I don't really care for the Super Bowl overall

tom sawyer

Reaction score
First, let me add that I am thankful and glad my team won one, just to say. And it was such a statement.

But overall, it's just an "entertainment event". and it most often lacks any real satisfaction, it seems to have a much more distractive attachment going into the next season. I.E. It is the thrill of the hunt and chase that has far more appeal to me.

The reason I think I believe this way is all I have read about mountain climbing, the anti-climactic nature of leaving the summit and going back down. It was all the challenges of "getting to the top" that was riveting, exciting, the elements, the anticipation. All so satisfying, then. IT'S OVER. And for what? The "Moment"?!

So The playoffs for me is the "WHERE IT'S AT"! The Super Bowl isn't enough, leaves me unsatisfied, even if we had one, It's over.
I'm probably quite alone on this, as I see so many posts of sadness, bitterness, blaming, all for feelings of "not enough".
I got my monies worth out of our eight game winning streak. Satisfied.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
not opposed to that thought process.. and many will probably feel the same soon enough.

it was the sudden and immediate end to what looked like a win that i think has people so upset (well, me atleast). If i came in Monday and didnt watch the game and found out we lost 28-24, i'd be ok.

watching it transpire, watching us get within 5 feet of a win after a roller coaster 59 minutes, only to lose like that? its hard man. then you start piecing together the other things that couldve went differently (the trip on Lockette, Kearse's drop, 3rs and 2 with a 10 point lead). it gets maddening.

So yeah, i think we will all celebrate how awesome the last 2-3 years have been and be pumped for next season. just going to take a week or so (for me atleast)

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
I actually expressed the exact same thing last night to my GF.
Had we won, what in my life would have changed? If anything I should be "sad" for the players on my team.
It's THEIR life, not mine. I can't be cut, I don't lose money. I will always be a 12. They may not be here next year as a result.
There will always be the next season and I will always take the good from the previous year and hang it on the shelf and build on all the good points and learn from the bad. Knowing how Pete is, they will all grow like they did in 2012.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
Really guys? We all wanted that trophy and we all know it. Maybe it doesn't effect us more that just as fans but every single Hawks fan wanted that Repete. Don't be that guy that says "I didn't wanna win the SB anyways" after we lost.

OP
OP
tom sawyer

tom sawyer

Reaction score
ZorntoLargent":27bv3m7o said:
I actually expressed the exact same thing last night to my GF.
Had we won, what in my life would have changed? If anything I should be "sad" for the players on my team.
It's THEIR life, not mine. I can't be cut, I don't lose money. I will always be a 12. They may not be here next year as a result.
There will always be the next season and I will always take the good from the previous year and hang it on the shelf and build on all the good points and learn from the bad. Knowing how Pete is, they will all grow like they did in 2012.

Exactly!!

keatonisballin":27bv3m7o said:
Really guys? We all wanted that trophy and we all know it. Maybe it doesn't effect us more that just as fans but every single Hawks fan wanted that Repete. Don't be that guy that says "I didn't wanna win the SB anyways" after we lost.

I don't see anyone saying "I didn't wanna win the SB anyways"

I'm just saying it's the least of the best! The best being watching 67,000 fans at the CLink freaking out at that comeback in the NFCCG and millions more running around everywhere all excited we made back2back trips to the SB.

Again, if you are like me and read about climbing mountains, and things happen and you are just minutes from the top, something happens,weather comes in, and you have to turn back, and start all over next season.

It's okay, because you love the "climb" even more than the reward. Or rather, the climb IS THE REWARD, and the summit, sort of anticlimactic, really. It never really lives up to the hype, I come away feeling "not enough". Cuz now i still, STILL have to wait until next season to watch them play so excellent!!

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Last year SUper Bowl XLVIII was the icing on the cake for me. This year, I was just happy to see them play all 24 weeks of the season. A Win would have been nice, but it was just great to be able to see them play every week of the NFL season.

