The pain of this loss....

niveky

Reaction score
I know that football is 'just' a game. That there are so many other things in this world that are out there that are way more serious than any one game, even the superbowl....but the psychological affect of this game is so profound that I feel like it is eating away at my soul. All the years way back in the past while I was in junior high in the early 90's here in Texas..latching onto this team way back then..when they had so many bad/mediocre years.

When Chris Warren was about the only good part of our offense that I remembered, Kennedy won defensive player of the year on a 2-14 team, and the only other recognizable names for me from my first few years as a fan were Brian Blades and Joey Galloway. When we had Ricky Watters for a nice stretch and got some good years out of him. To times when Chad Brown was my favorite Seahawk. When Kitna took them to the first round in the playoffs before the move to the NFC and they were killed by the Dolphins. The end of season and playoff heartache those years against the rams when Hasselbeck and the team would play their hearts out to just fall short, that bobby engram drop in the endzone...... The year in Green Bay they lost in overtime and even despite his overconfidence Matt cemented his place as my favorite Seahawks at the time. That first Superbowl year and just seeing that team play so well, just to have everything go wrong in the Superbowl. That next off season losing Steve Hutchinson and still getting to the playoffs and losing to the Bears. In 2007 Hasselbeck basically carrying the offense on his back and getting to Green Bay in round two of the playoffs that year and getting hyped about going up 14-0 on the Packers and then not getting on the scoreboard again and having their butts handed to them. Seeing Shaun Alexander slipping on imaginary banana peels in the back field before he was out of, not only Seattle, but the NFL for good.

The era that we all are in now. The coming of Pete Carroll and John Schnieder. The endless roster churn, so many questions, the 7-9 division winners who stunned the defending world champion New Orlean Saints and we were all amazed by the beastquake but just didn't have the personnel to get by the Bears that year. The disappointing season where they were still putting it all together, when Tavaris Jackson battled like a warrior but things were still coming together. The first year of Russell Wilson and an amazing run into the playoffs despite all of the media love for RG III, Luck, and Tannehill and most saying with complete confidence that Wilson would never be the player those quarterbacks would be. Watching Wilson almost pull them back from that 20-0 deficit at halftime against the falcons. Last season when it all came together and they got in and played such hard fought games to get into the Superbowl to dominate and win their first Lombardi Trophy. This season, being worried,and wondering if the wheels were falling off but never losing faith. Despite all the turmoil with Harvin, the injuries..this team got itself right and got to another one...so dominating to end out the season and the fight in Green Bay to get to this Superbowl...

that last play last night for the Seahawks on offense..it is already haunting me. I got to sleep around midnight and had to get up to use the bathroom about 3:15 and ever since I laid back down from that I keep seeing that final play.....over and over and over and over and over and over again....it is going to haunt me for months..for years....this game of football that has brought me the joys of so many years following these Seahawks in all of their different incarnations has showed me some of the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. I have and always will bleed Blue and Green, but man this hurts more than I can fathom and in such a way that there is no adequate explanation to convey how I feel and will continue to feel for some time.

NorCalHawk12

Reaction score
I think that was a more than "adequate explanation." Great synopsis of 25 years of Seahawk football, too. I remember all of those things. This ones gonna sting a little...for a while...

APB

Reaction score
We among the Packer fan base know your pain all too well. The realization that your team gave away the game makes it all the more painful. Welcome to the off-season of despair.

Daytomann

Reaction score
It should haunt you for awhile. You witnesses your team fall due to total incompetence. A head scratcher for years to come. A monumental mistake.

But then again, if we could have kept our lead and not fallen behind then none of this would matter. Yes Bevell made a bonehead call of the century but in the end,,,,The team completely blew it.

NorCalHawk12

Reaction score
Daytomann":1slx7f9f said:
It should haunt you for awhile. You witnesses your team fall due to total incompetence. A head scratcher for years to come. A monumental mistake.

But then again, if we could have kept our lead and not fallen behind then none of this would matter. Yes Bevell made a bonehead call of the century but in the end,,,,The team completely blew it.
Yes, sort of. The defense did slack off a skoash in the 4th to allow 14 points. Never should have been in such a treacherous position. Still doesn't mean any "under-bus-throwing" folks shouldn't get a good talking to. Like in "Good talking to you. Hope you can find a job coaching JV practice squads."

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I could barely sleep last night. Just tossing and turning, replaying the end of the game over and over.

