Why no concusion protocol on Edleman?

homerun1970

Reaction score
He got drilled stumbled and fell then staggered back to the huddle but was never removed for concussion testing? When Avril was down it was straight to the locker room for testing. Why the different standard? If this was discussed sorry I missed it.

Hawks46

Reaction score
It would've put the Patriots at a disadvantage. We couldn't have that.

We'll never know, but if he did have even concussion like symptoms, he should've been out. It's total BS that we had to sit Avril and Edelman kept playing. If true.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Same reason there was no concussion protocol on Russell after he was hammered by Matthews, unless it's crazy obvious all the player does is go to the sideline and pretend to talk to a trainer for five seconds.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":39ly9ov7 said:
Same reason there was no concussion protocol on Russell after he was hammered by Matthews, unless it's crazy obvious all the player does is go to the sideline and pretend to talk to a trainer for five seconds.

It was crazy obvious though, he was stumbling around the rest of that drive. Russell walked off perfectly fine and coherently answered questions (can be seen on nfl films).

ivotuk

Reaction score
There was no doubt. He was wobbling later after a second catch. After the game he said they were playing "St. Louis."

All these lawsuits against the NFL and Goodell claiming he's making changes, well unless it is necessary for one of the "Good Ol' Boy" teams to win...

This isn't the first time Edelman has had a concussion and NE had tried to hide it. Google Edelman and concussion.

HawkGA

Reaction score
According to Belicheck, they followed the protocol and he tested out okay. So, you know. Of course that's what happened. Bill wouldn't lie about it I'm sure. Right?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JSeahawks":fonpqzuu said:
Sgt. Largent":fonpqzuu said:

It was crazy obvious though, he was stumbling around the rest of that drive. Russell walked off perfectly fine and coherently answered questions (can be seen on nfl films).

I know, but the protocol is for the player to go to the sideline and get "examined" by his own trainer by asking him 6 questions based off of some baseline list of questions that every player went through in the pre-season.

My point is it's at the discretion of each team's trainer, not some independent league trainer or physician, so of course Edelman was going back in......just as our trainer spent less than 20 seconds examining Russell.

Unfortunately Avril's was serious so he had to go back to the locker room, and once they do that it's game over, they never come back.

OP
OP
H

homerun1970

Reaction score
I thought the reasone Avril had to leave the field was to be independently tested as to whether or not he had a concussion. If thats the case Edemman stayed in that series and never went to the locker room. Bad part is a guy who is running around eligible for a TKO managed to eat Simon alive anyhow, maybe the staggering gate is hard for a DB to cover.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
homerun1970":1e7ml6u1 said:
I thought the reasone Avril had to leave the field was to be independently tested as to whether or not he had a concussion. If thats the case Edemman stayed in that series and never went to the locker room. Bad part is a guy who is running around eligible for a TKO managed to eat Simon alive anyhow, maybe the staggering gate is hard for a DB to cover.

Nope, here's how it reads.

ON THE FIELD

To assist the medical teams on game day, there is now an "eye in the sky" – a certified athletic trainer sitting in a stadium box who watches the game and television replays to scan the field and look for players with a potential head injury who may require assessment by the medical staff.

Players who are suspected of suffering a concussion are assessed by their team’s medical staff. The team physician first reviews a six-item checklist outlining findings that necessitate a player's immediate removal from the game. This checklist includes the more obvious symptoms of concussion: loss of consciousness, unresponsiveness, confusion, amnesia and other concerning symptoms. The team doctor then administers the rest of the sideline concussion assessment tool in order to further assess for concussion. This sideline test includes the same tests performed as part of the pre-season baseline concussion assessment, as well as some additional questions. Like the preseason evaluation, the test measures, memory, concentration and balance. as well as measuring how quickly and thoroughly the player recalls words given to them at least five minutes earlier. As in the preseason examination, the team doctor asks players to name the month, date, day of week, year and time. The additional questions include specific sideline orientation questions that ask players to identify the venue, quarter of game, who scored most recently, the team's previous opponent and whether the team won or lost its most recent game. This process takes about 8-12 minutes.

Beginning this year, a neuro-trauma expert physician unaffiliated with an NFL team will be available on the sideline as an extra set of eyes. He can be consulted by the NFL medical team or NFL player.

NFL regulations require a player diagnosed with a possible concussion to leave the field for the locker room. Medical personnel remain with the player for the remainder of the game. Team physicians determine whether the player's condition is stable enough to send him home -- with instructions that include physical and cognitive rest, avoiding certain medications and alcohol, and a plan for follow up care including phone numbers to call if there are any questions or concerns.

So obviously Avril failed the sideline test, and Edelman either got a BS test, or passed. My money's on a BS test, but my money was also on a BS test for Russell.

OP
OP
H

homerun1970

Reaction score
Thanks Sgt. and my money is for sure on bs test as well. He deffinately shouldnt have been in for the rest of the drive.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
LOL at everyone just assuming Wilson got a concussion...on the SoundFX he was walking off the field saying Matthews didnt hit him near as hard as he thought he did and that he was totally fine...his speech was totally normal and the whole game he seemed completely fine

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1a6eokrs said:
LOL at everyone just assuming Wilson got a concussion...on the SoundFX he was walking off the field saying Matthews didnt hit him near as hard as he thought he did and that he was totally fine...his speech was totally normal and the whole game he seemed completely fine

I didn't assume he had a concussion, I was saying his sideline "test" was just as big of a joke as Edelman's.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":10vsyjr6 said:
WilsonMVP":10vsyjr6 said:

I didn't assume he had a concussion, I was saying his sideline "test" was just as big of a joke as Edelman's.
I actually DID assume he was concussed and wrongly sent back in until I heard/saw the SoundFX thing. Whether or not the teams' sideline tests are the same is not something I know much about.