Will Bevell be an X Factor ?

Largent80

Reaction score
I just have a feeling that since NE will sell out to stop the Beast, Bevell will use some wrinkles early on, rather than our last few games of hanging out for a half and taking it in the 2nd half.

I'm looking for Willson to be involved, just a gut feeling.

korboko

Reaction score
I hope not. Does he even sing? Simon Cowell isn't going like any of it. :sarcasm_off:

Sonicsdave

Reaction score
It's all about that play action boss! A nice early flea flicker would keep that Patriots D on their heels...

Bob_the_Destroyer

Reaction score
Darrell Bevell has been mostly a negative factor the past three seasons.

He and Tom Cable are idiotically conservative, inhibiting the use of Russell Wilson's mobility and running ability. They play conservatively at the beginning of games in order to reduce the risk of turnovers, hoping to win low-scoring defensive battles. Then when they fall behind they call on Russell Wilson to save them, which he mostly does by injecting more running into the offense.

Russell Wilson's running and scrambling skills take the Seahawk offense to a whole new level. It is idiotic not to use those skills from the start. The read option and other Wilson runs open up Marshawn Lynch for long gains and fewer 2-yard runs where the entire defensive front-seven are concentrating on him. The read-option has low turnover risk. Wilson runs have low injury risk. When they force him to stay in the pocket too long with an offensive line that is average at best at pass protection, he is inevitably pressured and throws risky passes with high turnover risks, and it is when he is most susceptible to fumbling.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I say every week that I wish Bevell and Pete would let Russell pass to open up the run in the first half, rather than wait to see that yes the defense is indeed is packing the box and playing press man to stop Lynch from running up the middle.

Frustrating to see our offense struggle so bad in all these 1st halves because we're trying to run Marshawn into 8 and 9 man boxes. It does pay dividends in the 4th quarter, but I fear we might fall too far behind in the SB if this continues to be the gameplan.

hidn

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":x31y06ps said:
I say every week that I wish Bevell and Pete would let Russell pass to open up the run in the first half, rather than wait to see that yes the defense is indeed is packing the box and playing press man to stop Lynch from running up the middle.

Frustrating to see our offense struggle so bad in all these 1st halves because we're trying to run Marshawn into 8 and 9 man boxes. It does pay dividends in the 4th quarter, but I fear we might fall too far behind in the SB if this continues to be the gameplan.

Cant change your winning formula for the SuperBowl in my opinion.

There are advantages to forcing the run in the first half. It also eats clock and shortens the game and forces them to score when they have the ball. It keeps the game close in the first half even if our defense is struggling and needs to make adjustments.

Then in the second half they open in up a bit and put the weight on the defenses back to keep the score of the other team down.

It's a well executed team effort. The offense plays it's part and so does the defense.

That said, it is boring sometimes watching our offense in the 1st half.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Bob_the_Destroyer":1cgxjbdh said:

He and Tom Cable are idiotically conservative,

Give me strength.

This team has gone to back-to-back Super Bowls

According to Football Outsiders, Seattle had the #5 overall offense in 2014 and the #7 overall offense in 2013.

And Darrell Bevell has been mostly a "negative factor" and he and Cable are idiots.

What planet do some people live on?

And oh by the way -- young QB's don't make it to Super Bowls in two of their first three years. But let's not give them any credit for Russell's progress and development, or the fact we consistently field the #1 running game in the league.

Good grief.

idahohawk

Reaction score
As frustrating as it can be at times, there is definitely a recipe that works... leaning on the Defense, not making costly mistakes. Although it was definitely an outlier, the 1st half of the NFCCG was a disaster, and I thought the play calling was pretty aggressive. I'd rather let things settle down a bit in the Owl, before unleashing any gadget or aggressive play calls. I liked the plan vs. ARI in December.

Last year the jet sweeps w/ Harvin were pretty cool, and also "safe," & I'm not sure we have the personnel to repeat that. Lockette maybe.

Ideally, SEA wins the toss, defers, and flips the field position early. That opens up a lot of options.

