Pass Pro

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Was it me or was Pass Pro damn good the whole game. To me it seemed to be giving Russ tons of time. Russ was looking all day for open receivers. I love our receivers but there is no doubting we need a receiving threat. Just one to keep the defenses honest.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Yeah, it was the offensive line's best game in pass pro in quite some time. Part of that was the fact that New England is one of the least productive pass rushing teams in the league, and part of it was the line gelling with Britt's development and all the starters back in place.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Think part was also that NE worried more about containing Wilson and expected their coverage to win the battle downfield. Usually when they had someone get into the backfield, Russell sidestepped and made them look silly.

For whatever reason (simple predictable routes, receivers' ability, etc), they were able to maintain coverage.

Hyak

Reaction score
In the first quarter and a half, when there were a handful of pass plays where Wilson sat in the pocket forever, they were dropping guys back on D to bracket and spy Wilson. In addition, however, they also were mugging the receivers way beyond 5 yards.

The refs let the guys play. I don't have any issue with that as our defense does a lot of that too.

I do agree with the premise that a legit #1 WR is a big need but that's a tough thing to get where they are picking.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
JTB":2m5vtgti said:
In the first quarter and a half, when there were a handful of pass plays where Wilson sat in the pocket forever, they were dropping guys back on D to bracket and spy Wilson. In addition, however, they also were mugging the receivers way beyond 5 yards.

The refs let the guys play. I don't have any issue with that as our defense does a lot of that too.

I do agree with the premise that a legit #1 WR is a big need but that's a tough thing to get where they are picking.

I can't shake the feeling that they wasted an opportunity to pick a taller target in the last recruiting class, one who could go and up and get Wilson's jump balls.

Davante Adams, Jordan Matthews, Jarvis Landry, and Martavis Bryant all showed that aptitude in spades during their rookie season -- all were picked between Nos. 42 and 118 in the last recruiting class.