Somebody help me out...

hawk79

Reaction score
I keep hearing how New England is a power running team all of a sudden. What are people basing this on? They had the 18th ranked rushing offense in the league. Yes, the ran all over the Colts, but who couldn't. ( I mean honestly. Could you have imagined what Seattle or Dallas would have done to that defense?) But they couldn't run against the Ravens (yes, they could pass but that speaks to the Ravens inability to play pass defense).

I would assume that a power running team is a team that is committed to the run..aka: Seattle, Dallas, San Fran. I just don't get how all of a sudden New England is considered some kind of elite running team.

Oh and funny article by Prisco on CBS.com. Seems the Cowboys drew up the blue print on how to beat Seattle. Maybe. If New England had an offensive line equal or anywhere near Dallas.

Just some thoughts... :D

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawk79":13uj6w7q said:
I keep hearing how New England is a power running team all of a sudden. What are people basing this on? They had the 18th ranked rushing offense in the league. Yes, the ran all over the Colts, but who couldn't. ( I mean honestly. Could you have imagined what Seattle or Dallas would have done to that defense?) But they couldn't run against the Ravens (yes, they could pass but that speaks to the Ravens inability to play pass defense).

I would assume that a power running team is a team that is committed to the run..aka: Seattle, Dallas, San Fran. I just don't get how all of a sudden New England is considered some kind of elite running team.

Oh and funny article by Prisco on CBS.com. Seems the Cowboys drew up the blue print on how to beat Seattle. Maybe. If New England had an offensive line equal or anywhere near Dallas.

Just some thoughts... :D

The Patriots running game got markedly better after they signed Blount around Thanksgiving. He is averaging the same yards per carry as Lynch

bobdigital

Reaction score
Pats fan here.

To me the running game of the Patriots is fairly average but is clearly a power running style. They have Vereen who has a bit of shake and bake but really a much better 3rd down pass catcher than runner.

The other Backs are Grey, Blount (and Ridley before he went down). They can really only run 1 style and that is power running. Now the effectiveness of their run game is not as great as some people make it out to be. They are a very opportunistic running team and can really only execute their run game vs a light defense like the Colts with consistent effectiveness. They tend to give up on the run fairly quickly if it is not working which they have done at several points this season.

They almost exclusively run to the left side behind Solder/Connolly. They sometimes will do short yardage up the middle but that is for more 3rd and 1s and 4th and 1 cause Stork is 325 and generally gets good initial push against most DTs but struggles vs some bigger NTs.

Vs your team I see them able to have some success both to the left and up the middle though i think running to the right is not the best idea in the world. I don't think they go off for 180 yards but about 130 is possible (and around what you gave up vs Carolina and GB).

Also the Pats have 2 options that are not talked about much. Gronk is one of the best blocking TEs in the NFL. He loves to do it. Develin is an often forgotten Patriots but as a FB he does a lot of dirty work well. Running behind him he has help convert a lot of short yardage situations vs lighter teams.

One key play I would look for too is the Patriots on occasion LOVE to have Edelman go into motion and do a quick hand off to him where he beats the RDE cause he is already going at full speed and breaks it for about 10. This has worked every time they have used in and no disrespect to Bennett but he is just not going to be fast enough to react to it in time to make the play. They might pull that one out a few times to try to test Sherman and your LBs and is a little something to look for on Sunday.

Overall though our running game will not win the game but it will keep some balance and do well in short yardage vs your undersized front. If I where you I would not be scared to have Kam right up in the box all game and dare the Pats to beat you over the top which is something the Patriots don't do well.