Why the slant?

kmedic

Reaction score
I understand the logic behind passing the ball in that situation. Run down the clock so Pats can't respond, kill the clock with a pass play with two more plays and a TO in your back pocket. Got it.

But why the inside slant? Do you not remember Braylon Edwards on 4th down and goal against the Cards? Loss. Or how about through the hands of Marshawn Lynch before the first half ended against SD that resulted in an INT and zero points. Loss. In fact, have we ever had a successful TD pass on an inside slant on goal to go in the Russell Wilson era?

How about running the pick play to the boundary? I've seen that work several times. Or a roll out with pass/run options? Or just a god damn play that we've had success with in the past! Russell always throws it high and ahead for whatever reason. Carroll has always come off to me as a guy who prepares well, but in this case he (or Bevell) wasn't, and should have thrown out that play a long ago from the playbook.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
kmedic":2m3hii46 said:
I understand the logic behind passing the ball in that situation. Run down the clock so Pats can't respond, kill the clock with a pass play with two more plays and a TO in your back pocket. Got it.

But why the inside slant? Do you not remember Braylon Edwards on 4th down and goal against the Cards? Loss. Or how about through the hands of Marshawn Lynch before the first half ended against SD that resulted in an INT and zero points. Loss. In fact, have we ever had a successful TD pass on an inside slant on goal to go in the Russell Wilson era?

How about running the pick play to the boundary? I've seen that work several times. Or a roll out with pass/run options? Or just a god damn play that we've had success with in the past!

There was a pass play to Marshawn in the Carolina game right before the half that was intercepted. I believe it was a slant.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I was all for a Lynch run...best RB in the league on the biggest play in NFL history...or what about a fake to Lynch and a Wilson run...its worked a couple times before hasn't it? The slant to Lockette, I don't ever recall seeing that...

marko358

Reaction score
Lets see...(a) hand it to a RB who never fumbles and needs multiple guys to take him down who was having a great game, playing for a historically awesome rushing offense or (b) quick slant to an undrafted WR in traffic

OP
OP
K

kmedic

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1shaepc5 said:
kmedic":1shaepc5 said:

How about running the pick play to the boundary? I've seen that work several times. Or a roll out with pass/run options? Or just a god damn play that we've had success with in the past!

There was a pass play to Marshawn in the Carolina game right before the half that was intercepted. I believe it was a slant.

Yes, that's actually the one I was thinking of. So it wasn't against SD, it was Carolina. The point is that for whatever reason, Russell always throws that inside slant inside the 10 yard line high and too far forward. Perhaps it has something to do with his height, his stubborness to stick it in there, or something else, but history has shown its a bad play call. Just like a basketball player may shoot well behind the three point line but is always uncomfortable on the left baseline, Russell just doesn't throw that slant well in tight spaces. It's not his thing, so why call it?

hangumhi

Reaction score
kmedic":1f1lq3f6 said:
NFSeahawks628":1f1lq3f6 said:
kmedic":1f1lq3f6 said:

Yes, that's actually the one I was thinking of. So it wasn't against SD, it was Carolina. The point is that for whatever reason, Russell always throws that inside slant inside the 10 yard line high and too far forward. Perhaps it has something to do with his height, his stubborness to stick it in there, or something else, but history has shown its a bad play call. Just like a basketball player may shoot well behind the three point line but is always uncomfortable on the left baseline, Russell just doesn't throw that slant well in tight spaces. It's not his thing, so why call it?

And yet there are still those ding dongs out there supporting Bevell? I say to those who still support him...you don't know football because this is as BASIC as it gets! You don't do what he did! You don't call a slant into the heart of a goal line defense! You don't pass in that situation without some misdirection or a play action to get the LB's and DB's to sell out to the run while a tight end sneaks out into the flat unguarded. You just DON'T DO WHAT HE DID!!!! Not in pop warner, not in middle school, not in high school, not in powder puff league and certainly not in the DAMN SUPER BOWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Northhawk

Reaction score
kmedic":2ovsg2ad said:

How about running the pick play to the boundary? I've seen that work several times. Or a roll out with pass/run options? Or just a god damn play that we've had success with in the past! Russell always throws it high and ahead for whatever reason. Carroll has always come off to me as a guy who prepares well, but in this case he (or Bevell) wasn't, and should have thrown out that play a long ago from the playbook.

And for that reason, NE had game planned & were ready. In fact, we ran that play quite a bit in previous seasons (with more success).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":jneeny2q said:

True, but Marshawn also caught a TD on a quick slant earlier in the year.

At least if Marshawn runs that slant he doesn't get pushed off the ball like Lockette did......and maybe it's just an incomplete.......or tipped back to one of the four Patriot DB's waiting.