What will our offensive game plan be?

gulliver

Reaction score
All we've heard about all week is Bill Belichick is a genius, Tom Brady is a master, they can't account for Gronk. What will Seattle do when NE lines up 4? What about when they line up 6? What will they do with eligible/ineligible receivers? How will they defend the Edelman double pass?

I think NE will succeed on a few goofy deception plays, but our defense will ensure the damage is limited. I don't even see a single trick play TD for them, and I certainly don't see it being the key to the game for them.

My bigger question is: what do *we* do on offense? Last week it was like the game was a rock-paper-scissors match, and Bevell chose scissors when GB chose rock. Square peg, round hole. Even when we *didn't* cough it up, the gameplan just wasn't working for 55 minutes. I think our D has a big game, but I don't see us holding a motivated NE team to under 17 in the SB, so I think the O is the linchpin here. Defense will do what it always does, and if our O can put up 24+, we win. If we lose rock-paper-scissors again and can't clear 20+ points, I see us losing a close one.

IMO they will come out trying to control TOP and slow it down. We need to wear them down early, keep the chains moving, work the slot, work the Beast up the middle and out of the back, and IMO RW MUST have some RO keepers to keep them on their heels. Forget the homerun balls until they're gassed.

P.S. I have a strong feeling NE will try the San Diego blueprint that a lot of teams had success with: SD, KC, Dallas, etc. Power running + relentless checkdowns + TE/slot passes right on top of the first-down line. Blount up the gut, Vereen out of the backfield, and Gronk on Lane/Maxwell. If they succeed, it all builds up to dominating TOP 40:20 and giving us no chance to wear them down with Beast. I hope this plan fails.

Exittium

Reaction score
gulliver":2jllmf0a said:
All we've heard about all week is Bill Belichick is a genius, Tom Brady is a master, they can't account for Gronk. What will Seattle do when NE lines up 4? What about when they line up 6? What will they do with eligible/ineligible receivers? How will they defend the Edelman double pass?

I think NE will succeed on a few goofy deception plays, but our defense will ensure the damage is limited. I don't even see a single trick play TD for them, and I certainly don't see it being the key to the game for them.

My bigger question is: what do *we* do on offense? Last week it was like the game was a rock-paper-scissors match, and Bevell chose scissors when GB chose rock. Square peg, round hole. Even when we *didn't* cough it up, the gameplan just wasn't working for 55 minutes. I think our D has a big game, but I don't see us holding a motivated NE team to under 17 in the SB, so I think the O is the linchpin here. Defense will do what it always does, and if our O can put up 24+, we win. If we lose rock-paper-scissors again and can't clear 20+ points, I see us losing a close one.

IMO they will come out trying to control TOP and slow it down. We need to wear them down early, keep the chains moving, work the slot, work the Beast up the middle and out of the back, and IMO RW MUST have some RO keepers to keep them on their heels. Forget the homerun balls until they're gassed.

P.S. I have a strong feeling NE will try the San Diego blueprint that a lot of teams had success with: SD, KC, Dallas, etc. Power running + relentless checkdowns + TE/slot passes right on top of the first-down line. Blount up the gut, Vereen out of the backfield, and Gronk on Lane/Maxwell. If they succeed, it all builds up to dominating TOP 40:20 and giving us no chance to wear them down with Beast. I hope this plan fails.

we had some injuries during those times that really hurt i.e. wags and kam. They can try all they want and they'll get gator arms.

getnasty

Reaction score
I'd love too see a couple of double moves on Browner, outside of that I expect a lot of read option and a lot of play action out of the read option.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
To answer the OP's question, I think our offensive game plan will be to (get ready for it) run the ball. PC has not hidden the fact that his coaching philosophy is to "not change" what he does (on O or D), and as such, I expect the Hawks to prioritize the run game vs. a Pats D which ranked 29th (per PFF) in power rushing D, which (if successful) will further take the ball out of Tom Brady's hands. I'll be stunned if Marshawn doesn't''t have more than double the total # of carries in this SB as he did in last year's SB. More specifically, I expect the Hawks to attack the Pats rushing D up the middle, in the A-gaps.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Whatever it is, it better not be dependent on decent pass pro. ROLL THAT POCKET!

Can we start a campaign for the Seahawks fans in the crowd to chant "BOOT-LEG, BOOT-LEG, BOOT-LEG" at the stadium during the game?

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3aowz51f said:
Whatever it is, it better not be dependent on decent pass pro. ROLL THAT POCKET!

