Free Agency

LTH

Reaction score
I havent even looked at it... Are there some players you guys like? from what I can see the need is

CB, TE, DT, WR,OL

Any thoughts,

LTH

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Somehow i get the feeling the Hawks will not be real active in the FA market...

CPHawk

Reaction score
WR, OL and possibly a third down RB. Re-sign Mebane for another year, try and keep Williams for another year as well. Not sure what FA corners will be available, but we should look around.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Will be easier to get a bead once they get the extensions done.

One Year Left but should re-sign

1) Russell Wilson

2) Bobby Wagner

3) Marshawn Lynch

Free Agent to Be (Need to make a Decision)

James Carpenter - Only on the cheap
Heath Farwell - Gone, but has coaching potential
Byron Maxwell - Free Agent Market may price him out of our range
Kevin Williams - Hope he has the fire to come back for one more shot at the ring
Malcolm Smith - Likely will test FA market
Clint Gresham - Hope to re-sign him to a reasonable deal
Jermaine Kearse - hope to re-sign at a reasonable price
Demarcus Dobbs - Hope to keep at a reasonable price
Jeron Johnson - not a priority
Anthony McCoy - too injury prone IMO
Tarvaris Jackson - Not a priority
Deshawn Shead - solid back up hope we can keep at a reasonable rate
Ricardo Lockette - love his speed especially on special teams but prone to boneheaded mistakes. Wouldn't mind if he were here but he is expendable
O'Brien Schofield - loved his play this year, but will likely test the market
Landon Cohen - Replaceable
Will Tukuafu - Probably let go in lieu of Coleman's return. Not sure I like Coleman more, but it's what I would guess happens
Michael Morgan - Expendable
Steve Schilling - team needs to make a decision on center. Need to find Max's replacement sooner rather than later and I don't believe Schilling is it, although he is solid depth for the interior line
Tony Moeaki - If we keep Miller, who is signed, Moeaki is gone.
Bryan Walters - Pete likes the kid, but I would't miss him. Most replaceable receiver IMO
Greg Scruggs - like him for depth
David Gilreath - Expendable

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
They need to reward their own guys first, I doubt there will be any big splashes on other team's players.

If they were going to make a splash though, I'd want Randall Cobb, no question. Perfect Seahawk player. He is everything we hoped to get in Harvin but is a good team mate.

For a reasonable option, I'd love to see WTIII back on a prove it contract. He could compete to start if they lose Maxwell.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Don't forget, the FO tried to get the big splash pass rusher in Allen. But he proved he only cared about money, and not about winning. I won't be shocked to see them make a run at someone similar.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
didn't we try to get Jordan Cameron from the Browns? He is injury prone but would be an improvement over willlsssson. I wonder if Miller comes back...Cobb would be awesome but that is a pipe dream.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1gik9kpn said:
They need to reward their own guys first, I doubt there will be any big splashes on other team's players.

If they were going to make a splash though, I'd want Randall Cobb, no question. Perfect Seahawk player. He is everything we hoped to get in Harvin but is a good team mate.

For a reasonable option, I'd love to see WTIII back on a prove it contract. He could compete to start if they lose Maxwell.

I think who we may or may not go after will depend a lot on which of our many free agents we want back and which we can actually get signed before the start of free agency. This is why it's kind of a waiting game IMO right now. We have to get through the month and see which players have re-signed, then we have a better idea which positions still need to be filled.

Also, to add to my original thought, we may have to make a few cuts, and we'll likely do those sooner rather than later, so that may open up some spaces for young guys to step up or for us to go get a few select vets, depending on which decisions Pete and John make this month.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Mike 4G":2bfw0d9g said:
I would like to get another pass rusher.

You don't think Mebane, Avril, McDaniel, Bennett, Lane, Marsh + Hill is enough??

Hyak

Reaction score
Agree with the contention that we need to see what they do in terms of extensions for in-house guys, whether it be Wilson, Wagner, Lynch, or Maxwell.

Cap wise, the Seahawks have about 22 M in cap space once you account for the draft cap allocation. They also have to tender some of the RFA/ERFA guys too which will take up some cap room (Kearse, Morgan and Scruggs are the RFA's). EFRA guys are Shead and Lockette. That's probably somewhere around 5 M in cap space to tender these 5, bringing real cap space to around 17 M.

In terms of cap cuts/restructures to free up space, the candidates would seem to be the following although I can make a case to bring all of them back as is:

Mebane - he would save 5.5 M by cutting him; I would prefer a restructure with maybe an added year or 2.
Miller - he would save 3 M if cut.

They could also do a restructure to Sherman or Bennett to free up more space if needed (say in the scenario of a big extension with RW or Wagner in the summer).

Factor in they may want to retain some of their UFA's (Maxwell, Carpenter, Schofield, TJack, etc.) and it's easy to see why expecting a big FA splash is unlikely.

I could see some bargain hunting after the first wave of FA but I'd be shocked if they made a huge splash.

jblaze

Reaction score
The money isn't really there for us to be active in free agency.

We'll extend RW, Sweezy and Wagner. We'll re-up Carp and we'll see Maxwell walk along with other role players like Jeron Johnson, etc.

There's already talk that Seattle offered Lynch a contract extension which would take up even more cap space. The only way to free up space and significant space is looking at cutting players like Miller or Mebane and I don't see that happening.