Not really sad, just couldn't believe they would call that play. It's going to be hard to stop thinking about for a while.

blkhwk

Reaction score
Three consecutive drives in the 4th quarter and a lead took a total of about 6 min off the clock. Last play aside, a couple of first downs in the fourth qtr may have made this a day of celebration

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Meh, the play call sucks but really we were playing against a very good, very motivated team and it was a battle to the end decided by the teams on the field.

I was amazed at my feelings after the game because all I could think about is, so this is what it's like to lose a super bowl. After the 2005 rape I was and still am infuriated. We were never allowed to even play in that game. It had been decided long before the first kick off.

The loss sucks but at least I am confident we will be back next year going for it again and not wondering if we were to make it back would it not matter anyway?

Reaction score
Im with you brother. Its like the whole world thinks the Seahawks should of won. It makes you feel better in a sick sort of way. I dont know man im confused of what actually happened. Its like a bad dream but you are actually awake. It sucks.

OP
OP
niveky

niveky

Reaction score
RichNhansom":f8ab7vj8 said:
Meh, the play call sucks but really we were playing against a very good, very motivated team and it was a battle to the end decided by the teams on the field.

I was amazed at my feelings after the game because all I could think about is, so this is what it's like to lose a super bowl. After the 2005 rape I was and still am infuriated. We were never allowed to even play in that game. It had been decided long before the first kick off.

The loss sucks but at least I am confident we will be back next year going for it again and not wondering if we were to make it back would it not matter anyway?

That is the one small comfort I take with me..despite the pain this loss has been causing. Unless somehow up and down the whole roster it goes to hell in a hand basket, I have every faith that this team will be in the thick of things for years to come. Regardless of key pieces coming and going, there will be adapting done based on players available in the draft and free agency and i have every trust in the FO/Pete to adjust to the strengths of the players on the team on any given year. My only caveat to that is that Russell Wilson is our quarterback for a long time to come.

OP
OP
niveky

niveky

Reaction score
thegreeninyoureye":27gjevzm said:
Im with you brother. Its like the whole world thinks the Seahawks should of won. It makes you feel better in a sick sort of way. I dont know man im confused of what actually happened. Its like a bad dream but you are actually awake. It sucks.

Like at 3:15 this morning when i tried to go back to sleep and for over an hour all I saw over and over and over again was that last offensive play

Reaction score
niveky":3hfdisj7 said:
thegreeninyoureye":3hfdisj7 said:

Like at 3:15 this morning when i tried to go back to sleep and for over an hour all I saw over and over and over again was that last offensive play
I know! Im not playing when I say this, I fell asleep twice and dreamed I was a reporter asking Pete questions about the game. Telling him that the fans wanted Bevell fired. I was like screw it and got up. Thank god I had the day off.

OP
OP
niveky

niveky

Reaction score
thegreeninyoureye":3esavs1l said:
niveky":3esavs1l said:
thegreeninyoureye":3esavs1l said:

I know im not playing when I say this I fell asleep twice and dreamed I was a reporter asking Pete questions about the game. Telling him that the fans wanted Bevell fired. I was like screw it and got up. Thank god I had the day off.

no such luxury for me. lol. a very slow day at that..so nothing but time to stew in it. :|

NJlargent

Reaction score
Thanks for the 25 year recollection. That was well done. I forgot about Chad Brown. Hopefully in 25 years we are talking about Sherm and ET like we do Easley and Eugene Robinson when when we have a couple of studs then.

OP
OP
niveky

niveky

Reaction score
NJlargent":m05saaq0 said:
Thanks for the 25 year recollection. That was well done. I forgot about Chad Brown. Hopefully in 25 years we are talking about Sherm and ET like we do Easley and Eugene Robinson when when we have a couple of studs then.

np man, it has been a long journey. the Seahawks have been one constant for me through all the years. I just wish it wouldn't have taken such an epic loss to take me back through memory lane. Yeah, that would definitely be nice. I think we are going to have a whole gang of players from this era that we will be remembering for years to come.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Good write up. I started feeling sorry for myself today thinking the football gods figured out a way to f us over again. Like after SB 40 they got together and said, "well we really got them this year, how can we up this. I know, give them a couple more ok years, then really shity. Make them feel like it's the 90s again. Then let's make them think they are really really good,,,like they have a dynasty in development , then we will punch a fist up their ass and pull their hearts out. It will be so devastating that they will be confused about their feelings."