A loss builds character and breeds determination

hawkpride

Reaction score
Look at it that way, a young team that has had some very early success maybe needed a reality check to get back in their true form. Yes I know, we all wanted that SB win and yes it may or may not have been the worst call in sports history, but think back to the defeat the Falcons gave us two years ago and how that stuck in craw of the players that year which made them never want to taste that again. Maybe this loss will reignite that fire, from the coaching staff on down. Even Pete said this was a tough lesson to learn.
What I feel back about is the fellows that came to this team this year with the hopes of a ring, such a K Williams.

No TEAM can win them all............football is a TEAM sport.
I love the Hawks win or lose!!

hawk45

Reaction score
Within 1 botched call of a repeat, I do not think losing competitive fire had squat to do with this.

Also, a loss can breed resentment and mistrust as long as we're listing the things that such a damaging loss can breed.

I get the emotional need for silver linings, but sometimes it's just all damage. Especially in a game where you may never sniff the SB again.

The organization and team is solid and so I doubt this is the end of our success, but in no way am I about attribute future success to the debacle of yesterday.

byau

Reaction score
True on both counts - it can go either way, breed character and determination or loss and mistrust.

That's why it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

My take: this team functioned how you want it to. Players need to be coachable, and need to trust what's around and above them. That's what ET3 talked about when he talks about the player meeting: they had to re-learn to trust that each guy would execute his job.

Russell trusted his OC and his coach. He didn't try to be a hero. Eventually as that trust grows and his experience grows he will learn to adapt and learn when to throw and when not to throw.

Overall, you have a team that trusts each other and executes more often than not, in the long run it's a winning formula. When the execution doesn't work perfectly, in the biggest moment of the game, it can be glaring sure.

The Pats rookie had to really hustle and make an astounding play to beat us

Taken as a collection of moments when the team executes more often than not, and they are coachable, that's a good thing

Sure you can look now to whether the right call was made and whose accountable, from the players/team standpoint, the trusted their coaches and did their best to execute

strohmin

Reaction score
Sorry buy I dont see how this loss can motivate anyone. The players worked their butt off and we should have ran Lynch.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
hawkpride":2gixig56 said:
Look at it that way, a young team that has had some very early success maybe needed a reality check to get back in their true form. Yes I know, we all wanted that SB win and yes it may or may not have been the worst call in sports history, but think back to the defeat the Falcons gave us two years ago and how that stuck in craw of the players that year which made them never want to taste that again. Maybe this loss will reignite that fire, from the coaching staff on down. Even Pete said this was a tough lesson to learn.
What I feel back about is the fellows that came to this team this year with the hopes of a ring, such a K Williams.

No TEAM can win them all............football is a TEAM sport.
I love the Hawks win or lose!!

We are maybe 2 historic meltdowns away from 3 superbowls..and it sucks...I know we would of had to obv win 2 more games at Atl...but thats just how close we have been when we had the freaking game wrapped up.

Sonicsdave

Reaction score
Hawks lose to Atlanta then come back and win it all the next year. This time, Hawks lose on last second bone head play, come back and win 3 more in the next 5 years.

They can't win every year.

Damn it! Losing sucks! Not even making the playoffs sucks so much worse. Enjoy the ups and the downs and come out stronger next season, that's all you can do if you really are a championship "maybe even a dynasty" team.

pmedic920

Reaction score
This team moving on successfully, is going to be 100% on the quality of our leadership.
This loss will either rip the team apart or cement it.
Leadership will be paramount.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Losses like this can either make us or break us and I fear the later..............................

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
strohmin":3ebmhkjj said:
Sorry buy I dont see how this loss can motivate anyone. The players worked their butt off and we should have ran Lynch.

Too bad you can't find the good parts of that game and look forward to next season.

Vpk0718

Reaction score
This team is probably even more pissed off right now than they were after the Atlanta loss.

They're going to demolish the league next year. No slow start this time.

byau

Reaction score
Oh and by the way my 2nd fave basketball team, the Spurs, I bet we could use them as inspiration to get back to the ship next year and win it

strohmin

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":24wdol6p said:
strohmin":24wdol6p said:

Too bad you can't find the good parts of that game and look forward to next season.

I wasn't implying that there wasn't any good. When we lost to Atlanta, I felt like that loss motivated the players because it pretty much fell on their shoulders and their wasn't a clear defensive play you could draw up. However in this situation, if we had ran Lynch and got stuffed; sure we would have been pissed or sad or whatever, but it would have been motivating for the players that they need to work even harder. Instead they have to trust that our stupid OC wont make a dumb*** call like that again, but given his history; I can't trust that he won't.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
The loss can motivate this team for sure, if it were built from aging vets that would be different. We know the core of this team will remain and they know the difference between winning and losing.

I am excited about FA more than ever, some shifty work by JS and the right players that want a shot at a ring makes the Hawks an attractive team to sign with.

original poster

Reaction score
Do people honestly believe that loss can break this team?

With the leaders we have surrounding the team? PC? Sherman? Kam? Earl? Wilson? They wouldn't allow it.

We're coming back hard next season, it's just getting started.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2ibm4q72 said:
Losses like this can either make us or break us and I fear the later..............................
You do know that the Cowboys and Patriots among many won 3 Superbowls out of 4 after winning one and winning another 2 years and 3 years after that win?

hawk45

Reaction score
I don't expect the loss to break us.

But I sure as hell don't expect the loss to make us either. That is just emotional self-defense BS. This team has been in and around the SB for three years. They didn't have a soul-crushing defeat at their backs this year and they went all the way to the Superbowl. The team doesn't need any extra focus or motivation, we're fine on that front. All we took away from this loss was a loss that will live in infamy.

morgulon1

Reaction score
People on here are crushed no doubt. It hurts, that's for sure. This one single play at the end of a SB will be the focal point of all but I think that's wrong in a way. It's a lot bigger than that. Maybe had our defense not been so beat up we could have kept them from scoring 14 points in the 4th quarter.

After listening to PC on 710 ESPN I love that guy more than ever and feel blessed to be a Seahawk fan.

Latest posts