Can we start a campaign for the Seahawks fans in the crowd to chant "BOOT-LEG, BOOT-LEG, BOOT-LEG" at the stadium during the game?
True. The Pats do have a nice pass rush. I expect more than a few 'waggles' by RW in this game, per Bevell's calls. This is precisely where Luke Willson and the TE's have a chance to shine.

sutz

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":cdfv5yqz said:

This something we haven't done a lot of lately, but it seems to me it would be relatively easy to implement on short notice. It's an obvious use of Russ's talents. Maybe we've been saving this for the playoffs.

sutz

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":644e79bf said:
sutz":644e79bf said:
Maybe we've been saving this for the playoffs.
I might have believed this if we hadn't squeaked out a win in the NFCCG by the skin of our teeth.
But I don't think rolling the pocket would have helped much. Pass protection wasn't the major foul up, catching the ball was.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
You'll see the Seahawks have a relentless commitment to running the ball. I really think you're going to see the Hawks pound the Rock the first half even if the Pats stack the box. If the D can hold their own and keep the game tight through the first half, I believe Pete and Bevell will be very content to rope-a-dope the Pats until they overcommitt to the run and then we can pop it over the top with mismatches with the tightends. I really don't see us challenging Revis much and maybe not even Browner until he gets suckered into biting on play action.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
1) Screw around for three quarters

2) Start the read-option in the fourth

3) Come back/pull away to win the game.

OrFan

Reaction score
Score points any way we can. I'm serious.

This team plans to pay a certain way, then changes as needed. No different here, just score points however they can.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":57hqg44n said:

THIS!

Greenhell

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":32aj7pvb said:

No to this. My heart cant handle last minute heroics like two weeks ago. Seriously.

sutz

Reaction score
Greenhell":15zit1pl said:
MontanaHawk05":15zit1pl said:

No to this. My heart cant handle last minute heroics like two weeks ago. Seriously.
What do you mean? That's the normal Seahawks game plan. :laugh:

rideaducati

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":27uid9vt said:
RolandDeschain":27uid9vt said:

True. The Pats do have a nice pass rush. I expect more than a few 'waggles' by RW in this game, per Bevell's calls. This is precisely where Luke Willson and the TE's have a chance to shine.

I think this is gonna be a HUGE game for Luke Willson.

chris98251

Reaction score
I would like a 60 minute two minute drill offense.

That is what I think N.E. will try to do as well., except we have youth on our side and I think our defense can hang with their offense while the other way around I don't think favors N.E. as well.

LTH

Reaction score
Reaneypark":3vjy9bke said:
You'll see the Seahawks have a relentless commitment to running the ball. I really think you're going to see the Hawks pound the Rock the first half even if the Pats stack the box. If the D can hold their own and keep the game tight through the first half, I believe Pete and Bevell will be very content to rope-a-dope the Pats until they overcommitt to the run and then we can pop it over the top with mismatches with the tightends. I really don't see us challenging Revis much and maybe not even Browner until he gets suckered into biting on play action.

I agree I think the Pats are going to get a steady dose of Lynch the whole game... But I think the hawks WILL challenge the NE secondary.... I think the passing game is as well key, but I think, as all ways, the Hawks do it on their terms and find match ups and coverages that work in there advantage because of the run game.... its just a matter of when and what kind of adjustments they need to make depending on what the Pats are doing defensively...

just my opinion...

LTH

bigskydoc

Reaction score
gulliver":1gjv7qvd said:
the gameplan just wasn't working for 55 minutes.

I hate this meme.

Alk0gxV

WE shot ourselves in the foot for one quarter with a game plan that inexplicably gave the ball to Lynch only twice on a day when the weather was gnarly wind and rain.

We outplayed them in the second with our longest drive being twice as long as their longest, it failed on a bad pass by Russ. After a special teams flub gave Green Bay great field position, they were only able to mount an 11 yard drive and had to kick a field goal.

In the third, we had a 78 yard drive that culminated in a special teams TD. Green Bay's longest drive was 9 yards.

The game opened up for both teams in the 4th, but we still held them out of the end zone.

We struggled, no doubt. We certainly didn't look like the dominant team that DVOA says we are. However, it was a Seahawks football game for 3 quarters.

What do I expect to be the difference maker this weekend? I expect Lynch to be the linchpin of the attack. We will pound the rock with him and suck the defense up into the box. If they crash, I expect Wilson to get some yards and make some quick passes. However, I think that this game is won and lost on the hands of Willson. I expect to see a couple of these, late in the game when we have pulled the defense in.

WIlson

SparklingUnconsciousDavidstiger.gif

[vimeo]118154910[/vimeo]

[vimeo]118155000[/vimeo]

- bsd RPA

aawolf

Reaction score
I'm so sick of "analysts", radio personalities and TV personalities picking against the Hawks in this game based on our performance against GB. They say we are "vulnerable" and that GB "exploited" us. Did they even look at the box score to see how we outgained them on the ground and in the air? WTF? All this BS about how Wilson is a liability because of his 4 INT performance, as if that were not a once in a lifetime game. Do they realize he'd only thrown 9 INTs all year? Do they realize that two of the interceptions bounced off of Kearse's hands?

Its horrible to hear the noise about how we are so overmatched on Offense. We will do what we always do--pound them, then, when they sell out to stop the run, we beat them over the top as those video clips above show. We will do this in the Superbowl the same way we've done it all year against much better defenses. They will scheme a few exotic blitzes designed to pressure Wilson and stop Lynch. We will struggle to find offensive rhythm until we learn what they are trying to do. Then, we'll adjust, and in the second half, we will dominate.

Latest posts