There will be no 1st class free agency players this year, we'll be stuck with role players on modest contracts at best, such as Kevin Williams, etc.

That said, I don't mind it. We're paying our own and rewarding their great play! We're surprisingly in great shape for next year. The only thing that scares me is losing Maxwell and having Simon take his place. Simon gets beat a lot and is very immature.

This leads us to the draft. We have around 11 picks after our compensatory picks we'll get and we have some big needs.

We need a big time TE, we need a legit #1 WR, a good CB and we need a DE/LEO. LB, S, OL, DT can probably wait til the later rounds.

Another interesting thing I've been thinking about is Lynch. If he takes the contract, we're good. He also could very well retire and if that happens, I think we may trade up in the draft to grab one of the two great RB's in this draft (Gurley or Gordon)

All in all, we're in very good shape for next year with our core in tact. We'll be back!

kidhawk

Reaction score
jblaze":1eh26v7m said:
The money isn't really there for us to be active in free agency.

We'll extend RW, Sweezy and Wagner. We'll re-up Carp and we'll see Maxwell walk along with other role players like Jeron Johnson, etc.

There's already talk that Seattle offered Lynch a contract extension which would take up even more cap space. The only way to free up space and significant space is looking at cutting players like Miller or Mebane and I don't see that happening.

There will be no 1st class free agency players this year, we'll be stuck with role players on modest contracts at best, such as Kevin Williams, etc.

That said, I don't mind it. We're paying our own and rewarding their great play! We're surprisingly in great shape for next year. The only thing that scares me is losing Maxwell and having Simon take his place. Simon gets beat a lot and is very immature.

This leads us to the draft. We have around 11 picks after our compensatory picks we'll get and we have some big needs.

We need a big time TE, we need a legit #1 WR, a good CB and we need a DE/LEO. LB, S, OL, DT can probably wait til the later rounds.

Another interesting thing I've been thinking about is Lynch. If he takes the contract, we're good. He also could very well retire and if that happens, I think we may trade up in the draft to grab one of the two great RB's in this draft (Gurley or Gordon)

All in all, we're in very good shape for next year with our core in tact. We'll be back!

Actually we are in good shape for this year. Even with the extensions, they actually won't cost us much...just the pro-rated portion of the bonuses as their current contracts would still be intact and this upcoming season would be a low salary, made up for with a decent little signing bonus check. We could make a play for a few vets who are in search of a ring on one year deals. I'm not saying we will or advocating that we spend our excess cap in this way, merely pointing out that the extensions can easily be made to leave up space this year or to eat up space this year and leave us space in future years, depending on the plan Pete and John have already in place. I would lean towards no HUGE mega deals at all. We may be able to score some mega talent on one year or two year deals if a player is looking for a ring.

McGruff

Reaction score
At QB we need a backup to compete with BJ Daniels. I like Jackson for us. He's become really the perfect career clipboard carrier.

The FA class at WR is actually quite good. Flooding the market will help drive down prices. Cobb, Macklin, Torrey SMith and Michael Crabtree would all be good. Out of the bunch I like Smith a lot.

I can see us kicking the tires on both Cameron and Gresham at TE.

I'd love to see Mike Iupati in Cable's scheme.

I could see Jason Pierre-Paul liking the scene here. Really competitive guy who wants to win. Coming off a big year, but had a couple of down years before that which could make teams cautious. I could see a one year prove it deal somewhere, and we do pretty good with those.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":lhhnz6ot said:
Mike 4G":lhhnz6ot said:

You don't think Mebane, Avril, McDaniel, Bennett, Lane, Marsh + Hill is enough??

Dont really know about Mebane's status

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
McGruff":2mniwigm said:
At QB we need a backup to compete with BJ Daniels. I like Jackson for us. He's become really the perfect career clipboard carrier.

The FA class at WR is actually quite good. Flooding the market will help drive down prices. Cobb, Macklin, Torrey SMith and Michael Crabtree would all be good. Out of the bunch I like Smith a lot.

I could see Jason Pierre-Paul liking the scene here. Really competitive guy who wants to win. Coming off a big year, but had a couple of down years before that which could make teams cautious. I could see a one year prove it deal somewhere, and we do pretty good with those.

I wonder if crabtree could be on the same team as Sherm...

getnasty

Reaction score
If i have to chose between Mebane and Maxwell i'm taking Maxwell. I love Mebane but our defense was fine without him this year. WT3 coming back on the cheap would be interesting too.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
getnasty":3lq4p31e said:
If i have to chose between Mebane and Maxwell i'm taking Maxwell. I love Mebane but our defense was fine without him this year. WT3 coming back on the cheap would be interesting too.

Maxwell commands a heavier price tag...it would be nice to have him but the only way that is going to happen is if he comes in willing to take less money... thats not going to happen IMO...

Mike 4G

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":j5rwilh9 said:
Mike 4G":j5rwilh9 said:

No. If it was we wouldn't have gone after Jared Allen. We need an edge rusher, we are ok at DT if they stay healthy.

WCstripes

Reaction score
McGruff":y22wlkeg said:

I hope they don't look at Gresham, he is a soft mistake prone bust. Bengal fans I know hope he walks.