GOHawks

hidn

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3mnz3rqu said:
Bob_the_Destroyer":3mnz3rqu said:

He and Tom Cable are idiotically conservative,

Give me strength.

This team has gone to back-to-back Super Bowls

According to Football Outsiders, Seattle had the #5 overall offense in 2014 and the #7 overall offense in 2013.

And Darrell Bevell has been mostly a "negative factor" and he and Cable are idiots.

What planet do some people live on?

And oh by the way -- young QB's don't make it to Super Bowls in two of their first three years. But let's not give them any credit for Russell's progress and development, or the fact we consistently field the #1 running game in the league.

Good grief.

I think the devils-advocate argument to that is that it's not Bevell and Cable doing a good job, it's the GM absolutely killing the personnel aspect for them.

In reality, Bevell could probably improve and so could Cable, but can anyone actually name any person they would guarantee would be better?

hidn

Reaction score
idahohawk":3kmnf4yd said:
As frustrating as it can be at times, there is definitely a recipe that works... leaning on the Defense, not making costly mistakes. Although it was definitely an outlier, the 1st half of the NFCCG was a disaster, and I thought the play calling was pretty aggressive. I'd rather let things settle down a bit in the Owl, before unleashing any gadget or aggressive play calls. I liked the plan vs. ARI in December.

Last year the jet sweeps w/ Harvin were pretty cool, and also "safe," & I'm not sure we have the personnel to repeat that. Lockette maybe.

Ideally, SEA wins the toss, defers, and flips the field position early. That opens up a lot of options.

GOHawks

Ideally the Seahawks win the toss, kick it off they fumble and we recover and run it into the end-zone for a touchdown. :179417:

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
In the first 20 minutes of the game, the NE gameplan will be obvious. I see no reason why we should not throw a monkey wrench into ours.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
hidn":2e4ckibh said:
I think the devils-advocate argument to that is that it's not Bevell and Cable doing a good job, it's the GM absolutely killing the personnel aspect for them.

And that would be yet another ridiculous argument designed to take away any morsel of credit from everyone's favorite scapegoat(s).

They might as well not even employ coaches if that were true. Just go all in on a great GM.

m0ng0

Reaction score
his plan in the previous superb owl was pretty damn good, we can win 3 in a row and Bevell will still suck to most folks around here :?

dadof3

Reaction score
I thought he called a great SB48. Maybe he's one of those coaches who shines with 2 weeks to prepare?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
hidn":6lx7htfa said:

This is ridiculous. Fans spend the last five months burying our receivers, tight ends, and o-line, but when it comes to credit our staff with what they accomplished with this scrap heap of talent, suddenly they're All-Pros?

People have too much of an "all-in" mentality on scapegoating and praise. Bevell, Cable, and the personnel have us positioned as the best team in the NFL for second straight year. It isn't just one thing or the other.

The level of whining about things that are clearly successful and at the top of the NFL by almost all statistical metrics just drives me nuts.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Well, Percy's jet sweep was really not expected by Denver, and since he is gone, that threat is also gone, unless we use someone like Lock.

THAT was an X-Factor. Right now, I just want to see anything but M.L. running into 10 people at the L.O.S. early in the game.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Largent80":13ac4j1h said:
I just have a feeling that since NE will sell out to stop the Beast, Bevell will use some wrinkles early on, rather than our last few games of hanging out for a half and taking it in the 2nd half.

I'm looking for Willson to be involved, just a gut feeling.

You KNOW it! Bevell designs some great plays to take advantage of opposing teams weaknesses.

I think Carroll and Bevell were holding back in the NFCCG and will open it up for the SuperB Owl.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
You know that check that won the game against Green Bay?

Who do people think noticed that was an option based on the coverage GB showed in week one?

Russell executed it. DB spotted it would work in the prep.

pehawk

Reaction score
Sa-weet, this again?

Also, haven't we learned anything from the Bradley situation? We all whined and bitched when he was here, even though he coordinated a #1 defense, then he left, and now we're missing him. Aren't we!

Right?