Is anyone else backtracking about the "worst call ever"?

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
I will admit that after sleeping on it, reading and watching dozens of points of analysis, I am backtracking on calling out the INT as the worst call in football. It's easy to question anything in hindsight, especially under the gravity of the situation, but now that I have seen so many facts and explanations and viewpoints, I still don't think it was the BEST call in the situation, but I understand why it was made. It really boiled down to execution, and the fact that a rookie DB made the play of his life.

I believe if we ran that play 100 times in the same situation, same receiver (yes, even Lockette) that we score a TD more than 50% of the time, and it's probably never intercepted more than the one time. It was an unbelievable defensive play, combined with an overconfident leading throw and a receiver not used to being in that position. But I understand it, and have come to terms with it.

I still would have liked a play action rollout, but if Lockette catches that ball yesterday I doubt anyone would be questioning the call.

bandiger

Reaction score
You can explain it however you want but stats about Pats goaline defense against the run says otherwise.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
bandiger":syllyb8b said:
You can explain it however you want but stats about Pats goaline defense against the run says otherwise.

lots of former players saying the formation and play call were easy to read though. so maybe not a run in that particular instance, but surely the slant wasnt a good call?

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Nope. Try running it on 2nd with Lynch. Don't get it, try to get it going one more time and if not take a time out, THEN decide if you want to pass, run, or hell run the RO.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Nope.

Read this from a Pats fan on another board: "Patriots opponents ran the ball from the 1 yd line 5 times this season and scored a TD every time."

According to Football Outsiders, Lynch had gained positive yardage on 22 of 24 rushes in the game.

There's no way we shouldn't have handed the ball to Lynch.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not even close.

First, we never should have been in shotgun.

But even then, everyone in that stadium and anyone in the NFL audience knew the Pats were screwed and we had a sure TD.

Except Bevell the Moron.

Unfortunately his not knowing screwed it for everyone else.

10 years from now will still be one of the worst calls ever.

Rat

Reaction score
Yes. Wilson put it in pretty much the only spot it could have been picked off.

Bevell can't be scapegoated for everything. Players have to execute.

SHOCKER315

Reaction score
If your gonna pass, it has to be play action. The Pats would have no option but to react to it.

Come out in the I-formation and run the play fake to Lynch and hit the FB in the flat... or RW runs it in. That's a safe pass play with a high likelihood of success. That would have been reasonable and supportable pass play call in that situation.

The play that was called was far too risky. Bad call. No other way to look at it.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I find myself to be a relatively rational fan when it comes to how a game is called (I'm a huge incompetent fool elsewhere).

However, that was clearly A) the wrong play call at the worst time and B) a horrible decision by Russ to throw it where he did.

When you're on the 1 yard line in the closing seconds of the Super Bowl and you have the best back in the NFL and you decide to get cute and try to trick someone -- you've made the worst call in the history of the NFL.

You don't pass there, you have enough time to run the ball 3 times in the face of a defense that hasn't stopped Lynch for a loss yet. This isn't rocket science. You lose or win with what got you there.

MrThortan

Reaction score
Share the same sentiment as many others. No problem with a pass play there, but the pass play that was called. Play action would have been wiser.

TheWalrus

Reaction score
The decision to throw is very logical given the situation. If you run, don't make it, you are forced to call your final timeout, and you almost have to pass on 3rd down to make sure you have enough time for a 4th down play. That said, I'm pretty frustrated that they completely wasted their 2nd timeout after the Kearse catch. If they have two timeouts, I think there is zero rationale for throwing the ball.

The bigger issue I have is personnel and play call. First of all, if you use power personnel, then NE thinks you're probably running. Run a play action pass there...... The only reason it makes more sense to pass on the 2nd down play than the 3rd down play is because it is going to be less expected. Therefore the play action is going to be effective. 2nd, there is no way that I am targeting Lockette in that situation, none whatsoever. The only other target that makes less sense is Bryan Walters. Thirdly,there is no way I'm calling a play where the ball is going to be thrown inside like that. If the ball is tipped by a lineman, it is probably intercepted, if it bounces off the receivers hands it is likely to be intercepted. That is the part that probably bothers me the most..... They ran a slant to Marshawn vs. Carolina and it was a disaster. So stupid!

If I'm throwing there, I'm going play action. I'm looking for a TE at the back of the end zone and I'm maybe sending a receiver towards the sideline in the flat.

That being said, running that play has sack potential would be disastrous which is why I'm just sticking to the run.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Passing wasn't the problem so much as making Wilson throw over the line into a tight spot in the middle.

I'm going to say it was a very bad call.

purpleworld

Reaction score
Not the "worst call ever" but, I wanted a run in that situation....however, I wanted a field goal with 6 seconds remaining in the first half as well while Bevell's gutsy call worked for a TD ....so what do I know? :shock:

kearly

Reaction score
Rat":3e4xc7lp said:
Yes. Wilson put it in pretty much the only spot it could have been picked off.

Bevell can't be scapegoated for everything. Players have to execute.

Wilson put it where it had to be. The defense knew the play was coming and broke on it. Very similar in concept to the play Sherman made against the Texans.

Even if Wilson had thrown the ball a tic sooner, Lockette would have been blasted at the 1 yard line, and if he had held onto the ball, Seattle would have been forced to burn a timeout, which is also a really bad outcome. No way Lockette scores there.

Seattle basically gave the play away when they went 3 WR and the Patriots dictated a pass with their defense. Lockette lined up just behind Kearse in a classic rub route formation. The Patriots see this formation a hundred times a day in practice, so they all knew it was coming. This was confirmed by Patriots DBs in interviews after the game. It really was just about the worst play call possible.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
In a theoretical football vacuum, it can be mildly justified. However, in that game, and that setting - you need to give Lynch the ball and take a timeout after if he isn't successful.

You don't put your offense in that position on the fly. Maybe try a pass after the timeout on 3rd down.

You need to score points and not be so preoccupied on 4th down.

Lastly, don't pick such a simple pass play that the opposing defense can jump.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
purpleworld":szdf5jog said:
Not the "worst call ever" but, I wanted a run in that situation....however, I wanted a field goal with 6 seconds remaining in the first half as well while Bevell's gutsy call worked for a TD ....so what do I know? :shock:

You have one timeout, 20 seconds left. Running 3 downs won't do you any good if you don't score a TD. You need to throw one before to save that timeout.

I don't care about the play call, just the wrong pass play.

pehawk

Reaction score
This blaming it on Wilson is individuals trying to be unique and different, for differents sake. It's a pick route/slant...Wilson is to release it as he hits last step on his drop.

None of that takes into account Browner baited them into it.

People are reaching to make it sound like they're more nuanced an eye. It's laughable, embarrassing, and remiss of reality. Quit embarrassing yourselves and the site.

You're not seeing anything we aren't. Knock it off.

kearly

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":3bpows7h said:
You have one timeout, 20 seconds left. Running 3 downs won't do you any good if you don't score a TD. You need to throw one before to save that timeout.

I don't care about the play call, just the wrong pass play.

If you call two running plays in the huddle, you could easily get 3 run plays off. The ball was snapped with about 25 seconds on the clock, and if Lynch gets stuffed, it's not going to take 20 seconds to snap the next play. Probably more like 15 seconds. Which leaves 10 seconds for a run and then a timeout.

The previous play ended with something like a minute left on the clock, Seattle had roughly half a minute to get their run package on the field, but instead Seattle milked the clock down only to put 3 WR on the field. When Pete talks about needing a pass, he is either grossly incompetent or desperate to cover for an OC that wanted to showboat. I think it's most likely the latter.