Edit: Of course I wanted to see the Hawks win the SB. But I really was happy with them just getting to the big game.

iigakusei

Reaction score
If this would have been last year I would have been devastated. But after last years win it take a bit of the sting off. We played well enough to win despite all the injuries and turmoil this year, we just didn't get it done at the end.

OP
OP
tom sawyer

tom sawyer

Reaction score
..and we are just getting started folks.... isn't that amazing... we are still just getting started!!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
ive been blown off Mt. Rainier three different times. twice at the Cleaver.

it sucked.

mountain is still there though (if we are still using metaphors)

James in PA

Reaction score
There are only 3 thoughts that are getting me through this tough time: 1) Even the great Brady/Bellichick combo has lost the Super Bowl (and multiple times). 2) We were oh so close to not being there in the first place. Think about all the things that had to go our way in the final moments of the Green Bay game (onside kick recovery, hail Mary 2 point conversion, etc). It really was a miracle that we were there instead of GB. And 3) We'll always have SB48. I still have my Super Bowl Champs pennants, posters, bumper stickers on display and they will ALWAYS be displayed.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I love a good game. Or a blowout by the Hawks.

But the media hype of the Bowl is offputting.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
I'm right there with ya, Sawyer. The title in 2013 didn't truly set us apart. A title in 2014 wouldn't have set us apart. As wonderful as this team's results have been and as more wonderful as it would have seemed to notch a second consecutive title on our belts, those results ultimately aren't what set us apart. What sets us apart is WHY and HOW we do what we do. What makes us one of if not the best current organization in this league isn't the 2013 championship or the mere inches separating us from the 2014 title; it's our process.

It's conducting our business with a greater degree of care for its employees. It's figuring out exactly what a coach needs to do to put his players into a better position to succeed and enacting that into the program as we have. It's about creating and perpetuating a true team and not betraying that ideal for the sake of satisfying an irrational desire for immediate punishment as GB has in the immediate termination of their ST coach. It's moving on from players sooner rather than later regardless of whether or not they fill an immediate need, like Lendale White and Housh, cost a significant investment, like Harvin, or they don't suit our long-term plans, like Hasselbeck. Most importantly of all, it's creating an environment that's about growth and allowing our players to pursue an opportunity to escape one of the fundamental pitfalls of Western culture in our collective denial of true human potential.

We'll have plenty more highs and lows throughout the duration of the current regime but among that roller-coaster of chance, skill, and pure attrition that the NFL is, one aspect will remain constant. We'll be more thoughtful, accurate, open, and innovative until the day this league collectively chooses to adapt based upon our example. We're champions, sure, but more importantly, we're setting a trend and it's a trend that has the potential to enlighten the entirety of our country's biggest sport. What we have goes beyond the title we obtained and the one we narrowly missed. What we have is legacy and that legacy is our process.

mikeak

Reaction score
I understand preferring the road to the SuperBowl over the actual event / achievement of winning it. However saying it does nothing means that the road and the goal is worthless.... Those experiences comes because the team is trying to accomplish something more than just win one game. Diminish the goal and IMHO you diminish the path

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
mikeak":14pe9g3f said:
I understand preferring the road to the SuperBowl over the actual event / achievement of winning it. However saying it does nothing means that the road and the goal is worthless.... Those experiences comes because the team is trying to accomplish something more than just win one game. Diminish the goal and IMHO you diminish the path

But goals don't need to be based entirely on results. Someone could have a goal to lose 20 lbs and start exercising everyday. Someone else could just have the goal to exercise everyday. It may seem like a relatively inconsequential change, but if the studies on the effectiveness of goals like the one I mentioned above are any indication, result-based goals are far less effective at achieving results, particularly long-term results, than process-oriented goals. We diminish the path by overemphasizing a result-based goal and a goal to win the SB is a result-based goal.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Scottemojo":29fh9vq8 said:
I love a good game. Or a blowout by the Hawks.

But the media hype of the Bowl is offputting.

It's kind of a double-edged sword these days, isn't it ? Obviously, every fan of every team wants the trophy, but the media hoopla and entertainment-frenzy atmosphere have a way of diminishing the game itself.