What was John Schneider thinking?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I wonder if John was having the same thoughts as us at the end of the game.

He was one of the main people (along with Pete) to construct a roster that was good enough to win a Super Bowl. Winning 2 back to back would be a huge part of his career legacy as a GM. He put so much work into keeping this team together and signing the right players. And then the team loses, not because of execution, but because of questionable playcalling.

I wonder if he said anything to Pete after the game about the call. Knowing how classy he is, he probably just trusted Pete and moved on. But in the moments after the game he had to be in as much disbelief as we all were.

Same for Paul Allen. Spent a lot of resources to get the players Pete wanted and then in crunch time they didn't use the supposed identity and philosophy of the team to win the game.

I realized this morning that I hadn't thought of how crushing those moments must have been for them sitting in their suite and seeing it unfold just like us.

lobohawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1btjqfaw said:

He was one of the main people (along with Pete) to construct a roster that was good enough to win a Super Bowl. Winning 2 back to back would be a huge part of his career legacy as a GM. He put so much work into keeping this team together and signing the right players. And then the team loses, not because of execution, but because of questionable playcalling.

I wonder if he said anything to Pete after the game about the call. Knowing how classy he is, he probably just trusted Pete and moved on. But in the moments after the game he had to be in as much disbelief as we all were.

Same for Paul Allen. Spent a lot of resources to get the players Pete wanted and then in crunch time they didn't use the supposed identity and philosophy of the team to win the game.

I realized this morning that I hadn't thought of how crushing those moments must have been for them sitting in their suite and seeing it unfold just like us.

They did lose in part because of execution. Of course, the playcall was very questionable, but if it was was executed just a bit better then there's no INT. The playcall sucked because it reduced the margin of error so far.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
He's probably asking how he could have built a deeper roster. And how his luck could have been so bad that he did - and injuries still devastated the team by the end.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Obviously neither of them were happy, but because Pete won last year and has built an amazing franchise he was given the benefit of the doubt on that play/loss by Allen and JS.

But I'm sure even Allen asked Pete point blank after the game why didn't we run the damn ball.

JonRud

Reaction score
I'm sure John is back in the office today looking at the free agents and preparing for the draft. The Super Bowl is over there is nothing to be done. What's next?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
If anything this loss cements how important it was to win the Super Bowl last year. The Hawks just started to have to really deal with the salary cap this season (e.g. letting Tate, Bryant, Clemons, and Lane walk) and it's only going to get harder.

I know this particularly well because the 9ers best chance to win the Super Bowl from a cap perspective was when Kyle Williams fumbled the NFCCG game away at the end of the 4th quarter, and then they still had a shot the year after that against the Ravens.

So I think Schneider is probably really grateful that they won the one they had to win, and that they got so close again this year.

original poster

Reaction score
They support PC tremendously, I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't been discussed.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3ez0ladh said:
I wonder if he said anything to Pete after the game about the call. Knowing how classy he is, he probably just trusted Pete and moved on.

It's more than that. This is an unusual coach-GM relationship because, not only are they good friends, Pete is the one who hired John. Pete is John's boss. They work in a partnership, but Pete has the authority to overrule John.

It's his place to give an honest assessment. But as far as reprimanding or scolding him, that's not going to happen for obvious reasons.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
JonRud":2nyrb5ij said:
I'm sure John is back in the office today looking at the free agents and preparing for the draft. The Super Bowl is over there is nothing to be done. What's next?

This. I can't see any scenario where Schneider doesn't put that loss on himself as well. He'll be focused on finding ways to improve the team and add depth so the Hawks can make a run at it again next year.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
If schneider isnt discussing OC replacements with Pete then I will be dissapointed. Keeping Bevell is a mistake and we don't deserve to win another Super Bowl until we fix the mistake.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":2aw61am2 said:
If schneider isnt discussing OC replacements with Pete then I will be dissapointed. Keeping Bevell is a mistake and we don't deserve to win another Super Bowl until we fix the mistake.

Pete couldn't have defended Bevell any stronger yesterday, so there's your answer. He ain't going anywhere.

byau

Reaction score
lobohawk":2pq664lv said:
HawkFan72":2pq664lv said:

They did lose in part because of execution. Of course, the playcall was very questionable, but if it was was executed just a bit better then there's no INT. The playcall sucked because it reduced the margin of error so far.

It took me awhile to back off from the game a bit and think about it more... I've come to the same conclusion. Questionable playcall, not outright the worst, and poor execution, combined with a spectacular play by the D.

Hawks as a whole weren't aggressive enough and didn't finish, the Patriots were chomping at the bit and they did finish.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Quite simply if they didn't go three and out three consecutive times one sequence of plays only taking 55 seconds off the clock from beginning to end the game was likely done far before New England would have ever had a chance to score that second touchdown let alone for the Seahawks to be in a position to run that ridiculous play in the last 20 seconds.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
JonRud":1skhdwwv said:

I love it. :thirishdrinkers:

Hyak

Reaction score
I'm sure he was crushed just like the fan base, owner, coaches, and players. Being so close and not winning it is traumatic.

That said, this organization is aligned and there's a pretty good chance that Schneider is a Bevell supporter back from their GB days.

As for JS and PC, they already are working on 2015.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":25ztpp4l said:
He's probably asking how he could have built a deeper roster. And how his luck could have been so bad that he did - and injuries still devastated the team by the end.

I don't hold JS at fault. He built a hell of a roster .AND THEYRE YOUNG!!!

We were so beat up going into the SB I'm proud that we took a damn good team to the end. Should we h ave won? Hell yes and I bet you that in any honest NE fans' heart. They knew they were done. But they made one more play that counted.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
over the years he has owned them, Tries to downplay such involvement, but indeed has inserted his "wants" during major decision times.

Sure would like to see him WANT to get rid of Bevels ass