Jeremy Lane should return kickoffs instead of Baldwin

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Baldwin has been a disaster on both kickoff and punt returns all season/postseason, why not give Lane a chance in the Super Bowl? He did well last year when given a chance and he is faster than Baldwin.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Or let Christine Michael do it and see him pull a Dez Howard. That would be awesome! Most likely not happening though.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Based on last week, I think just about anybody should do it other than Baldwin. Or maybe they tell Baldwin to just take the touchback.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
HawkGA":orknucdh said:
Based on last week, I think just about anybody should do it other than Baldwin. Or maybe they tell Baldwin to just take the touchback.
Perhaps you should base it on last year then. Baldwin had a 70 plus yarder when we needed it most in the NFCCG.

OP
OP
R

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Scottemojo":17pnjxsg said:
HawkGA":17pnjxsg said:
Perhaps you should base it on last year then. Baldwin had a 70 plus yarder when we needed it most in the NFCCG.
What does last year have anything to do with this year? Recent results are what matter most and other than his 38 yard punt return he has been downright terrible on both kick and punt returns all year, culminating with that disastrous NFC Title Game.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
RunTheBall":35wsm555 said:
Scottemojo":35wsm555 said:
HawkGA":35wsm555 said:
What does last year have anything to do with this year? Recent results are what matter most and other than his 38 yard punt return he has been downright terrible on both kick and punt returns all year, culminating with that disastrous NFC Title Game.
He didn't forget how to return kicks in a year. He had a fumble in the wet. He had a couple bad returns.

And no, recent results don't matter. Because we won. He is the same player who ran it back 70 plus, and he is the same player who fumbled.

We are not suddenly going to discover a kick returner who has been hiding on our team all along.

OP
OP
R

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1y32yupb said:
RunTheBall":1y32yupb said:
Scottemojo":1y32yupb said:
HawkGA":1y32yupb said:
He didn't forget how to return kicks in a year. He had a fumble in the wet. He had a couple bad returns.

And no, recent results don't matter. Because we won. He is the same player who ran it back 70 plus, and he is the same player who fumbled.

We are not suddenly going to discover a kick returner who has been hiding on our team all along.
If recent results don't matter then why isn't Malcolm Smith getting more snaps than Bruce Irvin, I mean he was Super Bowl MVP after all. This isn't a one game thing with Baldwin, all season he has been terrible on both kick and punt returns. Just look at the numbers

16.2 Yards per Kickoff Return, 7.0 Yards Per Punt Return (0.8 without the 38 yard return), One near Kyle Williams moment vs. the Eagles where he couldn't decide if he wanted to catch or let it go, it goes right by him for about a 25 yard loss in field position... then the complete disaster in the NFC Title Game. This is a trend, he is a liability not an asset in the return game.

Jville

Reaction score
Questions about the return game have already been asked and answered during the season ..... it has very little to do with the designated return man. It has everything to do with the return blocking.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
I want to know how many of YOU have returned a kickoff in your life???
There are 10 other people out there creating or NOT creating lanes to run in.

djb28

Reaction score
Baldwin did get hit by his own man causing the fumble on that play.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Honestly the blocking has stunk all year on kick returns. Lane won't make a difference.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
RunTheBall":12is82dr said:
Scottemojo":12is82dr said:
HawkGA":12is82dr said:
Didn't you just advocate for Lane based on how he did last year?

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
RunTheBall":3tgkh9xe said:
Baldwin has been a disaster on both kickoff and punt returns all season/postseason, why not give Lane a chance in the Super Bowl? He did well last year when given a chance and he is faster than Baldwin.
Absolutely not. The Super Bowl is not the venue for on the job training. Personally, I would put Walters back on KO's and demand a kneel-down on anything booted into the end zone. There's absolutely nothing wrong with 1st and 10 on the 20.

sutz

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":38k6h9la said:
RunTheBall":38k6h9la said:
Absolutely not. The Super Bowl is not the venue for on the job training. Personally, I would put Walters back on KO's and demand a kneel-down on anything booted into the end zone. There's absolutely nothing wrong with 1st and 10 on the 20.
Yeah, I don't think the return man is the problem, at least not the whole problem. Special teams is probably the one part of the game I think we're less skilled than the Pats in. Best bet, IMHO, is to not do anything to make it a problem and minimize risks. Hell, I think I'd advocate for mostly fair catches on punts, too.

OP
OP
R

RunTheBall

Reaction score
volsunghawk":awljineu said:
RunTheBall":awljineu said:
Scottemojo":awljineu said:
HawkGA":awljineu said:
Didn't you just advocate for Lane based on how he did last year?
How else are we going to judge him when he hasn't had a shot to play?

OP
OP
R

RunTheBall

Reaction score
djb28":jlrehmwv said:
Baldwin did get hit by his own man causing the fumble on that play.
Nope, the ball was out before his own man ever touched him. He was stripped.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Personally, I'm hoping we only have to worry about one kickoff in this game anyway.

And incidentally, Stephen Gostkowski has one of the biggest cannons in the league, so it's unlikely to be relevant anyway, unless the Pats intentionally pooch kickoff (not likely).

kearly

Reaction score
I want the Hawks to take a touchback at every opportunity in this game. Special teams are one of the very few edges New England has.

If someone has to return it, would prefer Baldwin.