The memories more important than the Lombardi itself?

Swedishhawkfan

Reaction score
I can only speak for myself, but I think I am mainly upset about the fact that not winning this game takes away from what would have been such a cinderella ending to a season, rather than having "just one" Lombardi instead of 2. Last year was soo so special and such a relief of joy to know that i finally got to experience my team winning a championship.

What saddens me the most about the way we lost this game is that it tainted what would have been such a great couple of games to go back and revisit in the future. The comeback in the NFC CG and then the super bowl with the heroic drive to end the half, and then the amazing catch by kearse which would have stood as one of the greatest super bowl moments of all time. But now they will all have a touch of bitter after taste and enormous "what if" to them. After all, winning a lombardi is more about having a season to remember as truly great and for once not ended in disappointment rather than "my team has this many of these and your team has this many (from before i was born..)"

So I think a way to look at it to ease the sickening ending to XLIX ,atleast for me, is to man up and rewatch it and embrace the great plays we made in face of adversity.Remembering Jeremy Lane stepping up huge with that pick to get our D started. Remembering that amazing touchdown drive to end the half. And wow that catch by kearse deserves to be remembered as one of the greatest (and lucky) of all time. Even though this was such a sickening way to lose, we showed everyone in the world that this team just never quits, and gave the audience one of the greatest super bowls of all time. I would still much rather have people talk about "What were the seahawks thinking, they would have won if they ran the ball" meaning people will forever acknowledge this game with how great of a back lynch is and how we really should have won that game in the end. Compare that to the Broncos being the laughing stock of the internet after we destroyed them and the average viewer getting an impression of the Broncos as a weak team unworthy of playing in the game, and it should make you feel a little better.

You can never get true greatness if you don't expose yourself to heartbreak/ loss. I remember the complete apathy of watching the hawks get blown out week in week out during the mora days, and I' would take 10 more of the losses we had to atlanta and the patriots ahead of getting what happened to the Broncos in XLVIII. Heartbreaking losses means that your team was fighting hard and competitive to the very end, and came so close to glorious victory in a game that gave you every penny worth of your fandom.

There are many things in life that give more true and lasting happyness than sport success. But to me, the unique part of "sport joy", and the best part of being so invested in the hawks is that EXPLOSIVE joy. If you get your dream job, experience your childs birth or find out that the one you are in love with loves you back, it will be a life changing type of joy and happyness that affects your life way more than football, but it wont make you jump out of the couch and scream like a madman like some dude you have never met catching a game winning touchdown pass in overtime in the NFCCG will. Even though we lost, I still got to experience that explosive emotional euphoria several times during this game, which would not have been possible if we were never in the game. And the years of watching things go wrong make that feeling so much greater when things go your way.

And lastly, in this now very long and incoherent rambling, I think I will try to remember this season as a continuation of last season and validation how great this team is, and that we were not just a won year wonder. Bunching them together as years of massive success and great thrill in which we finally achieved our Super Bowl dream, and letting that butler pick slowly become a mere footnote in this great chapter of hawk fandom.

original poster

Reaction score
Swedishhawkfan":3dwy62vc said:
There are many things in life that give more true and lasting happyness than sport success. But to me, the unique part of "sport joy", and the best part of being so invested in the hawks is that EXPLOSIVE joy.

Amazing sentence.

JonRud

Reaction score
A few years ago someone wrote (don't know if was on here or somewhere else) that if the only thing that makes you happy following your team is winning a Championship then why even watch because most of the time you will just be disappointed. I tried to take that to heart and enjoy the moments the Hawks have been giving us along the way.

Once we won a Super Bowl, I told myself to just enjoy the ride no matter how it ends. To me all the amazing moments of this season are not ruined or erased because of one very close loss. the NFC Championship miracle was still an amazing moment to experience as well as all the stuff that happened during the regular season. I am not just 'throwing that away' because we came up one play short.

