The Soul Crushing Loss that we Desperately Needed

jlaff35

Reaction score
This is an article written by Walsh95 for our blog, hawksontap.com, but wanted to share it here for my friends at .net. If you want to read the article in it's best format, head to my blog where there are pictures, etc. But if not, enjoy it here!

My buddy was repeatedly making the same comment as the Seahawks finished the season on a hot streak and worked their way through the playoffs. “I keep trying to explain to (my five year old son) that the Seahawks don’t win the Super Bowl every year”. For a five year old, why wouldn’t he assume we win every year? We would typically follow this up with a discussion about how my nine year old son has seen as many Seahawks Super Bowls as I have, and his view of the Seahawks will be much different than the one I grew up with in the 80’s and 90’s.

I fear he may never have the privilege of wearing a Seahawks parka to junior high every day during a 2-14 season, while his friends are all buying Raiders gear. He may never listen to multiple uncles roll into the house around game time and ask if the Sea-Chickens are playing, each time convinced they had just made up the phrase in that very moment. My son will definitely never understand what the term Sea-Scabs means, and has been so completely spoiled by Marshawn Lynch that trying to explain the phrase “Warner, Warner, Turn the Corner” would figuratively blow his mind.

Their used to be so few of us who cared. It sounds like absolute fiction that the Seahawks were so close to relocating to California they actually had their equipment in moving vans rolling south on I-5. The Save our Seahawks campaign feels like so long ago, but it has been less than 20 years since my brother-in-law was in a call center in Spokane smiling and dialing to rally support for a new stadium. Commitment in the face of adversity defined being a Seahawks fan in the early days, not hanging a 12 flag from your balcony (which I also do, by the way).

All things being equal, an NFL team should only go to the Super Bowl every 16 years, and only win one every 32 years. The Seahawks have been to three Super Bowls in under 10 years. For many this seems completely reasonable and even expected, for others the feeling is completely surreal, even more so than what we just witnessed to conclude the season on Sunday.

You see, Seahawks fans can be over-generalized into two very distinct groups: those of us who lived through the drama mentioned above, and those who tuned in during the last three or so years. This isn’t a simple “diehards” versus “bandwagon” statement. Wether it was due to geography, the space-time continuum, or some other mitigating factor, many Twelves were late to the party. Being a recent fan doesn’t make you less of a fan, it only changes the lens through which you view the current state of affairs.

For the long-suffering Seahawks fans, our moment was the 2014 Super Bowl. We endured years of abuse, neglect, and underachieving, which led up to the spirit destroying Super Bowl of 2006. We were then forced to watch the team steadily decline for the next five years knowing our window had not only closed, the house would need to be torn down and rebuilt.

And so we waited. And we hoped. And we believed in Pete Carroll. And we projected all of our hopes and dreams and frustrations onto Russell Wilson.

And they delivered.

Seattle fans have always shared a special bond with each other, because being a Seattle fan is just like life itself. Life isn’t like Russell Wilson’s Twitter account, man how I wish it were. It would be great if everything that didn’t kill you made you stronger; but sometimes not dying is pretty impressive, even if you are a little weaker for it. Most of us can’t put in 110% every day to reach our maximum potential, we are doing pretty well just to show up.

For almost 40 years, tens of thousands of Seahawks fans have just shown up, and last year we were rewarded for our patience.

For those new to the Seahawks you can choose to be frustrated by the outcome on Sunday, but I think the result is exactly what you needed. Not because it will make you stronger. Not because from great challenge comes great opportunity. And not because we will live to fight another day.

No, the game on Sunday was so great because it resembles life. There are no free lunches, you can’t tune into a football team when it is convenient and get to enjoy two straight Super Bowl victories. Especially not in Seattle.

As I see more of my life in the rearview mirror every day, I realize that all the good things that I have were proceeded by not so good things. I can look back and see that when things were not good, I rarely had that one dramatic moment of great triumph where I came storming back to show life who is boss.

But even though I never had my great Jermaine Kearse redemption moment, each time I was down I still showed up. And I kept showing up. And each time I did I was rewarded for my consistency with something I probably didn’t deserve. Something much more meaningful than a fleeting moment of trash-talking supremacy.

I saw a lot more Seahawks jerseys when I flew into the Phoenix airport last week than I saw when I was flying out the day after the game. It was important to me to wear Seahawks gear flying out of Phoenix on Monday after that soul-crushing defeat, especially when I had to stand in line next to Bostonians in shiny new Patriots gear. It is entirely possible that I would have felt superior to those New England fans had we scored on that final offensive play, so it was important to be humbled on the way out. Life doesn’t let you choose only the good moments, and let you hide during the bad ones.

What I personally find most enjoyable about being a fan is the challenge of remaining consistent. Try to stay humble during the good times, and don’t get too low during the bad times. Pete Carroll uses his role as coach of the Seahawks to live and teach his life philosophy to others. We may not have the same grand scale on which to display our philosophy, but in your own little corner of the world how you root for the Seahawks does say something about how you approach life.

I love seeing my son’s face after the Seahawks win a big game, but he will have to go through so much more than just great victories in his life. I’m not suggesting my parenting philosophy consists solely of inspirational talks during a 16 game plus playoffs football season, but I would admit that a parent could do much worse than use the ups and downs of sports to instill life lessons.

