Bevell Not Going Anywhere

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
Quote from Pete Carroll

"First off, Darrell is an incredible playcaller. He's done a fantastic job. We are so lucky to have him. He has been absolutely instrumental in what we have done. He is an awesome guy on our staff and crucially important to our future, as well."

Polaris

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":1wt5fyv0 said:
Quote from Pete Carroll

"First off, Darrell is an incredible playcaller. He's done a fantastic job. We are so lucky to have him. He has been absolutely instrumental in what we have done. He is an awesome guy on our staff and crucially important to our future, as well."

I hope he reconsiders if he wants to keep his locker room.

McGruff

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":2v8blklc said:
Quote from Pete Carroll

It's a good thing Pete has never said that about anyone he's ever let go. Like Lendale White or Mike Williams.

But seriously, I think Bevell is here to stay, and we all better get used to it. And really, he's done a good job overall. I don't think we'd be where we are without him, nor would Wilson be who he is without him.

Are there significant flaws? Certainly. But other than Bill Walsh I've never know a perfect playcaller.

McGruff

Reaction score
Polaris":krxa8jxj said:
SeaToTheHawks":krxa8jxj said:
Quote from Pete Carroll

I just listened to a bunch of post game quotes at .com, and not one of them sounded like they were ready to turn on their teammates or coaches.

Polaris

Reaction score
McGruff":3c1hsqcw said:
Polaris":3c1hsqcw said:
SeaToTheHawks":3c1hsqcw said:
Quote from Pete Carroll

I just listened to a bunch of post game quotes at .com, and not one of them sounded like they were ready to turn on their teammates or coaches.

That's not the story I've heard, and I'll leave it at that.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Bevell has amazing calls that win games, and then he has bonehead moments that cost games.

The main one seems to be not running Marshawn Lynch when we are inside the 5 yard line. It has happened many, many times.

If losing a Super Bowl because of that mistake doesn't get you to learn, then nothing will. If he can learn from his mistakes, he could become a great coordinator. The problem is he hasn't learned from his mistakes so far. This time is cost the Hawks a Super Bowl.

MrThortan

Reaction score
Maybe Pete is trying to minimize the backlash, but I don't think so. If Bevell does stay, can he grow as an OC and learn from his mistakes? Calling Lockette out shows his character though, and that is not easily corrected. Pete and Bevell are going to need some serious conversations if he stays. Going to be an interesting off season.

Polaris

Reaction score
McGruff":320ptgj4 said:
SeaToTheHawks":320ptgj4 said:
Quote from Pete Carroll

It's a good thing Pete has never said that about anyone he's ever let go. Like Lendale White or Mike Williams.

But seriously, I think Bevell is here to stay, and we all better get used to it. And really, he's done a good job overall. I don't think we'd be where we are without him, nor would Wilson be who he is without him.

Are there significant flaws? Certainly. But other than Bill Walsh I've never know a perfect playcaller.

I'm sorry, but some mistakes are so bad that in order to maintain accountability (which is essential for making Pete's system work), you HAVE to hang for them. This was one of them.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Pretty tough to find an OC who will happily have as little say on things as Bevell. Pete's a control-freak, not that it's necessarily a bad thing.

byau

Reaction score
McGruff":kcottkdb said:
Polaris":kcottkdb said:
SeaToTheHawks":kcottkdb said:
Quote from Pete Carroll

Was also reading quotes and checking out twitter. Sounds like emotion got the best of them right after the game (why shouldn't it?) and as things are playing out, they are keeping it within the family.

That's a good thing I think

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Like I said In another thread Pete has just proved that he is a great salesman, showman, and motivational speaker but He is not a great coach. The man across the field from him coaching in his sixth super bowl and winning his fourth super bowl would have fired his OC for making that call and would never have allowed a coordinator who has already taken a HC job with another team to still coach his team in the super bowl.

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Pete can fix this with " honest Monday" or what ever he calls it. Its strait out of a Zig Ziglar manual.

hangumhi

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":ctebba96 said:
Pretty tough to find an OC who will happily have as little say on things as Bevell. Pete's a control-freak, not that it's necessarily a bad thing.

Pete's a control freak??? Since when? The coach that allows his players to be themselves time in and time out certainly doesn't seem like a control freak to me. If Pete were a control freak he'd take over the play calling himself.

Bluesbro

Reaction score
It wasn't Bevell that threw the pass, nor Bevell that unnecessarily burned two timeouts on the final drive. Why is Wilson getting a pass here?

