Lynch contract is a mistake.

blazen2392

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, Lynch is still quite possibly the best running back in the nfl, but we can't afford to pay him and wilson. To Justify paying a quaterback $20 million dollars, we need our offense to focus on him and not lynch. We have depth at the running back position and a very capable quaterback. Our offense has started to become very 1 dimensional, and last night showed me we need to make changes in the off season. Invest in your FRANCHISE quaterback. Draft him some weapons, or find some in the free agency. We have a great tandem with Turbo and Cmike. Offering lynch soo much to me is saying we don't trust our QB to produce enough to take us to the superbowl. I want this offense to become the Russell Wilson show, not the the Lynch show. What I saw last night was an incredible Quaterback that needs a better cast around him. The amount of time he buys with his improvisation is unbelievable. There is literally no defending that. We can't ride an aging RB anymore. What happens if his production falls midway through the season next year with our offense the way it is? As far as i'm concerned we need a new OC, a true #1 receiver, Draft a high pick CB's and OL for depth.

The Game with NE has shown me that Great offensive schemes are the key to a great offense. They schemed their way past our defense. On almost every play, Brady had an open man. Not to take anything away from what he did last night, but it didn't seem to me that he as doing anything special besides making quick reads, and delivering it to an open man. He plays in probably the best offensive scheme in the NFL. He was never forced to make throws in tight windows, that often, He never really took any shots deep. It really made me value the OC position a lot greater than it is.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
blazen2392":2jxpgpr5 said:
Invest in your FRANCHISE quaterback. Draft him some weapons, or find some in the free agency.

So, let me get this right. You want to invest in weapons while letting go of the best offensive weapon we have in Seattle? 'We cant pay both at the same time - its a distraction" tell that to Stafford and Calvin Johnson, Julio and Ryan etc etc. It's one thing if you are cautioning against over-paying Lynch, but no one is even sure what the specifics of the contract are. Let it play out. I for one would rather keep an offensive weapon like Lynch around longer than need be than let him go to soon.

OP
OP
B

blazen2392

Reaction score
The drop off from lynch to our tandem will not be that drastic. Weve had games where he has been shut down completely and Russell pulled out wins for us. We have a Turbo and Cmike. The contract they are trying to offer lynch will make him the highest paid Rb in the nfl.

kmedic

Reaction score
There's enough money to keep both, not worried. However, keeping Maxwell on top of that will be difficult. One of the positions we need to load up on is DB this draft. I think we all saw how deficient Simon is, especially with lateral quickness (or lack thereof). Maxi will be hard to replace, but if I trust anyone to do it, I trust Pete and John the most.

mikeak

Reaction score
blazen2392":1jd0ona6 said:
we can't afford to pay him and wilson. .

Honest question and not trying to be smart - but did you actually look at the cap for next year? What is committed vs what it is expected to be and how our contracts are setup? or did you just go with the general narrative out there?

Whenever I look at the cap we are in a great spot and can most definately afford both players

Reaneypark

Reaction score
No it's not. There are a lot of reasons why it makes sense not only on the field but also for the message it sends to the rest of the team. If you buy into Pete's philosophy, you have to buy into the idea that players like Lynch will be taken care of.

OP
OP
B

blazen2392

Reaction score
mikeak":27g8dqje said:
blazen2392":27g8dqje said:

Honest question and not trying to be smart - but did you actually look at the cap for next year? What is committed vs what it is expected to be and how our contracts are setup? or did you just go with the general narrative out there?

Whenever I look at the cap we are in a great spot and can most definately afford both players

No i didnt, but what about Maxi, and Wagz?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
blazen2392":2mw7d2dg said:
The Game with NE has shown me that Great offensive schemes are the key to a great offense. They schemed their way past our defense.

Denver had the same scheme last year, use pick plays and shallow crossing routes to nickel and dime the ball downfield.

How come that didn't work? It's wasn't some brilliant scheme that beat us, we knew exactly what was coming. Injuries and lack of execution lost it on the defensive side.

IMO it is risky to give Lynch another extension, but it's even more risky to move forward without him. He is the heart and soul of this offense, and team. That all equals pay the man.

Exittium

Reaction score
blazen2392":3e3esmtg said:
The drop off from lynch to our tandem will not be that drastic. Weve had games where he has been shut down completely and Russell pulled out wins for us. We have a Turbo and Cmike. The contract they are trying to offer lynch will make him the highest paid Rb in the nfl.

So lynch who drags half a team 5 yards vs, Turbin who falls over with the gist of air or Christine, who spins and gets like .. -1 yard and celebrates like its 1st down??.. Maybe Bronson has potential he's so far the closest Like lynches running style but needs to develop

ivotuk

Reaction score
mikeak":n7r1cg37 said:
blazen2392":n7r1cg37 said:

According to Clayton, with the cap increase, we will be 22 million under. That's before contracts.