Man, those vegetables went down rough on Sunday. But I’m glad they did, because being a Seahawks fan was starting to become a little bit too easy. And when things are so easy they don’t resemble real life, they become a little less enjoyable, and a lot less memorable.

Here is to a healthy off-season of recovery, both mental and physical. Just stay the course Seahawks fans, and my life experiences tell me there are plenty more good times ahead.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Nice read. Not so sure about the "desperately needed" part :) but the point is well taken.

tlhud1789

Reaction score
Thank you for this post, great way to put it all in perspective for us fans.
Balance can be tough but oh so necessary in this experience. Complacency can come on so quick when things become easy. I didn't think I would survive the 1983 playoff loss to Oakland, the 1999 Jets failed TD that was called a TD, the jobbed 2005 debauchery, or a loss the other day to the Patriots.

If you are going to live by the sword you die by the sword in this fandom of professional football.

My dogs and cat snuggled up to me after the game the other night as if to say isn't life good? And in that moment I was saying no. But given a couple of days and a lot of deep breathing I have to answer them...yes it is, it still is.

45Hawker

Reaction score
I guess we all find ways to rationalize and deal with a loss of this magnitude - and this author has his way, loosely based on "I'm a more experienced fan than others, I know.".

Fine. It was a good game. But winning would have been better, in my opinion. The game was in our grasp. Who knows when we will return again...

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I didn't desperately need to have that loss, I've been a fan of the team since the Nordstrom family got the franchise and have seen lots of heart breaking losses but never one with this amount of galactic stupidity attached to it.

Nicely written article though which does help put things into perspective.

OP
OP
J

jlaff35

Reaction score
I thought he did a good job of not making it about Old school fan vs new fan. He even says that being a newer fan doesn't make you a lesser fan. I agree winning the game would have felt better, and it was right there for us to win. But we didn't, and we have to move on. Failure happens, but it doesn't have to define a person or a team. We failed similarly vs Atlanta in 2013, and look what happened the next year. This team will be great for a long time, I have no doubt.

hangumhi

Reaction score
If there is one silver lining to the loss it's that hopefully it'll weed out some of the idiotic bandwagon fans. Throughout the past few days I've heard more boneheads saying, "typical seahawks back to their old ways" I just shake my head and laugh in frustration. I don't care that we lost as much as how we lost. I'd rather get blown out than lose like that.

45Hawker

Reaction score
jlaff35":2qgz2dve said:
I thought he did a good job of not making it about Old school fan vs new fan. He even says that being a newer fan doesn't make you a lesser fan. I agree winning the game would have felt better, and it was right there for us to win. But we didn't, and we have to move on. Failure happens, but it doesn't have to define a person or a team. We failed similarly vs Atlanta in 2013, and look what happened the next year. This team will be great for a long time, I have no doubt.
I agree with your message, jlaff - we have to move on. But the thread title does state: "The Soul Crushing Loss that we Desperately Needed" it also included this statement:

For those new to the Seahawks you can choose to be frustrated by the outcome on Sunday, but I think the result is exactly what you needed.

I think that's twisting this way too far, in a bit of an arrogant way.

Hawkee

Reaction score
Thank you for the post. I especially like this sentence:

Life doesn’t let you choose only the good moments, and let you hide during the bad ones.

Hawkee

Reaction score
hangumhi":1pioh5bq said:
If there is one silver lining to the loss it's that hopefully it'll weed out some of the idiotic bandwagon fans. Throughout the past few days I've heard more boneheads saying, "typical seahawks back to their old ways" I just shake my head and laugh in frustration. I don't care that we lost as much as how we lost. I'd rather get blown out than lose like that.

I'm with you there.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Yeah, I mean, a loss is good for motivation. But realistically speaking, how much more motivated can these guys be? Green Bay are motivated as hell to get better after getting so close to the Super Bowl. Dallas are motivated as hell to get better. Arizona are motivated as hell to get better, and actually play in the playoffs with a quarterback.

Also, statistically speaking, what are the chances of a team making the Super Bowl for three straight years? It can't be good, at all.

OP
OP
J

jlaff35

Reaction score
Think about if we win it all next year (we are the favorites already, by the way).....no team has ever won 3 in a row....we would be winners of 2 out of 3 and our loss was in our grasps to be won...........that would be crazy

zhawk

Reaction score
I'm surprised, but I must admit. I'm upset about losing XLIX, but nowhere near as butt hurt as losing XL.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
To me, anything is better than a blowout. If we go down, I want them fighting to the last inch. I really do NOT understand why anyone would prefer their team to not mentally show, regardless of final outcome. That is a loser's mentality that gives you a built in excuse. The game was anyone's until the final seconds, which is exactly as a game should be played.

Mick063

Reaction score
Not well deserved.

I have never heard of a case of Stockholm Syndrome for football fandom before.

Don't put me in that category. I will not fall into the hopeful loser mode so quickly. Seattle fans should never accept being put "back in their place". The "comfort zone" of past losing seasons is not well deserved.

Bevell blew it. He will not be forgiven.

Jayburd14

Reaction score
If I was told 20 years ago that the Seahawks were going to 2 Superbowls in a row and they were going to win a blowout in one and lose in a heart break fashion in the other, I would have been ecstatic as hell.

JonRud

Reaction score
zhawk":3w11a3g2 said:
I'm surprised, but I must admit. I'm upset about losing XLIX, but nowhere near as butt hurt as losing XL.

Yup.