Yes, none of us like the final play call. But who knows if they hand it to Lynch and he doesn't fumble like in last year's NFC Championship game. it's hard to deal with but that's sports. We have been on the 'winning' end of these types of plays many times the past few years - think how all 49ers fans thought they were going back to the Super Bowl when Kaep launched the final pass to Crabtree. You win some and you lose some.

We have an amazing team that has been arguably the best team in football for 3 years running. You can't win every game. The Hawks will be in the mix for years to come and hopefully win more Super Bowls, but even if they don't at least we have one in the bank. Think about all the fans of the teams that have never won or haven't won in 40 years and have no hope of winning in the near future. Think of the Bills fans who had 4 straight shots and never won and now haven't been to the playoffs in 15 years.

I am very proud of what the Hawks have become. I am feeling positive today.

We have a very young franchise QB and an amazing coach who will be around for a while. These are the glory years of the Hawks and for me at least it's not all tarnished by one Super Bowl loss.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Swedishhawkfan":446vyhl5 said:
And lastly, in this now very long and incoherent rambling, I think I will try to remember this season as a continuation of last season and validation how great this team is, and that we were not just a won year wonder. Bunching them together as years of massive success and great thrill in which we finally achieved our Super Bowl dream, and letting that butler pick slowly become a mere footnote in this great chapter of hawk fandom.

I am a LONG way from feeling anything close to this.

Time does heal all wounds, and if we win another SB or two before this group of players gets old? Then I'll see this SB as just a speedbump on an amazing era of Seahawk football. But if we never get back? Then that play will haunt me til I take my last breath on this earth.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Absolutely agree. I had yesterday off. When I came in to work this morning, my coworkers were apparently expecting me to be depressed and dejected. Some even commented that they had decided to not text me after the game because of how it ended. They were surprised when they asked me about how I felt and my response was along these lines...

Man, what a GREAT game. I love football. I love the Seahawks partly because I love DEFENSIVE football. How can you not love that as a football game. It was one of the epic, heavyweight matches of all time and one defense just stepped up at the end. Shame it wasn't mine, and I am disappointed in the result, but I loved the game. I am so happy with the season and I am so excited to see the changes in the offseason. I can't wait for 2015-16 and the chance to take home a Lombardi.... in SANTA CLARA. Muahahah.

Great game. Love this team.

Go HAWKS!

- bsd RPA

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Absolutely. I know losing that game hurt, but after how the Hawks won the conference championship I am pretty happy with the season. I learned a while ago you can't base what you get out of a season solely on the Lombardi. Winning it is obviously so rare, doing that would deprive you of a lot of joy that you can take from each season. No matter what happens in January and February, I still have same bills to pay the next Monday.

It's all about the ride and pulling out those exciting plays and awesome wins to take with you. You can't wait until February to determine whether or not the season was worth it. It's a never-ending season to me.

pehawk

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":2qy0kthj said:
Absolutely. I know losing that game hurt, but after how the Hawks won the conference championship I am pretty happy with the season. I learned a while ago you can't base what you get out of a season solely on the Lombardi. Winning it is obviously so rare, doing that would deprive you of a lot of joy that you can take from each season. No matter what happens in January and February, I still have same bills to pay the next Monday.

It's all about the ride and pulling out those exciting plays and awesome wins to take with you. You can't wait until February to determine whether or not the season was worth it. It's a never-ending season to me.

You should write movies for Lifetime. That's like a really, really bad Hallmark card.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Wouldn't that make it a really, really good Hallmark card?

A

Anonymous

Tical21":34iaya8s said:
We won that Super Bowl.

This (if you mean that fluke at the end just cost us the trophy).

In my mind, we came back down the field with less than a minute in the game and were in position for the go ahead score, so we basically won the game.

For all intents and purposes.

HHawk121

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":rvrmwlrp said:
Tical21":rvrmwlrp said:
We won that Super Bowl.

This (if you mean that fluke at the end just cost us the trophy).

In my mind, we came back down the field with less than a minute in the game and were in position for the go ahead score, so we basically won the game.

For all intents and purposes.

This is my mindset, we won that game in my eyes. This is a championship team we have, trophy or not.

Latest posts