Should Seattle have called TO before INT play?

furi0usbee

Reaction score
So I've been watching the INT that ended the game for Seattle over and over. One thing I can't understand, besides Lynch not being asked to run, is that Wilson should have seen the matchup problem and called a TO or flat out call an audible, and worry about the consequences later. Per post game interviews, the Patriots called a goal line 3 corner. They couldn't have had a better defense to cover that play. Did Wilson not pick up the scheme or does he not have audible freedom?

Pete said he saw the goal line D and didn't think a run would be good, but with the 3 corner, certainly a pass would be worse. Belichick called that play in, and they were set before the snap. There weren't trying to disguise anything. That's like walking into the lion's den.

Also, I heard from a guy calling in on the radio that last year against San Fran in the playoffs, Lynch was stymied from the 1? Is that true, can anyone confirm that? If so, that could have been part of Pete's logic to pass.

Without the circus catch, Seattle shouldn't have been in that position anyway, but once they got there, they totally squandered their good fortune with a bonehead play.

I was watching Seattle fan reactions to the end of the game, and I must say I certainly know that feeling. One play kept us from a perfect 19-0 season, so I know how that goes.

Depending on free agency, and contracts, I wonder where these teams will be next year, but I'd love a rematch!

marko358

Reaction score
furi0usbee":1tndw7hq said:
Also, I heard from a guy calling in on the radio that last year against San Fran in the playoffs, Lynch was stymied from the 1? Is that true, can anyone confirm that? If so, that could have been part of Pete's logic to pass.

Whether that's true or not is irrelevant. Last year's Niner defense was light years better at stopping the run than this Pats defense.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Im still wondering what led to us only having one time out any way.

I know we burned one when it appeared that Unger forgot he was the center. What happened there?

Then on the long Kearse catch why didn't the clock stop? It was a first down and he went out of bounds and they had to review the catch.

and back to the OP , in hind site I think every one would have rather used the time out than save it for next season...

marko358

Reaction score
Just all-around awful coaching and time management once Kearse made that miraculous catch. The only smart play was the handoff to Lynch when he got an easy 4 or 5 yards to the 1. Then they just wasted a ton of time to run their next play and inexplicably had the wrong personnel in.

dukestar

Reaction score
Many times I have noticed on a long play the offence runs out of time to get the next play off since it takes time to get the players downfield. This is what happened here along with players milling about since they weren't sure the pass was completed. We had to burn the 2nd t/o to avoid a 5 yd delay of game penalty. On that timeout they should have called two run plays that would be run in hurry up and use the last t/o after 2nd down if they failed to get the TD on 1st or 2nd down. If required pass on 3rd down. If 3rd down pass was incomplete run on 4th.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
We already burned two TO's trying to get our crap together, so no you don't burn your last timeout with 40 seconds to go and three plays left.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I think it was a little late for that. If they thought he could help the team, they wouldn't have cut him in 2012.

OP
OP
furi0usbee

furi0usbee

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":cifag4gd said:
We already burned two TO's trying to get our crap together, so no you don't burn your last timeout with 40 seconds to go and three plays left.

Well, I would disagree and say that you do call your last timeout when you are looking at the one defensive set that can blow up your play. The alternative is what happened. One yard line with no timeouts isn't as much a problem as it could be. There is no issue of guys running to the line wasting seconds. They are already there. You run 2nd, 3rd, and 4th downs.

This call was the epitome of Pet's career in NE. Great starts, but at the end, he always found a way to lose.

I can't believe that play got through the OC, the HC and the QB, and at no point in time did one of them look at the Pats D and call a timeout. I just can't believe that, but it happened.