Per PC, NFL to institute new "ineligible" hand signal for SB

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...icials-to-use-new-signal-to-id-ineligible-men

Pete Carroll mentioned this in his presser today, as seen above: NFL Officials will now be pointing at ineligible players before offensive snaps and clearly motioning as such (apparently with a modified "pass incomplete" signal). Our D was briefed early and is aware.

I wonder if this wrinkle will affect clock management for either team.

McGruff

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":16k3h9tk said:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...icials-to-use-new-signal-to-id-ineligible-men

Pete Carroll mentioned this in his presser today, as seen above: NFL Officials will now be pointing at ineligible players before offensive snaps and clearly motioning as such. Our D was briefed early and is aware.

Since the Seahawks don't utilize a hurry up pften, it wont effect them at all.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":3a2s7qdr said:

Pete Carroll mentioned this in his presser today, as seen above: NFL Officials will now be pointing at ineligible players before offensive snaps and clearly motioning as such. Our D was briefed early and is aware.

I'd bet the Patriots don't even try this eligible/ineligible stuff in the Super Bowl.

PowerRun

Reaction score

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":o9wkpnxx said:
I'd bet the Patriots don't even try this eligible/ineligible stuff in the Super Bowl.

If they start losing I wouldn't put anything past them - and that includes things that might be considered illegal or unethical.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
You would think any team would have to declare who is ineligible. Other wise it becomes a guessing game.

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
"assume" two outside guys regardless of numbers are eligible and anyone behind the line. am i over simplifying things?

someone want to test this assumption with the pats tape?

andyh64000

Reaction score
YYZHawksFan":36xgwgdg said:
"assume" two outside guys regardless of numbers are eligible and anyone behind the line. am i over simplifying things?

someone want to test this assumption with the pats tape?

It is not always easy to see. It looks like the slot guy in eligible but he is covered up by a split end and there is a bunch of grey area for what is on the line and what is in the backfield.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Wait, so the NFL is making up rules on the fly that could benefit the Seahawks?

This is a conspiracy to help the Seahawks win, right?

It's gotta be.

Escamillo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2oe84518 said:
Wait, so the NFL is making up rules on the fly that could benefit the Seahawks?

This is a conspiracy to help the Seahawks win, right?

It's gotta be.

According to PowerRun above, there is no new rule. I don't know what's going on, but the NFL better make it damn clear to both teams what the damn rules are. If Blandino thinks the Seahawks misunderstood the message regarding how eligible/ineligible signals are to be used, then he must inform them again and this time make it clear. Seems instead, he's just goint to sit back and let one team play under a "misunderstanding" of the rules, and he will do nothign to try to correct that "misunderstanding" before the game. This guy is supposed to be head of the refs, and he's playing games like this.

iigakusei

Reaction score
So the biggest game of the year and Pete "might be mistaken". How can the rule not be clear? The refs apparently don't even know the rules as Solder's TD against the Colts apparently shouldn't have counted according to "the rules".
The NFL is just turning into one big farce with how they handle these situations.

OP
OP
Our Man in Chicago

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
This is the second issue where Blandino has bungled his message, then. Deflategate, apparently, and now this? Someone else needs to be in charge of communication.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Yeah. How I read it the Solder TD should not have counted. Also refs have done crappy job with announcing eligible and ineligible players, so this needs to be addressed.

stack600

Reaction score
I understand it as, the one Eligable should have left the game on the Solder catch. And NFL rules state only 5 players can go out at a time on a play. So 4 went out and the RB on the end drifted back in the backfield so legal I guess? let us know what Clayton says.

sc85sis

Reaction score
The refs are supposed to notify the defense of the eligible/ineligible declaration prior to the ball being snapped, aren't they? I believe Pete has been trying to work with the refs to ensure this occurs, as apparently it wasn't handled so well in the other game(s).

chris98251

Reaction score
Yes, the reason Lynch is getting fined is because the new ineligible hand signal is the Crotch grab by the lead referee. :)

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
As far as I understand the rule, 7 players need to be on the LOS with the outer 2 being eligible. I don't believe the interior linemen can become eligible. So it seems the problem was
1) the previous eligble receiver did not come off the field for 1 play after declaring eligibility and
2) the defense was not sure who did not need covering.