:

What pe's saying is that if we try to beat the Pats through the air exclusively.. we will lose.

Of which I agree.

Taking a shot or two at him down the field is entirely different though. And I'm sure that's much more likely to happen than taking a shot deep at Revis.

SeaChase

Reaction score
pehawk":1h0ytg46 said:
SeaChase":1h0ytg46 said:
pehawk":1h0ytg46 said:

Hmmm, not too sure you followed my point. Re read it...slower and without your moustache this time.

I think that is pretty obvious, as we are a running team. However, when we do throw the ball - this is where you re read my post.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
We'll go at Browner a few times, to be sure. I only wish that we had Golden Tate for that purpose.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'll be most interested to see how NE uses him. I expect them to play quite a bit of man-coverage, but I can't see them leaving Browner on an island with either Baldwin or Kearse. Baldwin is a straight-up mismatch for him. Kearse gets too many deep balls for Browner to be left one-on-one. I imagine he'll be on Willson and on Lockette/Norwood in 3WR situations. I feel like BB can probably hold his own against our third receiver. Can Willson (TE) get over-the-top on BB? That might be something worth exploring at some point in the game.

12evanf

Reaction score
Bobby Wagner responded to Browner's quote on going after Sherman's arm. Smiling, he said "we know [Browner] too, very well, so we're gonna go after him too."

Makes me think the OP is right. That we know BB's weaknesses and plan on fully exploiting them.

Attachments

• wagner.jpg
    wagner.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,333

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Shame Richardson is out. I bet he would give Browner fits the way he was stepping up as a Tate replacement lately.

- bds

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Richardson would get jammed by BB. Not trying to start trouble here, but PRich needs to get off the line better.

chet380

Reaction score
pehawk":3ipz5yx2 said:

Key stat -- BB's 40 time (8 or 9 yrs ago) was 5.63 -- his lack of speed is why he gets so many PI calls.

Belichick will do everything possible to avoid BB covering any receiver one-on-one on a deep route and RW and the WR's will be waiting for the opportunity.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":2oap4m92 said:
Richardson would get jammed by BB. Not trying to start trouble here, but PRich needs to get off the line better.

He showed marked improvement in this in the last couple of games prior to his injury. Still a ways to go, but I but he could juke BB at the line pretty good.

- bsd

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":3gcy32kc said:

Agreed.

Actually think Hans is pretty accurate here.. Lockette could give BB some trouble. I think Kearse can as well.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Browner knows Russ pretty well too so who knows. Lockett sounds like an interesting match up with Browner if we can get it and he can get a release. I don't know much about the Pats safeties.

pehawk

Reaction score
If any part of the pass game is gameplanned, it'll look alot like the last game the Seahawks played in Arizona. It'll be about getting Luke and hopefully Cooper (best getopen guy on team) against their LB's.

LTH

Reaction score
pehawk":2fqpwhoh said:

Only one thing to say.... The Pats need a huge dose of "Im just here so I dont get fined" LMAO!!!!!!! :lol:

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I don't see us "going after" Browner. They will have a few very specific routes targeted at both corners, but the way the Pats play D there are just as good of reasons to go after Revis. They cheat a safety to Browner's side, so other than those sideline press beaters, the Patriots aren't giving Browner a true third of the deep to cover. It's more like quarter quarter half.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Wish we could trade for Mike Wallace for just this game alone. He torched Browner when we played against him.

kearly

Reaction score
I think they only go after the corners as often as they need to. Only enough to avoid total predictability. Seattle's offense vs. the Pats front seven is a huge mismatch. Really, all Seattle has to do is competently execute their usual game plan on offense and they should do pretty well.