McGruff

Reaction score
Polaris":21hnprww said:
McGruff":21hnprww said:
Polaris":21hnprww said:
SeaToTheHawks":21hnprww said:
Quote from Pete Carroll

That's not the story I've heard, and I'll leave it at that.

Tweets are irrelevant to me. All I have to go on is the interviews post game, and all of them are overwhelmingly unified.

Polaris

Reaction score
McGruff":1swnpk3l said:
Tweets are irrelevant to me. All I have to go on is the interviews post game, and all of them are overwhelmingly unified.

I am with Brock on this one (with respect to how the players really feel about that call). The interviews are sanitized, the tweets aren't. The outrage even within the 'family' against that call was nearly universal and profane. IMHO if Bevell isn't held accountable, Pete will lose the locker room.

LTH

Reaction score
brimsalabim":dkkx38wj said:
Like I said In another thread Pete has just proved that he is a great salesman, showman, and motivational speaker but He is not a great coach. The man across the field from him coaching in his sixth super bowl and winning his fourth super bowl would have fired his OC for making that call and would never have allowed a coordinator who has already taken a HC job with another team to still coach his team in the super bowl.

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Pete can fix this with " honest Monday" or what ever he calls it. Its strait out of a Zig Ziglar manual.

Did I read that right? Pete is not a great coach? REALLY? Wow!! That totally blows my mind... and I think you are wrong... maybe its like everybody so hurt by this loss that they just cant see past it right now... ok Im out of here for a month or so till everyone calms down...

LTH

DavidSeven

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1wgqdr5z said:

Agreed. I don't think our offense looks much different with a new OC. It's the Cable-Carroll show. As Russell gets better, Bevell (or whoever is filling his role) will become even less significant. It's not a premiere gig.

Firing him now would be tough on Pete's image nationally. That would stain him forever and would look like scape-goating. If he had to do it, it would make more sense to do it mid-season or next off-season. Doing it now would be a really bad look (though I get that there's local wrath to contend with as well).

As far as "losing the lockerroom," that's a bit absurd. Sounds like fans projecting their own feelings onto the situation to be honest. Carroll took these guys to two SBs, and to be perfectly frank, the only guys I could imagine dissenting are guys who could be cut so easily I wouldn't bat an eyelash.

Polaris

Reaction score
Bluesbro":31cmy144 said:
It wasn't Bevell that threw the pass, nor Bevell that unnecessarily burned two timeouts on the final drive. Why is Wilson getting a pass here?

I blame Wilson for burning that first time out, and it was Pete that blew it for burning the second (because they waited too long because they weren't sure that Kearse actually caught that ball).

I am not giving WIlson a complete pass (and frankly our defense let us down in the fourth qtr as well). That said when a slant like that is called, Wilson has no choice but to step and throw and trust that the playcall was correct. If you spend even a fraction of a second to think about it, the play is ruined. It's one of many reasons why that particular play was about the worst possible pass play to run in this particular down, distance,and game situation. If you're going to throw it, do a play-action, roll out and try to dump it to the TE (or throw it in the bleachers if it's not there).

Ozzy

Reaction score
Bluesbro":22vmx65l said:

I'm tired of having to defend the pass from Wilson and his play overall but again I can't fathom how anyone blames Wilson for this game or that play. He finished with a 110 rating and would of been close to perfect if that last play goes for a TD. He throw it exactly where it needed to be and Butler just made a great play. Kearse didn't do his job and Lockette made a soft attempt at the ball and regardless the play should of never been called. The last person to blame is Wilson and its not even close.

Polaris

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2nye7ws4 said:
Firing him now would be tough on Pete's image nationally. That would stain him forever and would look like scape-goating. If he had to do it, it would make more sense to do it mid-season or next off-season. Doing it now would be a really bad look (though I get that's there local wrath to contend with as well).

As far as "losing the lockerroom," that's a bit absurd. Sounds like fans projecting their own feelings onto the situation to be honest. Carroll took these guys to two SBs, and to be perfectly frank, the only guys I could imagine dissenting are guys who could be cut so easily I wouldn't bat an eyelash.

I respectfully disagree.

As for the first point, I've already said that Bevell shouldn't be fired today. That indeed would like like scapegoating (justified or not). Heck even John Clayton is saying that Bevell may need to be fired and it wouldn't surprise those in the league if that happened (Green Bay's special plays coach just lost his job for a similar reason).

As for losing the locker room, that's not absurd. It wasn't just the fans that were irate over the play to the point of blaming the coach. I'll leave it at that (and again John Clayton also thinks this may be an issue).