Marshawn might still get fined...

sutz

Reaction score
Not for the interview. For the cap. He wore his Beast Mode cap to the interview, which is against the rules, apparently. Guys have been fined for that before.

Per Shefter on ESPN just now. Sorry, no link, it was on the TV box.

marko358

Reaction score
From Schefter's facebook page:

Full story from Darren Rovell and I:
Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch spent the few minutes he was on the podium at Tuesday's Super Bowl Media Day saying, over and over again, "I'm just here so I won't be fined."
Unfortunately, for Lynch, showing up wasn't the only criteria. Sources tell ESPN that, after the Super Bowl, the league will review whether the hat Lynch wore during the event was permissible. If the league rules that Lynch used Media Day to promote a brand that was not approved by the league, he could face a significant fine. NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy declined to comment.
The NFL makes clear to players that they cannot wear brands that conflict with league partners on the field during games and during postgame interviews. That is extended to Super Bowl Media Day, where a record amount of cameras are on the players.
That's why the league fined Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher $100,000 for wearing a Vitaminwater hat on his podium during Super Bowl XLI in 2007. The league had, and still has, an official drink deal with Pepsi, which also owns Gatorade.
Lynch's hat had his own BeastMode logo on it. The hat was selling on the clothing line's web site and advertised as "the hat Marshawn wore during the 2015 SB Media Day." The hat, which cost $33, sold out and the website noted this morning that it was hoping to restock it as soon as possible.
The league frowns on players using what is considered a league event to promote something that it has not approved. And despite Lynch's short time on the podium on Tuesday, he certainly got his money's worth.
Lynch garnered $2.25 million in equivalent advertising time from news clips and social media showing the hat throughout the day, according to Front Row Analytics, a sponsorship evaluation company.
Lynch's situation isn't exactly parallel to Urlacher's in that he wasn't wearing a brand that competes with a league sponsor. The hat is made by New Era, which is the official hat of the NFL.
Lynch is no stranger to fines. In November, he was fined $50,000 for not talking to the media and another $50,000 that was being withheld by the league from the 2013 season that was contingent upon his future cooperation with the press. Lynch was also fined $11,050 for grabbing his crotch after a touchdown in a late December game against the Arizona Cardinals. He was fined $20,000 for doing the same thing in the NFC Championship Game.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Thanks, marko, for the added info on this.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
It's a New Era hat. New Era is the official hat company of the NFL. They're going to have a hard time selling this as a non-approved brand.

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
so hat is made by official NFL brand and promotes a product that does not compete with NFL official brands. wow they really hate ML. they want to f him over big time. stay classy NFL.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sounds to me like the league and the writers are looking for ways to punish Lynch for not being their lackey and doing what he's told. They'll look at every piece of film and find every little issue they can. It's become an obsession

LITP

Reaction score
Obviously not a Seahawks fan but i've had BeastModes back on this all season - it really is something of a joke.

The whole media thing is something of sham - its not even about the fan experience anymore - just a bunch of clueless clowns looking for some out of context quote that they can run with for a few days.

Lame.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I'm almost positive they will pop him for the cap.
Those guys know the rules about apparel.
As much as it pains me to say it, if they fine him for it, it's reasonable.

uncle fester

Reaction score
This is childish. Goodell is out to get him, plain and simple.

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
pmedic920":2jgb0d4p said:

does bellycheat get fined for flip flops? or are hats unique. ...[this is really an honest question]

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
pmedic920":qvvmwnls said:

Fining someone for the wrong hat while the Pats get away with deflated footballs is reasonable?

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Seems to me like they are treating him as the class clown trouble-maker. The more rules they try to enforce on him the more he tries to push limits. This whole thing is becoming schoolyard comedy. They never seemed to care much about his "antics" when his team was average be it the Bills or Hawks. They just seem to hate getting pushed back.

Comical.

Chawks1

Reaction score
New Era is benifitting from this as much as Lynch. Will they fine an NFL corporate partner too? If not, Lynch should stop using them as hat supplier.

minormillikin

Reaction score
I know I could just Google it, but what "charities" do these fines actually go to?

I get a feeling the money goes toward "Play 60," or other NFL made groups. If that's the case, these fines are just an old fashioned money grab, because I guarantee Play 60's administration is staffed by friends and distant relatives of the commissioner who will "allocate" Marshawn's money profitably.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
uncle fester":32ap9w6t said:
This is childish. Goodell is out to get him, plain and simple.

Really a matter of perspective, IMO.

I'm a huge Lynch fan, but is it also not childish to make a mockery of the process rather than just answering some stupid questions? From the league's perspective Lynch is able to make 8 million dollars a year BECAUSE of the very same media contracts that make players answer stupid questions for 15 minutes every once in awhile.

BC-Hawk

Reaction score
The NFL is moving quicker to punish Lynch for a damn hat while continuing to drag their feet on New England's balls. Gotta love priorities! :roll:

HawkEye

Reaction score
Sounds to me like the league and the writers are looking for ways to punish Lynch for not being their lackey and doing what he's told. They'll look at every piece of film and find every little issue they can. It's become an obsession

:13: