Question about SB team logo alignments

StorytellerMatt

Reaction score
Every time I turn on ESPN or go to a website to read about the game, they always show the team logos aligned like this, facing the same direction:

SB49 1 zps118bec2c

Shouldn't the Seahawk logo be inverted to face the Patriot, to imply that the two teams are competing against each other, like this?

SB49 2 zps321f3cbd

I don't know. My gut tells me that they go with the first alignment because they know the Seahawks will literally win this game "walking away" and "leaving the Patriots behind in their dust.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
You answered your own question with the last paragraph. Go hawks!

Basis4day

Reaction score
Except it make no sense for a potential superbowl team whose logo contains letters like Giants, Jets, Niners, Raiders, etc.

City Of Reign

Reaction score
I was going to major in graphic design. One of the things I remember being taught was that facing left symbolizes moving forward and facing right symbolizes looking back. There are those that take making their logo face right as disrespectful In that you're saying they and what their logo stand for is moving backwards. Just my theory don't really know for sure.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
# 2 is wrong and reminds me of XL too much!!!

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
I absolutely hate the Patriot logo. In the early 90's it replaced the "Pat Patriot" logo which was a soldier of the American Revolution hiking a ball , which I thought pretty cool. Many Patriot fans felt the same way, and I read some comments on one of their forums, that many still do hate the one they have today.

morgulon1

Reaction score
SPIRITOF12":3mdv7yxs said:
I absolutely hate the Patriot logo. In the early 90's it replaced the "Pat Patriot" logo which was a soldier of the American Revolution hiking a ball , which I thought pretty cool. Many Patriot fans felt the same way, and I read some comments on one of their forums, that many still do hate the one they have today.
the old

I like the old Pat logo better as well.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
all NFL logos as part of their branding and marketing style guides. Style guides are booklets of branding information about a company/franchise/commercial entity and contain all the information about the product's branding, from how the logos look to how they prefer the logos to look in two-tone, black and white, etc...what fonts should be used with it, etc.

So somewhere there is a preference stated for every logo as to which direction it should face. Most will choose facing from left to right because that's just the way we westerners are taught to observe things. The NFL is going to us the style guide and display their brands in the proper way.

OpHawk

Reaction score
City Of Reign":3nginit1 said:
I was going to major in graphic design. One of the things I remember being taught was that facing left symbolizes moving forward and facing right symbolizes looking back. There are those that take making their logo face right as disrespectful In that you're saying they and what their logo stand for is moving backwards. Just my theory don't really know for sure.

Do you mean to say facing right forward and left backward?

Hawkaholic

Reaction score
OpHawk":3f9jr30j said:
City Of Reign":3f9jr30j said:

Maybe he was referring to objects such as the american flag? It is always "backward" on uniforms because that's how it would look as if running with one, or blowing in a breeze. However, in this case both logos are faces or heads, which facing backward would actually depict moving backward.

But I could also be completely off base here lol :?

Dadads

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I cannot stand our logo "backwards". The first time I saw it like that was at SBXL*. It drove me nuts then, and it seemed like a bad omen. Then we all know how the game played out.

I don't recall our logo facing left at anytime leading up to SBXLVIII.

NFL Network has our logo facing left (like in the second graphic in the OP's post) and it's driving me batshit. Absolute batshit.

Our logo is meant to be viewed right orientation. Left is just off and looks stupid, IMO. Oh and while I am thinking about it, we were also wearing our home jerseys. Oh great. And yes, I am sensitive, call it PTSD from SBXL*. :D

And while I'm being a whiny little sissy, why are the Patriots almost always shown on the left and the Seahawks on the right? To me, I equate left with home team, and the NFC is the home team. It oozes subliminal "ranking" to me and it's driving me crazy.

122FordField

superbowl.jpg

New-England-Patriots-vs-Seattle-Seahawks-2015-Super-Bowl-Wallpaper-.jpg

furi0usbee

Reaction score
Hawkaholic":o4dov6jr said:
OpHawk":o4dov6jr said:
City Of Reign":o4dov6jr said:

Maybe he was referring to objects such as the american flag? It is always "backward" on uniforms because that's how it would look as if running with one, or blowing in a breeze. However, in this case both logos are faces or heads, which facing backward would actually depict moving backward.

Dadads

Yeah I never did get that backwards flag patch until I found out the reason they do that. The stars have to be at the front at all times. So although on one arm you get to see the stars in the front as your are used to, on the opposite side, if they used the same format, the stars would be pointing towards the rear. So anytime you see a patch of our flag, the stars will (should) be facing to the front, relative to the person/thing it's on. For all military uses of the flag, they use that front approach for the stars.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
It's the opposite, Todd. It's Pats @ Hawks therefore we're on the right. I don't like the backwards logo either but I get it.

City Of Reign

Reaction score
Hawkaholic":2vthguhq said:
OpHawk":2vthguhq said:
City Of Reign":2vthguhq said:

Dadads

I have experience here too serving in the Marine Corps for 5 years. This one I know outright. The American flag is placed facing "left" on uniforms as that is the way it would look running into battle.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Aros":3u3act1r said:
I cannot stand our logo "backwards". The first time I saw it like that was at SBXL*. It drove me nuts then, and it seemed like a bad omen. Then we all know how the game played out.

I don't recall our logo facing left at anytime leading up to SBXLVIII.

NFL Network has our logo facing left (like in the second graphic in the OP's post) and it's driving me batshit. Absolute batshit.

Our logo is meant to be viewed right orientation. Left is just off and looks stupid, IMO. Oh and while I am thinking about it, we were also wearing our home jerseys. Oh great. And yes, I am sensitive, call it PTSD from SBXL*. :D

And while I'm being a whiny little sissy, why are the Patriots almost always shown on the left and the Seahawks on the right? To me, I equate left with home team, and the NFC is the home team. It oozes subliminal "ranking" to me and it's driving me crazy.

122FordField

superbowl.jpg

New-England-Patriots-vs-Seattle-Seahawks-2015-Super-Bowl-Wallpaper-.jpg

I disagree. The home team is almost always listed 2nd because NE@SEA is so much easier to say than Seattle is playing at home against NE. The only place this doesn't ususlly apply is on a team's individual schedule. That team is usually listed first. For example:

SEA vs GB (home game)
SEA @ SD (road game)

But if you look at a full NFL schedule, the home team is always listed 2nd.

minormillikin

Reaction score
If they're going to point the logos at each other like it's a face-off, it's better to use the entire helmet.