CHawK247

Reaction score
And he deserves to be the highest paid. More so than Russ deserves to be the highest paid QB. Russ will get his. And I have no doubt when its all said and done he will be the Greatest QB ever to play. But what else does Lynch have to do? How much harder do you want this man to run? Pay him.

ManBunts

Reaction score
blazen2392":2yfkvub7 said:

This logic doesn't work. The reason he gets shut down is because there's 8 or 9 in the box, which frees up RW to pick apart secondaries. Ask any team, you need a balanced attack. To that point, keep Lynch. RW has one more year on his cheap contract. So you give Lynch a big up front injection of cash to hook him, then a steep drop off after that when RW's big money kicks in.

They've already said they'll let Maxwell test the market. You know he will, and he'll get paid. But you win some you lose some. Maybe he stays. Maybe like Bennett it's about the ring for him, not all money

2_0_6

Reaction score
blazen2392":2xo5rt5m said:
Don't get me wrong, Lynch is still quite possibly the best running back in the nfl, but we can't afford to pay him and wilson. To Justify paying a quaterback $20 million dollars, we need our offense to focus on him and not lynch. We have depth at the running back position and a very capable quaterback. Our offense has started to become very 1 dimensional, and last night showed me we need to make changes in the off season. Invest in your FRANCHISE quaterback. Draft him some weapons, or find some in the free agency. We have a great tandem with Turbo and Cmike. Offering lynch soo much to me is saying we don't trust our QB to produce enough to take us to the superbowl. I want this offense to become the Russell Wilson show, not the the Lynch show. What I saw last night was an incredible Quaterback that needs a better cast around him. The amount of time he buys with his improvisation is unbelievable. There is literally no defending that. We can't ride an aging RB anymore. What happens if his production falls midway through the season next year with our offense the way it is? As far as i'm concerned we need a new OC, a true #1 receiver, Draft a high pick CB's and OL for depth.

The Game with NE has shown me that Great offensive schemes are the key to a great offense. They schemed their way past our defense. On almost every play, Brady had an open man. Not to take anything away from what he did last night, but it didn't seem to me that he as doing anything special besides making quick reads, and delivering it to an open man. He plays in probably the best offensive scheme in the NFL. He was never forced to make throws in tight windows, that often, He never really took any shots deep. It really made me value the OC position a lot greater than it is.

this post is a mistake

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
No it isn't.

Without Lynch, this team is at best a 9 win team.

With an average QB, but WITH Lynch it might be a 7-8 win team.

Neither team would be anything you expect anything of in the playoffs, but Wilson + Lynch turns this team into a consistent SB contender. That alone is worth the contract.

Failing to resign Lynch would likely mean losing homefield in the playoffs, or perhaps missing the playoffs entirely.

This team needs both Wilson and Lynch, because all the other pieces are build around that core. Losing Lynch would be devastating, which means they have no choice but to resign him.

ceej22

Reaction score
blazen2392":2rleuns8 said:
...we can't afford to pay him and wilson.

This is false. They have a projected $26 million in cap space. They'll free up $3 million if they cut Miller and they should considering his injury history. Mebane could also be cut for another $5.5 million. Lynch is already costing them $8.5 million in cap space next season so it's likely not going to increase all that much if any next year. 2016 is a different story and is hard to predict at this moment but a lot of dead cap space will be cleared ($7.2 mill for Harvin alone). Wilson will get paid but he can take a small cap hit next season.

Hands down Lynch is the best offensive weapon on the team not including Wilson. Turbin and Michael are not even close to being adequate replacements for this run first offense. You can't just look at how many yards they get when they are in compared to Lynch. Lynch is a better pass blocker, route runner, catcher, and runner than either of those two. His presence forces teams to game plan for him. Turbin and Michael will never impact the game in that way.

Tical21

Reaction score
You pay Lynch and find another running QB.

MVP53

Reaction score
It took a historic performance by maybe the best QB in history to best the Hawks by all of 4 points in the SB.

That is hardly a reason to blow the entire thing up and redesign your entire philosophy.

Seattle needs to do what they do and find ways to do it better.

ptisme

Reaction score
I think you guys need to let Lynch walk.
Signed,
A packer fan....

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
It is absolutely ridiculous to say they schemed their way into open guys all night. Our defensive line was in absolute shambles. You aren't going to beat anyone without putting pressure on the QB. The game changed when Avril got hurt. Coupled with missing Hill and Mebane, it was just too much to overcome.